Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 30.01.2009, 03:05 PM
Hall of Fame

Default Tennis Thread

thought i would start one by saying,

Tough Luck Fernando Verdasco.

you did everything but beat rafael nadal, 97 winners,

nadal was very very lucky to win there.

if Federer is watching, he now knows he needs to play like when he thrashed Andy Murray at the US Open final!

Who gonna win the Aussie, Serena or Safina, Federer or Nadal.

And go Laura Robson, winner of wimbledon and now finalist of the Aussie Open
Old 30.01.2009, 03:33 PM
Hall of Fame

I didn't see the game but I just saw the stats ESPN flashed up on Sportscenter.

Points wise, they were separated by one point (193-192). The guy stat was that Verdasco made 76 unforced errors and Nadal 25. I know stats don't tell us the whole story, but that seems to be the difference and I don't think that comes down to luck.
Old 30.01.2009, 04:08 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul31 View Post
I didn't see the game but I just saw the stats ESPN flashed up on Sportscenter.

Points wise, they were separated by one point (193-192). The guy stat was that Verdasco made 76 unforced errors and Nadal 25. I know stats don't tell us the whole story, but that seems to be the difference and I don't think that comes down to luck.
Verdasco played outstanding, Nadal seemed willing to throw it back into the court at times.
Old 30.01.2009, 06:14 PM
All Pro

It was quiet possibly the best game of tennis i have ever seen (and that does include the fed v nadal wimbledon final from last year). Verdasco played brilliantly and i thought he might be able to pull it off, but it just wasnt to be. I did laugh at how everyone said that murray would easily beat verdasco in the fourth round, the folk who claimed that needed to watch more tennis as then they would of see verdasco has been playing really well recently (i still thought murray would win it but expected verdasco to win at least a set and push him hard in the others).

For the finals i cant see past serena and federer. I hope safina wins it tho as the williams sisters annoy me. Federer has looked awesome in his last couple of games and after nadal being on court for 5 hours 14 minutes (and federer having an extra rest day) i cant see nadal being able to stay with him.

I do hate how federer has had an extra days rest, they need to sort out the schedule so that both semi's are played on the same day like at wimbledon as an extra days rest does give a player an advantage, and since its a final of one of the four biggest tournaments of the year you need it to be as even as possible.
Old 31.01.2009, 01:50 AM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to neenpa

Easily the best game of tennis I have seen, including last years Wimbledon final. Well worth staying up til 3.15am for. Was really pulling for Verdasco as I just cant stand Nadal - atleast hes started to man up a bit this year by getting rid of the girly singlet and long baggy shorts.

The entire game was essentially on Verdasco's racket. He won the points, he lost the points. Although credit to Nadal for staying in and winning some of those points. Ridiculous. It was a real shame how it ended.

Pulling for Federer and Safina in the finals, however I think Serena will be too good.
Old 31.01.2009, 09:55 AM
All Pro

Gutted that safina didnt at least put up a decent fight. Although i wasnt at all surprised to see serena win it, however i thought safina would of won more than 3 games. After safina had broke to start the second set i thought she might be coming back into it more but sadly it wasnt to be.