New York Jets Thread - Page 806 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Old 29.08.2018, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Guess we know who’s going to be starting at QB! Bridgewater has been traded to the Saints for a 2019 3rd rounder.

EDIT: We also give up a 6th rounder

Last edited by wayne ellis; 29.08.2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 29.08.2018, 07:44 PM
MVP

I hate this move.

I know everyone said it was coming but it’s a stupid move.

3rd round pick?? Hardly worth it.

I think we have now set Darnold up to fail.

Teddy could have easily started and given Darnold a year and more importantly the roster a year.

Throwing Darnold in with this roster.... he will be hounded out of town.

I despair of being a jets fan.

I hoped we would keep three QBs on roster like last year and year before.

But now we have Fitz and Darnold.

I’m selling my fandom on eBay... (following that knicks fan)

Teddy and Darnold as 1 and 2 made sense.

Or vice versa.

Third round pick.... hopefully we can get a good QB project in round three...

Haha saints are laughing here.

Edit - and we gave up sixth rounder????

Anyone that defends this move is crazy.

I’m done. We are the thickest franchise. We never learn and get mugged off constantly by idiots in our front office

Last edited by stocksy; 29.08.2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 29.08.2018, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Meh, we’ve flipped a backup QB whose best season so far barely tops mediocre (14 TDs, 9 interceptions) for a 3rd round pick, which it wouldn’t surprise me if we use as part of a trade for a pass rusher in the coming days. If Darnold struggles or gets injured, McCown’s still more than capable of holding down the fort.
Old 30.08.2018, 09:46 AM
All Pro

Darnold has shown himself more than capable of handling whatever has been thrown at him. In particular his ability to read the defence, adjust protection and, most importantly, to react to pressure and step up or escape the pocket, is light years ahead of most rookies (and a good many vets).

The line isn't that bad at pass pro (run blocking is a different matter) and only Qvale - a backup RT at LT - has allowed any significant pressure in pre season. He wont be there in the regular season. Darnold has coped with it anyway. No reason to expect it will change much.

It was clear Darnold was ready by pre season game 2. From that point on Bridgewater was surplus to requirements. The only reason to keep him round was injury and McCown is as good a backup as you need. Turning a player no one else wanted in April into a third round pick and virtually recouping everything we gave away to trade up for Darnold for the cost of $1m cap space is a fantastic move.

Think big picture: We traded up, got Darnold (the #1 QB of most experts in what most regarded as the strongest QB draft in years) and it ultimately has cost us only the difference between a second and a third round pick. That's great work by any GM.
Old 30.08.2018, 04:23 PM
MVP

You two guys

4 years of this now.

Blind faith every off season and telling me how it all makes perfect sense.

There was no down side to keeping Teddy. There is no downside to not throwing Darnold in.

In a few years I can see Darnold starting with his best roster - with his best offensive weapons in his professional career - for Montreal - after busting out of New York after being hammered in his rookie season. our third round flip for Teddy we used in trade now works in McDonald’s.

We have Cutler as our starter and he is mentoring a 2nd round pick that we are “better off sitting” as no point rushing him (the reverse logic you guys have been using on me with Petty etc and none of it worked - it’s clear we would have been better off starting them and see what happened.)

New Orleans are in the Super bowl and Teddy is looking at the MVP.

I honestly don’t understand why other teams are allowed two proper QBs and yet you guys seem happy with a perfectly “serviceable” but flawed and perennial loser McCown.

There was No issue keeping Teddy in a back up or starter role.

Him and A Sixth for a third is not a good deal and isn’t worth it.

We can only look stupid in this move.

If we wanna use a third for trade just use our own.

I know the above is a worse case scenario but come on.... it’s been the same deal over and over for years. For the first time we had a decent situation. Why force out ourselves out of it.

The experts hot on Darnold - they were quiet hot on Griffin and Manziel.....

Last edited by stocksy; 30.08.2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 30.08.2018, 05:33 PM
All Pro

The difference is that both Petty and Hackenberg looked lost when they played in preseason and in camp. They needed time because they were demonstrably not yet ready to play in the NFL. They still aren't and probably never will be. There's no reverse logic. Some are ready to play as rookies, some aren't and benefit from sitting. It's a case by case basis with no single right way of doing things.

Nothing I have seen from Darnold, or have read, gives me any indication he is not ready. The exact opposite in fact. Aside from a less than stellar OLine, which he has had no problem coping with up to now, I have no concerns. And every time he has played he reads the pressure and copes with it anyway.
Old 31.08.2018, 06:33 AM
MVP

Winning or losing preseason has little relevance to a successful NFL career.

Our roster is terrible. The weakest I can remember - Not one single player has any chance of ever being HoF - it’s awful. We have no game changers. We might between us list 4 or 5 out of the lot that are decent but we know it’s weak. Darnold is the one shinning light that we can build and hopefully attract talent.

Even if we get all super deluded (sorry I mean excited) I still don’t know why anyone would think keeping a decent and not “passable” QB Number 2 would be a bad thing.

This whole getting back what we traded away nonsense doesn’t cut it with me. We still have f proved we can draft anywhere near effectively as others so excuse me if I don’t get excited from a 3rd round pick and we knew as an org we need OL in FA and Draft and clearly didn’t sort it so as for needing that 3rd now to trade for one is a nonsense and highlights how bad we still are at the off-season period as a whole.

I can agree that Darnold might be ready. Much like I’m sure Flacco is ready or Wentz was ready or Brees is ready - you can still have a decent option at back up.

We still have no evidence that McCown is a magic mentor - in fact we have evidence that he isn’t one. His whole career he has never worked with a young QB that has achieved anything and he has stunk up and lost everywhere he has been.

Teddy however has suffered. He was hyped up and got injured and built himself back up - he is the sort of player perfect to show Darnold the right attitude.

Jets have 99 problems. Teddy wasn’t one.

I hope you are right but I have a terrible feeling that finally we have a guy (although you chaps tell me every year the new guy is the guy - even though now you say they weren’t) and we are setting him up to fail.

The fact also that we tried to sign Cousins for such massive money before we got Darnold also shows how stupid our front office still is.

Like every off season I will say the same - we will see this time next year.

But I’ve been right 100% every off season for years, not just about QB but when people try to convince me about depth in certain positions or the ability of certain individuals and all of them have proved to be mediocre at best.

I’m glad you guys are delighted again. It’s nice, I just can’t be happy about this nonsense anymore.

That roster is utter muck.

Worst I can remember.

While the teddy thing might not seem a big deal it’s typical for me of a move that a good solid well organised franchise doesn’t make.

Can’t wait to see what we spend the third on
Old 02.09.2018, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Surprised we released Clive Walford, thought he had a real shot at starting...
Old 03.09.2018, 04:10 AM
Pro

We have plenty of problems as a franchise, and Mac has plenty of question marks on his ability as GM.....but he deserves real credit for the Teddy trade.

For all it'd be nice to have a back up of his quality, we (a) would have lost him next March anyway and (b) have far too many holes to give up on a draft pick (which we could use to fill actual holes) for him.

For us to pick up a guy nobody wanted in March, and get the same for him which KC got for Smith or Bills or Tyrod, is a bloody good move by Mac. You can bleat all you want about "we never do anything with draft picks" but that's nonsense, doesn't mean you don't stop trying though? That third round pick could end up being terrible, or he could end up filling a need at guard or RB or WR for 5-10 years. It would be stupid to throw that away for one year of having an okay backup QB. We aren't anywhere near close enough to contending to be prioritising having a brilliant back-up.

As for holding Darnold back a year? Well, he looks good enough and nothing about his demeanour so far suggests that he'll buckle under the pressure. If he sits a year, then he's still got to come in next year and have the same pressure. Why put off a year?

I wouldn't class myself as willfully positive, we have lots of holes (oline, edge rush, special teams) and concerns (Bowles/Rodgers ability to scheme the most out of a loaded defence, Mac's drafting ability). We have a poor roster and we will struggle this year, I'd be surprised to see us hit 5-6 wins tbh. Darnold will also have bad days and make silly mistakes. It's part of the learning curve.

But I also don't see the point in just being angry and down on the team when they do something good.
Old 03.09.2018, 07:14 PM
All Pro

Darnold officially starter... again!