Frequently Asked Questions - Page 18 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > New to the NFL?

Old 10.02.2018, 09:25 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
It really was just that they needed a big space and an even bigger space around it for cars. And that means going to the middle of nowhere. Washington followed the exact same approach. There are a few like that in the US, but then lately the trend has gone more towards going back downtown. Easier said than done in New York though.
Its seriously in the middle of no where. You have a miles and miles of no where next to the carparks.

Decent stadium though, doesnt feel a super impressive stadium in the way Wembley, the Camp Nou or even the Bernabeu does, but effecient apart from the rail link.
Old 10.02.2018, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennis View Post
After watching the Brady to Gronk hail mary attempt it made me wonder why don't teams use it more often on 4th down as its a decent enough chance to get a lucky bounce or whatever and if you punt it you give possession back anyhow?
Risk vs reward. Hail Mary's are extremely low percentage, and if you fail, you're giving the opposition great field position...
Old 10.02.2018, 12:46 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennis View Post
After watching the Brady to Gronk hail mary attempt it made me wonder why don't teams use it more often on 4th down as its a decent enough chance to get a lucky bounce or whatever and if you punt it you give possession back anyhow?
Hail Marys are a very very low percentage play in terms success, and by their nature if you dont succeed you are giving up good field position, sometimes already within field goal range, so its sometimes basically a +7 or -3 points option, with a very low percentage chance of +7.

If not within field goal range, its at least much closer when you turnover on downs, and therefore you are losing 40 / 50 yards, which is a huge thing in terms of getting a stop. You are forcing your defense to either get a very quick stop to avoid being in goal scoring range, or force them back on the first set of downs to get them out of range.

A good punt, nailing an offense inside the 10 or even 5, is a huge thing. Not only is there the chance of safety, but at worst you have a good chance to go 3 and out, and get the ball back in a great position.

I dont know the stats, but I would suggest the percentage of successful safeties or 3 and out from a great punt turning into subsequent points, is much higher than a Hail Mary, with far less risk.
Old 10.02.2018, 10:40 PM
MVP

i don't know why a hail mary can't be attempted at the last play of the half when in an ok position. percentage wise it's a no loss except for an interception.
Old 10.02.2018, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-minute drill View Post
i don't know why a hail mary can't be attempted at the last play of the half when in an ok position. percentage wise it's a no loss except for an interception.
Most teams do, don't they?
Old 10.02.2018, 11:14 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Most teams do, don't they?
really, all i mostly see is kneels and boos from crowd for doing so.
Old 10.02.2018, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, depends on field position obviously. I'm surprised the Patriots didn't attempt one at the end of the first half on Sunday though...
Old 11.02.2018, 12:26 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Well, depends on field position obviously. I'm surprised the Patriots didn't attempt one at the end of the first half on Sunday though...
maybe cos

but yeah i'd launch it everytime at the end of the half.
del boy it. he who dares ...
Old 11.02.2018, 11:34 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
The kneeling team would be winning and if so there's always the risk of an interception or fumble before the pass.
Old 11.02.2018, 12:18 PM
All Pro

Kneeling is less risky. For a successful Hail Mary you need to let the play develop to allow players to get downfield, which isnt good when you have an expensive QB standing in the pocket waiting to get hit on a very low percentage chance of success.