Game Pass 2011 - UK Blackouts - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Old 06.08.2011, 09:10 PM

Default Game Pass 2011 - UK Blackouts

Hi everyone, wanted to start a specific thread for NFL Game Pass - blackouts in the UK. There has been a number of questions around the blackout policies in the UK as well as which games are / are not blacked out this season. So hopefully this thread can provide some answers as well as provide a thread where subscribers can discuss.

Why has the blackout rules in the UK changed from last season?
The blackout rules are based on the broadcast rights & restrictions in place for the UK. For previous seasons of NFL Game Pass, these blackout rules were not enforced as they were outlined. Therefore, nothing in the broadcast rights & restrictions have changed; however, respecting these rights & restrictions has been clarified and enforced for this season within NFL Game Pass.

Why now?
Because these are the rights & restrictions and NFL Game Pass is required to abide by them.

Which games are blacked out in the UK?
Sunday games aired on SKY Sports are subject to blackouts within Game Pass. ESPN games are NOT subject to blackouts in the UK.

Which Sunday games specifically will be blacked out? When will we know which Sunday games are selected?
Games subject to blackouts are selected as late as 72 hours before Sunday kickoff. However, as soon as we know which games are selected, we will update the NFL Game Pass FAQ.

Where will we be able to find out which Sunday games will be subject to blackouts each week?
We will update the NFL Game Pass Support/FAQ page as soon as we know which games will be selected.

Are Thursday Night, Saturday Night, Thanksgiving or any other games subject to blackouts in the UK?
No, these games are NOT subject to blackouts and will be available within NFL Game Pass.

If I buy NFL Game Pass in the UK, but travel to Europe, would I still have games blacked out or is it only if I actually am watching in the UK?
Blackouts only apply to selected games while viewing in the UK, regardless of where you originally purchased. Therefore, if you're travelling to Europe outside of the UK, games will not be affected by blackouts.

Where can I find out more about blackout rules for Game Pass?
You can find updated information at the NFL Game Pass Support page here: http://gamepass.nfl.com/nflgp/help_en_US.htm#BLACKOUTS

Feel free to discuss and ask any questions. Any updates, I will update this post.

Last edited by charlesp; 22.08.2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06.08.2011, 09:21 PM
All Pro

If I buy the gamepass as a "UK Resident" and happen to be traveling in Europe, would I still have games blacked out or is it only if I actually am watching in the UK?
Old 06.08.2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VABrit View Post
If I buy the gamepass as a "UK Resident" and happen to be traveling in Europe, would I still have games blacked out or is it only if I actually am watching in the UK?
Only viewing in the UK is subject to blackouts, regardless of where you originally purchased.

Great question, will add this to the original post.
Old 06.08.2011, 09:24 PM
All Pro

Probably been asked but do you guys know which games Sky are picking up yet?
Old 06.08.2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Pac View Post
Probably been asked but do you guys know which games Sky are picking up yet?
Another good frequently asked question. Answer is we do NOT know yet, but will post on the FAQs when we do know. This is somewhat already answered in the original posting, but will make it more clear. Thanks for asking!
Old 07.08.2011, 12:00 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesp View Post
Only viewing in the UK is subject to blackouts, regardless of where you originally purchased.

Great question, will add this to the original post.
Can we purchase in Oz and watch in UK? If so, I need to call a friend! Regardless of blackouts, it is $100 cheaper.

The other thing you don't specify is Sunday Night games. e.g. the one which starts at 1:30am UK time. Previous years, it has only been the 6 and 9pm games which were blacked out. Is this still the case, or is it now 3 games a week?

Later in the season, if a team plays on Sunday (Which is on Sky) and then again on Thursday, does that mean fans won't be able to watch the 1st game until after the 2nd game due to the 6 day blackout?
Old 07.08.2011, 07:25 AM
Starter

Angry

What happens for the last week of the regular season? Will UK subscribers have access for a full week (7 days) after January 1 2012, thereby allowing them to view the Sky 'blackout' games? Or does access end at the end of January 1 2012? If it is the latter, does it not go against the advertised 'access to every regular season game on demand'??
Old 07.08.2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp233 View Post
What happens for the last week of the regular season? Will UK subscribers have access for a full week (7 days) after January 1 2012, thereby allowing them to view the Sky 'blackout' games? Or does access end at the end of January 1 2012? If it is the latter, does it not go against the advertised 'access to every regular season game on demand'??
Access of the Season subscription is generally through the Friday prior to the Saturday Postseason Wild Card game. However, Season subscription access will be extended a few days to account for the blackout in the UK.
Old 07.08.2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokubetsu View Post
Can we purchase in Oz and watch in UK? If so, I need to call a friend! Regardless of blackouts, it is $100 cheaper.

The other thing you don't specify is Sunday Night games. e.g. the one which starts at 1:30am UK time. Previous years, it has only been the 6 and 9pm games which were blacked out. Is this still the case, or is it now 3 games a week?
This was already answered, see original post.
Old 07.08.2011, 07:43 AM
Pro Bowler

Send a message via Skype™ to the_walrus

So the season opener ISN'T blocked out, as it's a Thursday night?
Charles, you just made my weekend!

Tags
black out , blackout , blackouts , game pass , gamepass