Who do you support and why? - Page 4 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL in the UK

Old 25.01.2013, 01:43 AM
All Pro

I've posted this a few times before but I don't mind repeating myself as it is a bit amusing.

Basically the seeds were subliminally sown when I was a kid watching the Simpsons, specifically an episode called "You only move twice", where a running gag through the episode is how Homer's lifetime ambition is to own the Dallas Cowboys... Long story short, he ends up receiving ownership of the Denver Broncos which he pretty much disregards because they are deemed to be awful.

*Interesting fact however, the Broncos went on to win Superbowl XXXII just 3 months after that episode initially aired. So yeah.

Anyway, it didn't really take any effect until my mate picked up Madden '03 on the PS2, and we used to play it every time I saw him. He picked the Patriots as his team because they were the best on the game that year, and as the two team names I recognised were the Broncos and Cowboys, I decided to pick the Broncos as they were in my eyes seen as the Underdogs. (Although at the time, I think they were probably better than the Cowboys).

The next year I started watching the highlight shows that I think were on ITV2 that year? The following year, 2005, The Broncos got all the way to the AFC Championship game to play the Steelers, who eventually went onto win Superbowl XL. That was the first Superbowl I watched in it's entirety and loved it. From there it pretty much became my favourite sport overnight. I ordered my customised Jersey a few weeks later and haven't missed a Broncos game since.

So yeah, bit of a contrived reason, but still, unwavering loyalty to a team sometimes does come about in the weirdest of ways!
Old 25.01.2013, 07:36 AM
Pro

I was introduced to the NFL in 1987 when i was 6 by my dad, he wanted me to support the Redskins like him, but as a kid i really loved sharks and wanted to support a team called the sharks, ofc there were none so i chose the nearest thing to that and have supported the Dolphins ever since.
Old 25.01.2013, 09:13 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJayDixon View Post
*Interesting fact however, the Broncos went on to win Superbowl XXXII just 3 months after that episode initially aired. So yeah.
The ep actually aired in 96, a couple of months before XXXI. The Broncos were #1 seed then, but were eliminated in the divisional round..

I went to the first Wembley game in 2007 and decided to support whichever team won.. Thank god the Giants weren't upset by the Dolphins!
Old 25.01.2013, 09:43 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by domel9 View Post
The ep actually aired in 96, a couple of months before XXXI. The Broncos were #1 seed then, but were eliminated in the divisional round..

I went to the first Wembley game in 2007 and decided to support whichever team won.. Thank god the Giants weren't upset by the Dolphins!
Sorry, did mean to say a year and 3 months... Wrote that very late last night!
Old 25.01.2013, 10:12 AM
Rookie

I got into American Football during the '85 season and became a Redskins fan straight away. Not at all ashamed to say it was mainly because of the colours in their uniform
Old 25.01.2013, 12:03 PM
Rookie

Smile

I am a product of The International Series.

For the first game the Dolphins done a lot of work with my company as did NFLUK to promote the game, Cheerleader workshops, Nat Moore delivering a coaching session with local young people. And they also taught us how to coach flag football, I started off very cynical as I was ignorant to the game but instantly fell in love.

The way the Dolphins organisation handled themselves whilst over here and how they really got involved within the local community left an impression on me. Since then we have worked with a number of the other organisations and none have lived up to the Dolphins in my opinion.

Another big factor is that I always wanted to go to Miami, something that became reality this year when I went to Sun Life to watch the Phins get trounced by the Titans. And again everything the phins done on gameday was amazing as were the fans I came in to contact with. Two whom 'hosted' us by buying our beers all day and then taking us to the bars they own for more free food, more beer and a free ride back to south beach so me and my friend could continue the party.

I can't wait to go back to the states in October (sandwiched between the 2 IS games)

Tags
deja vu , nfl , nfluk , supporting a team , teams