NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > San Francisco 49ers

Sponsored Links

Old 06.08.2010, 03:31 PM
All Pro

Default Training Camp Updates

Aubrayo Franklin a no show at training camp

Quote:
Defensive tackle Aubrayo Franklin, the San Francisco 49ers' franchise-tagged player, skipped his second day of training camp Monday and "it won't be his last" day missed, sources tell NFL.com's Steve Wyche.

San Francisco went through its first full contact sessions Monday without the player on whom it placed a $7 million franchise tender. Though Franklin wanted a long-term deal, the deadline has passed for negotiatons and Franklin's options are to sign the tender and play or continue to sit out.

He is in no rush to sign the deal, the source told Wyche. It is unclear how long he will wait.

Second-year player Ricky Jean-Francois is working with the first team defense in Franklin's place. Franklin is the only player absent.

Depending on the future collective bargaining agreement, Franklin could be designated a franchise player again in coming seasons, NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reported earlier this month. Regardless, the 49ers aim to secure Franklin's services past 2010, but they won't be able to do that until after the season.
Sponsored Links
Old 06.08.2010, 03:34 PM
All Pro

Scott McKillop likely to miss 2010 season

Quote:
San Francisco 49ers linebacker Scott McKillop tore the patellar tendon and anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during training-camp practice Wednesday and likely will miss the 2010 season.

The Sacramento Bee reported that McKillop suffered the injury when he jumped to deflect a pass and awkwardly landed on his left leg. Trainers tended to McKillop, who was carted off the field.

The 49ers confirmed the injury in a statement Thursday, but they didn't say if McKillop will have to sit out the season.

McKillop played in all 16 games as a rookie last season and led the 49ers in special-teams tackles last season. According to The Bee, McKillop had practiced as Pro Bowl linebacker Takeo Spikes' backup during training camp, but the injury gives third-round draft pick NaVorro Bowman and veteran Matt Wilhelm a chance at more playing time.
Old 08.08.2010, 11:34 AM
All Pro

LB Brooks out with kidney laceration suffered in practice

Quote:
San Francisco 49ers outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks will be out at least two weeks because of a lacerated kidney.

Brooks was hurt during Friday's morning practice. The injury originally was diagnosed as a bruised rib before tests revealed more extensive damage Saturday.

The 49ers didn't give a timetable for Brooks' return and said he will be re-evaluated in two weeks.

Brooks, who signed a two-year, $4.225 million contract extension in March, had a breakout season in 2009, when he recorded a career-high six sacks and tied a franchise record for a linebacker with four forced fumbles.

Brooks became a regular during third-down pass-rushing situations over San Francisco's final six games, recording five sacks in the last five games. The 49ers were grooming Brooks for a more extensive role this season, but his injury already is testing the team's depth at linebacker, two days after it likely lost Scott McKillop for the season.

The 49ers have Patrick Willis, Takeo Spikes, Manny Lawson and Parys Haralson leading a group of 13 linebackers at training camp. The team also has veterans Travis LaBoy and Matt Wilhelm in the mix.
Old 09.08.2010, 01:07 AM
All Pro

SF 49ers sign Kevin Jurovich

Quote:
The San Francisco 49ers announced on Sunday that they have signed WR Kevin Jurovich to a two-year contract.

Jurovich (6-0, 190) originally signed as an undrafted free agent with the Philadelphia Eagles on April 26, 2010, and was released on July 29.

Jurovich, a 24-year-old native of Santa Clara, CA, played collegiately at San Jose State, where he holds the school’s record for career receptions (160) and ranks fourth in career receiving yards (2,143). He attended Valley Christian High School in San Jose, CA.

Jurovich and fellow rookie wide receiver Bakari Grant both took part in the 49ers local pro day on April 14.

Jurovich will be wearing No. 14.
Old 10.08.2010, 08:33 AM
All Pro

Changes are in store for the O-line

Quote:
Just one week into training camp and the 49ers offense has experienced a changing of the guard. Make that guard, center and right tackle.

Mike Singletary confirmed those changes Monday, by announcing the addition of rookies Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati into the 49ers starting lineup and later sharing the diagnosis for center Eric Heitmann, who was carted off the field in the morning session after being injured in 11-on-11 drills.

The inclusion of the No. 11 and No. 17 overall picks into the first-team offense was perceived to be the big news of the day, but Heitmann’s tough break, a fractured left fibula, will be a difficult loss for the offensive unit.

After announcing that one of his offensive captains will be out 6-8 weeks, Singletary previously hinted the door was open for players like David Baas, Tony Wragge and Cody Wallace to take the starting center position.

Baas lined up in the afternoon as the team’s starting center, a position where he feels can play at a high level.

“I want to win just like everybody else. I’m coming out here competing, if they want me to compete at center, that’s what I’m going to do,” the six-year pro said. “I can’t sit here and complain about it. You have to move on and be the best football player at whatever position you can, so that’s what I’m doing.”

In a similar fashion, Davis and Iupati aren’t patting themselves on the back because of their new roles with the team. They’re focused on sticking with the attitudes that earned them starting jobs in the first place.

“It’s a positive thing, but at the same time, my goal is just to keep getting better,” Davis said. “It is a confidence boost, but you have to put everything in perspective. This is just the first step. I want to be the best player I can possibly be.”

Both players have spoken highly of their brief time with the 49ers offensive line coaches. They’ve also praised their veteran teammates for sharing valuable information.

“Everyone has a job to do and everyone communicates with each other,” Iupati said of his relationship with his fellow linemen. “There’s good chemistry going. They’re helping me and Anthony a lot. We’re constantly communicating with each other because we’re always trying to have the perfect play.”

And as Singletary explained, they’ll get the chance to play perfectly for the foreseeable future.

“I’ve talked with [Offensive Coordinator] Jimmy Raye, talked with [Offensive Line Coach] Mike Solari and made the decision to go ahead,” Singletary said. “We feel that we’ve seen enough and those guys have shown us that.

“First of all, they’ve showed us that they have the ability to step in and be able to do it. The second thing is, we realize that if that is the case, we have to give them the reps that they need to adjust and be ready.”

Solari’s energy and teaching methods has instantly rubbed off on his rookie pupils.

“As a group, we’re a reflection of our coaches,” Davis said. “Every group is a reflection of their coaches as far as their enthusiasm for the game and how they come to work.”
Old 10.08.2010, 08:35 AM
All Pro

Notes and Quotes from training camp

Quote:
For the first time under the Mike Singletary-era, music could be heard at the start of the morning practice. In the afternoon, the music switched up from contemporary music to jazz, showing an eclectic taste of music by the 49ers coaching staff.

Brit Miller is not afraid to enjoy himself during a rigorous training camp. After every morning practice, the second-year fullback makes sure to wear sunglasses while he recuperates his body in the cold tub. The sunglasses are a training camp necessity for Miller. “You put the shades on to feel good about yourself when you get in the cold tub,” Miller explained. “It’s a nice relaxation time. You feel like you’re somewhere else, totally different.” Miller said he and his teammates also play music to distract their minds from the cold conditions. “We have ‘Country Wednesdays’ and today we had a little bit of an ‘Eminem Monday.’” Miller pointed out that not all the talk is football-specific. “We have worldly conversations there. We talk about what’s going on with our families and things like that, but it is a good time to unwind.”

Santa Clara native and San Jose State product Kevin Jurovich joined his hometown team for the first time after being signed the previous day. Here’s what the wideout had to say about his first day with the 49ers. “It feels good to be a part of this team. Things were rally put into perspective when I was walking down the hall to sign my contract and I saw pictures on the walls of all the guys who I grew up watching. I’m excited to play here and I’m proud of it.”

Safety Reggie Smith joined in on punt returning duties for the first time of camp. At the University of Oklahoma, Smith fielded punts for the Sooners too. He returned three punts last season with the 49ers. His longest return went for a nine-yard gain.

The most memorable play of the afternoon session took place when Delanie Walker reached over Parys Haralson’s body to catch Alex Smith’s corner end zone pass during 7-on-7 work.
Old 10.08.2010, 04:02 PM
All Pro

Kentwan Balmer leaves camp for personal reasons

Quote:
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Former first-round draft pick Kentwan Balmer missed Monday's practice with the San Francisco 49ers for what coach Mike Singletary called "personal reasons."

Balmer drove away from the 49ers training facility at approximately 7 p.m. Monday, an hour after practice, according to the San Jose Mercury News.

Singletary would not elaborate on the reason for Balmer's absence. "I'm not going into that," he said. "He and I have to talk and figure some things out."

Singletary said he expects Balmer, a defensive lineman who finished last season on injured reserve with a hurt shoulder, to return to the team soon.

Balmer has been a disappointment to the 49ers since they selected him with the No. 29 overall pick of the 2008 draft.

Entering his third NFL season, Balmer has yet to start a game and has 40 career tackles with no sacks
Old 11.08.2010, 04:34 PM
All Pro

49ers sign LBs Davis and Long

Quote:
The San Francisco 49ers announced on Tuesday that they have signed LB Bruce Davis and LB Brandon Long. The team also announced that LB Martail Burnett was waived/injured.

Davis (6-3, 252) originally entered the league as a third round draft pick (88th overall) by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 2008 NFL Draft. He played in five games for the Steelers in 2008. Davis was released at the end of training camp in 2009 and was signed to the New England Patriots practice squad in October 2009, where he spent the remainder of the season. He was waived by the Patriots in May 2010, and was claimed off waivers by the Denver Broncos on June 1. The Broncos released Davis on July 27.

Davis, a 24-year old native of Los Angeles, CA, starred collegiately at UCLA where he ranks second in school history with 29.5 career sacks. He was a two-time All-American and All-Pac 10 selection.

Long (6-3, 254), originally signed with the 49ers on April 30, 2010, and was released on June 18.

Long, a 23-year old from Canton, OH, tallied 68 tackles in four seasons at Michigan State, including 11.5 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks, in 43 career games. As a senior in 2008, Long was named honorable mention All-Big Ten by the media and had a career-high 39 tackles, including 5.5 sacks.

Long will wear jersey No. 49 and Davis will wear No. 47.
Old 11.08.2010, 04:35 PM
All Pro

Sloppy Practice? Not to 49ers Defense

Quote:
In all of Eric Davis’ years of playing and broadcasting in professional football, it’s clear that the former 49ers cornerback knows a good defensive performance when he sees it. He also knows if the dominance takes place in practice, the session might be considered bad as a whole.

But the team’s current color commentator for preseason games wasn’t calling Tuesday’s morning practice poor. He simply understands that when both sides make an equal amount of plays, it could be construed as such. Davis knows even if the defense outplays their counterparts by the slightest of margins, the overall positivity can be somewhat diminished, just not in the defensive huddle.

“We used to say ‘Get the offense yelled at,’” recalled Davis of the mindset of the 49ers defenses he played with for six seasons (1990-1995). “It was always a bad day if we won practice. That’s just how it is in football.”

The 49ers defensive and offensive units traded counter blows on Tuesday while working on third-downs, nickel packages and red zone work primarily in the padded morning practice.

Highlight-worthy catches from receivers Dominique Zeigler and Kyle Williams stood out for the offensive group, while multiple bass breakups from rookie cornerback Patrick Stoudamire and a red zone interception by cornerback Nate Clements represented the best from the other side of the ball.

“We have probably one of the best defenses in the NFL, so we want to be tough on our offense,” explained defensive tackle Ricky Jean Francois. “When it’s time to play against somebody else, we want it to feel easier for them because they’ve been working against a tough defense all of camp.”

The second-year defensive lineman who has primarily worked at the starting nose tackle position in camp said red zone periods like the team worked on for most of Tuesday only increase the competition between the two sides.

“In the red zone, we’ll take the field goal, but we can’t give up seven points,” Jean Francois added. “Knowing that situation, it gets very competitive.”

Equally important to both sides was getting past the difficulty of Wednesday’s practice which saw members of both sides of the ball suffer severe injuries. Having the practice cut short was not ideal for the players – that’s why getting through the difficult day with the proper attitude was a key for the entire roster.

“After having a day like yesterday, fundamentals had to kick in,” Jean Francois said. “When you have those days when you run into a wall, that’s when your fundamentals should take over. It will override everything, no matter how tired you are.”

Veteran teammate Will James knows just what it takes to get through tough days at training camp. The 10-year veteran who signed with the 49ers late in free agency has dealt with the demands of training camp for years. Knowing how to approach practice the right way is one of his strengths.

“Coach Singletary challenged us to come out and really be focused in everything we do,” James explained. “For me, I try to stay focused on the details of everything I’m doing on the field. Every day there are things that you have to try and work on, try to focus on. I do that each day I’m out there.”
Old 11.08.2010, 04:37 PM
All Pro

Notes and Quotes from training camp

Quote:
The top play of the morning session took place when Alex Smith found Dominique Zeigler down the left sideline for a 25-yard gain. Zeigler used every bit of his 6-foot-3 frame to out-jump cornerback Shawntae Spencer for the ball.

On the very next play, Smith lofted a perfect 30-yard pass to Williams for a deep touchdown over James’ coverage.

Rookie tight end Nate Byham flashed some nice hands in making a 6-yard touchdown catch during red zone 11-on-11 work.

In the later stages of practice, Smith’s pass for Ted Ginn Jr. sailed high and was picked off by Clements, who did his best to return it down the left sideline for a good-sized gain.

David Baas continued to line up with the first-team offense at center. After practice he took 20 extra snaps with Smith, going over pass protections as well. Asked for his thoughts about Baas possibly stepping in for Heitmann, starting left tackle Joe Staley said Baas “has the intelligence to play in this offense.” Staley added, “Dave’s always been a guy who wants to be perfect. He expects perfection from himself.”

Tags
49ers