New To College Football - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Sponsored Links

Old 10.12.2010, 01:46 PM
Pro Bowler

Also, as a niner fan, you might want to check out Stanford as your team if you want to stick in the area.

Or Cal (based in Berkeley). They're not too hot at the moment though. There are two other big teams in California, both based in LA they are Southern California (almost always referred to as USC) and UCLA.

In short, the four big California teams (in order of how good they are at the moment) are:

Stanford Cardinal
USC Trojans
California Golden Bears
UCLA Bruins.

The three smaller teams in California are Fresno State, San Diego State and San Jose State.

The link below is a map of where all Division 1 teams are based, and the conferences they are in...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...c/c4/Cfdia.PNG

I'm sure that some people might take issue with the list below, but I would say that these have been the most successful and big name teams since about 1960 (in no particular order, and with brackets if the where they are based isn't obvious):

Penn State Nittany Lions
Ohio State Buckeyes
Michigan Wolverines
Notre Dame Fighting Irish (Indiana)
Tennessee Volunteers
Alabama Crimson Tide
Florida State Seminoles
Florida Gators
Miami Hurricanes
LSU Tigers (Louisiana)
Texas Longhorns
Oklahoma Sooners
Nebraska Cornhuskers
USC Trojans (California)

College football can seem bafflingly complex to the uninitiated, but is (in my opinion) much more fun than the NFL, for all sorts of reasons. The regular season beats that of any other sport, at any level, for excitement. Losing even a single game can be (and normally is) fatal for a team's national title chances.

Last year's championship was fought out between two of the traditional powerhouses, Alabama and Texas. This year it'll be fought out between the Auburn Tigers (who last won it in 1957), and the Oregon Ducks (who've never won a national title in their 117 year history).

Just two little titbits to give you and idea of how big college football is in the States.

i) There are six American football stadia that hold more than 100,000. None belong to NFL teams - all college teams (Michigan, Penn State, Tennessee, Ohio State, Alabama & Texas).

ii) The Nebraska Cornhuskers play in a smallish city called Lincoln, which is about the size of Derby. Their stadium is comparitively small at just 86,000, but they have sold out every single home game that they've played since 1962 - 48 years!

Last edited by comrade; 10.12.2010 at 01:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10.12.2010, 01:49 PM
Pro

Regarding teams, i watch the most exciting teams duhhhh and also teams who use a pro style offence.

My football knowledge isnt great but its good seeing potential NFL stars playing and you see loads of high scoring encounters. I recommend buying Espn which comes with Espn America you get your moneys worth interms of football. Plus college gameday is good if you can put up with the awful advertising and screaming american fans.
Old 10.12.2010, 01:54 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by njwheelbarrow View Post
You guys are the BUSINESS!

This is one of the main reasons I'm getting interested. I know the players that I watch each week in the NFL have played a heck of a lot of football before reach my radar, I'd like to now watch some of it!

Cheers! Much appreciated.

That's quite a short season without any playoffs!

Balls. Guess I'll have to pick from one of the other 118 teams then.

Thanks for all the info! I'll be around these boards so I'll let you know how I get on. Out of interest, which college teams do you support?
I'm a Boise State fan. We're from Idaho, have a small, but very loud stadium, are one of the most exciting teams to watch and play on BLUE TURF! Just finished our last season in the WAC and are moving to the MWC next season, and we featured in two of ESPN's top 5 games of the season (vs. Virginia Tech at number 5 and @ Nevada at number one).

We've only been a Division I (FBS) school for 20 years, but we're one of the most successful small schools in that period, and I believe I'm correct in saying we are second to Ohio State in current streak of being a top 25 ranked team.

I don't tend to suggest people should support my team when people ask for the NFL, but Boise State is a great team to follow. Everyone either has a soft spot because we are underdogs or dislikes us because we are not one of the historical 'elite' teams.

Check us out! We are more on the West Coast though, not right on the coast, but we are one state in!
Old 10.12.2010, 01:55 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacino_1992 View Post
Regarding teams, i watch the most exciting teams duhhhh and also teams who use a pro style offence.

My football knowledge isnt great but its good seeing potential NFL stars playing and you see loads of high scoring encounters. I recommend buying Espn which comes with Espn America you get your moneys worth interms of football. Plus college gameday is good if you can put up with the awful advertising and screaming american fans.
ESPN Player (£13 per month) is good for watching games. All games broadcast on ESPN in the States (the vast majority) broadcast live and also archived for the whole season.
Old 10.12.2010, 02:00 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacino_1992 View Post
Just ashame college football is so corrupt and like the WWE. The BCS should be scrapped and the Ncaa should stop caring about making millions of dollars. Through stupid bowl games.

People are getting increasingly tired with system and would love a playoff system, 32 team system could easily be introduced with byes etc.
Is it the voting for BCS bowl games that is susceptible to corruption? Do teams buy/lobby for HC votes? Or are there problems with match fixing?
Old 10.12.2010, 02:09 PM
Pro

Quote:
Is it the voting for BCS bowl games that is susceptible to corruption? Do teams buy/lobby for HC votes? Or are there problems with match fixing?
Ermm sort of although there is acceptable evidence to prove that it works, but the headcoachs poll is rubbish I refuse to agree that oregon are the 2nd best team in the country.
Old 10.12.2010, 02:10 PM
Pro Bowler

While it's true that most fans would prefer playoffs, I'm not a fan of the idea, and certainly not a 32-game playoff. That would be utterly ludicrous.

What made the aforementioned Boise State@Nevada game so great was how much was riding on it. Losing was an absolute disaster for Boise. In a 16 or 32 game playoff, it'd have been a game with no relevance whatsoever, and half of Boise's starters would have been rested.

Whilst the bowl games aren't perfect, and mean that the season doesn't really end with as much of a bang as some would like - the system does make the regular season absolutely brilliant.
Old 10.12.2010, 02:15 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade View Post
ii) The Nebraska Cornhuskers play in a smallish city called Lincoln, which is about the size of Derby. Their stadium is comparitively small at just 86,000, but they have sold out every single home game that they've played since 1962 - 48 years!
Thanks for the info, Comrade! Those crowd stats are incredible, 100,000+ for non-pro sport, there's nothing like that in the UK. I've always been aware college football was popular and so always had a sense that I was missing out... time to play catchup methinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde203 View Post
The number of teams in each varies, but 10 to 12 is the norm. There are also teams such as Army, Navy and Notre Dame who are not a part of any conference.
If Notre Dame are one of the most successful teams and yet they don't play in a conference then what are they winning? Bowls?

(Great chatting with you all, I've got to work now but will check in later).
Old 10.12.2010, 02:19 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde203 View Post
ESPN Player (£13 per month) is good for watching games. All games broadcast on ESPN in the States (the vast majority) broadcast live and also archived for the whole season.
(Damn, this thread is addictive)

mde203, £13 a month, and you can watch those archived games any time you like? That's seriously tempting if it lets me watch college football and stay semi-functional in the UK timezone!
Old 10.12.2010, 02:47 PM
MVP

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Comrade! Those crowd stats are incredible, 100,000+ for non-pro sport, there's nothing like that in the UK. I've always been aware college football was popular and so always had a sense that I was missing out... time to play catchup methinks.

If Notre Dame are one of the most successful teams and yet they don't play in a conference then what are they winning? Bowls?

(Great chatting with you all, I've got to work now but will check in later).
Notre Dame have won a number of national titles. That's because of rankings. They still play good opponents due to their prestige, and don't need to be a part of a conference. How good a team is tends to be based on their national rankings rather than their conference wins.