Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 420 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 16.09.2015, 02:39 PM
Pro Bowler

I'm not convinced Royal and Jeffery were fully fit to be honest, hoping they'll be more explosive in the next few games.

Wilson caught most of the balls that went his way (and was open on the Cutler interception pass).

I don't think we committed that many penalties either, which surprised me. I thought we'd commit loads with players still learning positions. The Packers committed a lot more than we did.

I think it'll take Long a while to adapt to Tackle, would rather have him at Guard and another player at Tackle, but obviously others have struggled there.
Old 29.09.2015, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

So, the Bears trade Jared Allen to the Panthers for a sixth rounder. Makes sense all around. Panthers add a pass rusher after losing Charles Johnson. Jared Allen gets to play his proper position and the Bears were never going to re-sign Allen so they get a bit of something back for him.

Also, the Bears trade Jon Bostic to the Patriots for... yep, a sixth round pick. Bostic has been a bust for the Bears. Very athletic but lacks instincts. According to what I've read Fox (and presumably Fangio) doesn't see him as a fit in the scheme. Nevertheless, I would never trade anyone to the Patriots they have a way of making you look stupid.

The dismantling of the Emery era steps up a gear.
Old 29.09.2015, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Question.

Should the Bears try and move Matt Forte?

A few things to consider:
  • He is a Free Agent after the season, and will not likely re-sign for a rebuilding team.
  • We have a lot of cap room, will not likely get any comensatory picks for losing him.
  • I think he deserves a shot at a Championship personally.
  • We have pretty good young talent at RB in Langford and Carey
Old 29.09.2015, 09:53 AM
Pro Bowler

You do wonder if he'll be with us next year, could Franchise tag him I guess?

I think Jeffery is in line for a new contract too. And Ratliff should he perform well again this year.

Really would be a long season if we had Clausen at QB and no Forte though.
Old 29.09.2015, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBEARSFAN View Post
You do wonder if he'll be with us next year, could Franchise tag him I guess?

I think Jeffery is in line for a new contract too. And Ratliff should he perform well again this year.

Really would be a long season if we had Clausen at QB and no Forte though.
I don't think there is even a slight chance he is with the team next year.

I cannot envision us using the tag on him. He made $9m last year so his cap figure with the tag would be in the $11m region. I believe that tag was $10m for RBs last year, so it would be 120% of his 2015 cap hit I think.

As much as I love Fotre, I don't think he wants to re-sign, but he's been a pro about it. The Bears are rebuilding and Forte will be 30, there's little to be gained by tagging him. Meanwhile I think they've got both Langford and Carey who the organization like. They're not likely to be Forte, but when you are trying to get younger and free cap space the business side of football matters.

I suppose the question is whether there would be a market.
Old 29.09.2015, 11:20 AM
Pro Bowler

Should be a very different team next year, possibly no Cutler (released/traded) Forte, we shopped Bennett around so may do the same again this off-season, I would imagine we'll re-sign Jeffery, not to mention players like Bushrod on the O-Line.

Defensively we're still trying to find the right parts for the 3-4 Defense. I think the D-Line is doing okay, Linebackers need to improve and Secondary is shoddy.
Old 29.09.2015, 11:45 AM
MVP

Agree with Oli, Forte will be gone one way or another before next years draft.

I really like Langford, has the making of a bell cow back.

If we were to flip Forte, I'd want a second, although realistically it would end up being a 3rd.

Who knows if a contender comes knocking with a banged up backfield....
Old 29.09.2015, 12:09 PM
All Pro

Jesse Solomon, Darrin Nelson and Issiac Holt plus draft picks pls
Old 29.09.2015, 12:12 PM
All Pro

Forte has been our best player for years; he is in the true elite in production since we drafted him.

I don't he will be a Bear next season, which is sad really, but that is pro sport.

If we can move him now for a 3rd pick, or player who will fit in the future I'd say do it. This season was always going to be a try-out for next year.

I think a 6th rounder for Bostic is fair enough, a bargain even... but yes we know what happens with rejects in NE.

i'm not happy with a 6th for Allen though; he will play straight away and do at worst a decent job. 5th rounder sounds more like it.

Cutler will not be here unless he tears up the contract and plays for a fair price: unlikely right. We will have a rookie or a journeyman QB next season. We need some luck that a quality QB falls to us in the draft.
Old 29.09.2015, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
Agree with Oli, Forte will be gone one way or another before next years draft.

I really like Langford, has the making of a bell cow back.

If we were to flip Forte, I'd want a second, although realistically it would end up being a 3rd.

Who knows if a contender comes knocking with a banged up backfield....
I think we'd do well to get a 4th for him to be honest. It's a short term "loan" so I strongly doubt anyone will give up a 3rd for him. But a 4th Rounder would be a nice addition for the Bears efforts to stockpile more talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBEARSFAN View Post
Should be a very different team next year, possibly no Cutler (released/traded) Forte, we shopped Bennett around so may do the same again this off-season, I would imagine we'll re-sign Jeffery, not to mention players like Bushrod on the O-Line.

Defensively we're still trying to find the right parts for the 3-4 Defense. I think the D-Line is doing okay, Linebackers need to improve and Secondary is shoddy.
I agree it also seems likely Bennett is gone. I feel like it might be best too. It feels like he's going to become a bit of negative force in the organization if he stays.

I do think Cutler will be the QB next year. We'll see how the rest of the year goes, but I still think he's a slid starting QB. He played well in 1.5 games and had more command of the offence. The only reason I see us moving on is if we draft a QB. But none of the guys coming out are very well regarded as pro prospects, and I don't think any will be good day 1 options.

Given that we need to rebuild the D entirely I think it would be smart to invest in the D next off-season. Perhaps add a few pieces in Free Agency to the o-line. But it's all very early for that sort of talk.