Now Extremely Concerned about the death of our 1st class NFL coverage - Page 6 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Old 04.08.2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re:Very Very Concerned

[quote author=KBell97 link=board=2;threadid=11910;start=45#msg265496 date=1123173252]
[quote author=Mini-Mod link=board=2;threadid=11910;start=30#msg265054 date=1123101511]
You don't have to subscribe to Sky, but unless you can get it through Freeview you have to subscribe to some sort of cable or digital package, and as a student I can't afford to do that! Hence I and many others want it on terrestrial where it's accessable!
[/quote]

You can use a cheap Sky Box (with no subscription) and a number provided by NASN. Therefore, you pay a small price for the box, and then the small monthly installment for NASN.

If you can't or don't want to committ to this, then that would be your prerogative, but there's no sense in saying it's NASN's extortionate prices that are putting you off. £10 (or whatever it is) is £10. To most that have NASN, they see it as a better investment than 4 pints down your local boozer.

NASN is the same as ****, movies, soccer teams' channels and others: they can't give it to you via terrestrial means. Don't you think they would if it was possible? Of course they would. Talk about maximising their £££.
[/quote]

I'm not complaining about the price of NASN, I'm just saying that until recently (well actually today) I didn't know that you didn't have to subscribe to Sky or ntl or whatever to get it! £10 isn't a great amount to pay for established fans who want to view it. But how many new fans do you really think you're gonna get if you hide the coverage away on NASN? It's not a problem for those who want to view it, but you aren't going to get anybody channel hopping and finding the NFL because they won't have the channel!
Old 04.08.2005, 05:37 PM
Pro

[quote author=Mini-Mod link=board=2;threadid=11910;start=45#msg265535 date=1123176379]
[quote author=KBell97 link=board=2;threadid=11910;start=45#msg265496 date=1123173252]
[quote author=Mini-Mod link=board=2;threadid=11910;start=30#msg265054 date=1123101511]
You don't have to subscribe to Sky, but unless you can get it through Freeview you have to subscribe to some sort of cable or digital package, and as a student I can't afford to do that! Hence I and many others want it on terrestrial where it's accessable!
[/quote]

You can use a cheap Sky Box (with no subscription) and a number provided by NASN. Therefore, you pay a small price for the box, and then the small monthly installment for NASN.

If you can't or don't want to committ to this, then that would be your prerogative, but there's no sense in saying it's NASN's extortionate prices that are putting you off. £10 (or whatever it is) is £10. To most that have NASN, they see it as a better investment than 4 pints down your local boozer.

NASN is the same as ****, movies, soccer teams' channels and others: they can't give it to you via terrestrial means. Don't you think they would if it was possible? Of course they would. Talk about maximising their £££.
[/quote]

I'm not complaining about the price of NASN, I'm just saying that until recently (well actually today) I didn't know that you didn't have to subscribe to Sky or ntl or whatever to get it! £10 isn't a great amount to pay for established fans who want to view it. But how many new fans do you really think you're gonna get if you hide the coverage away on NASN? It's not a problem for those who want to view it, but you aren't going to get anybody channel hopping and finding the NFL because they won't have the channel!
[/quote]

I think that's why NASN do have Freeviews, so in the off chance of people flicking through channels and coming across NASN and thinking to themselves "This is quite good, I'll find out more". Another customer for NASN. But I do agree that it won't bring new fans to the game but I hope that they do try and get something because I can't afford Sky.

Is it possible to get a game at the same time as Sky?
Old 04.08.2005, 05:39 PM
Pro

When I say "game" I mean an NFL game at 6:00pm/9:00pm on Sundays.
Old 04.08.2005, 05:47 PM
All Pro

[quote author=The Godfather link=board=2;threadid=11910;start=45#msg265521 date=1123175186]
Well you can buy every game of the whole baseball season for around £50 which is wa less than NASN.

You can buy a college football package for around the same online with far more games than NASN without having to miss the whole of October.

You can also watch PTI on ESPN if you get Insider if you really care that much.
[/quote]

You make my point for me mate. Pix-and-mixing it would cost WAY more than NASN.

If you have a vested interest in only one or two sports (or shows), fine.
Old 04.08.2005, 05:49 PM
All Pro

[quote author=Mini-Mod link=board=2;threadid=11910;start=45#msg265535 date=1123176379]
I'm not complaining about the price of NASN, I'm just saying that until recently (well actually today) I didn't know that you didn't have to subscribe to Sky or ntl or whatever to get it!
[/quote]

No problem mate.

But how many new fans do you really think you're gonna get if you hide the coverage away on NASN?
[/quote]

I think people overestimate the amount of people who watch it on C5 to be honest. It's not like the NFL is going to be losing millions of viewers. Far, far, far from it.

Besides, I thought you were talking about NASN in general, not just for NFL.
Old 04.08.2005, 06:15 PM

[quote author=KBell97 link=board=2;threadid=11910;start=45#msg265550 date=1123177661]
[quote author=The Godfather link=board=2;threadid=11910;start=45#msg265521 date=1123175186]
Well you can buy every game of the whole baseball season for around £50 which is wa less than NASN.

You can buy a college football package for around the same online with far more games than NASN without having to miss the whole of October.

You can also watch PTI on ESPN if you get Insider if you really care that much.
[/quote]

You make my point for me mate. Pix-and-mixing it would cost WAY more than NASN.

If you have a vested interest in only one or two sports (or shows), fine.
[/quote]

Not really. Baseball is the only live sport during the summer outside of that CFL trash and the occasional Nascar. You are not forced to play for a whole year, it's a one off payment. The average person is not obsessive about every sport on there and therefore can get better value else where. They also have the personal choice rather than having to watch the same old teams NASN show even if they suck such as the Cubs.
Old 04.08.2005, 06:51 PM
All Pro

If you dont like it dont watch it. Simple.

To me NASN is the best channel around, £10/month with Telewest and you pay month to month, not for a whole year at once. Hopefully live NFL will be added to the mix.
Old 04.08.2005, 07:37 PM
Pro

I can't believe that argument Godfather - its as weak as it is mad bizarre

£120 per year for coverage of ALL the major sports leagues in the US - with College sports and discussion programs to boot - as opposed to nearly four times as much for coverage of the top 10 in the Barclaycard Visa Mastercard Sainsburys Reward Card Premiership.............

The MLB TV offer is good, don't get me wrong but you simply cannot fault NASN for value, there is little team bias and the mix of sports has something for everyone - and I reckon its the BEST vlue channel on SKY

Hell, I have to pay more than that for my TV licence and I rarely ever watch the BBC - if someone can get me a refund I will buy a subscription for one lucky student with that money ;D

I also have to say that it is short sighted to believe a high value product like the NFL coverage is going to remain on terrestrial TV for long into the future - even our most popular sport of soccer is now poorly covered on terrestrial TV so why would another country's sports be any different?

I also don't believe coverage at 1am onwards is going to attract many new fans - you can barely even notice it in newspaper/magazine TV listings when you are looking for it so how many non-**** casual viewers will stumble across the 5 or ITV coverage ???

You get what you pay for - I'm lucky I guess in that I have a job that allows me cash to spend on what I want - but then again students have chosen the path of of further education of their own accord

And I have little doubt we have heavy smokers / drinkers complaining about not being able to afford £11.........which always makes me laugh

;D ;D

Old 04.08.2005, 07:52 PM

[quote author=KBell97 link=board=2;threadid=11910;start=45#msg265551 date=1123177755]
I'm not complaining about the price of NASN, I'm just saying that until recently (well actually today) I didn't know that you didn't have to subscribe to Sky or ntl or whatever to get it!
[/quote]

No problem mate.

But how many new fans do you really think you're gonna get if you hide the coverage away on NASN?
[/quote]

I think people overestimate the amount of people who watch it on C5 to be honest. It's not like the NFL is going to be losing millions of viewers. Far, far, far from it.

Besides, I thought you were talking about NASN in general, not just for NFL.
[/quote]

Insomniacs would find the NFL on C5!

And my point about value was for people only buying it for the NFL coverage, that isn't good value because the live broadcasts are dominated by baseball, hockey and basketball. Plus the discussion shows you can get better info for free on the intertwit. If you're paying for knowledgeable substance then you're off base in my opnion, for me the value comes from the entertainment and the ability to see different teams.
Old 04.08.2005, 08:05 PM
All Pro

So we are all agreed, we think NASN is good value for the US sports fan.
It is good for alot of us in different ways and we have no MAJOR problems with it.
apart from Ed who likes it but thinks that it is bad because others can't get it, who may be US Sports fans yet to realise there passion.

or somewhere along those lines.