Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 421 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 29.09.2015, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by payton3434 View Post
i'm not happy with a 6th for Allen though; he will play straight away and do at worst a decent job. 5th rounder sounds more like it.
Once Sam Acho came back I think the writing was on the wall. Acho was always going to be the starter and Allen a situational pass rusher. So when you look at the snaps on Sunday and Acho goes straight back in I don't think it's a huge loss. I think a 6th is fair value in both cases.

I suspect, given that a few things affect that decision:

1. Allen is 33 and not going to be re-signed.
2. Allen himself wants to play DE.
3. Acho is ahead on he depth chart.
4. Carolina offered something in return, as opposed nothing after the season.
5. Houston and Young have been ok as situational guys so no big drop from pass rushing perspective.
6. We want to play more coverage at OLB. McPhee is a downhill player, we need one OLB who can drop of we rush 5 on every down. Acho can do that.
Old 29.09.2015, 02:36 PM
Starter

Well said olig23.

I'd have cut Allen, just so you can use the reps to assess what you have in Acho and Houston for next year, so to get a 6th is great.

The panthers aren't in our division and we don't play them - who cares how he is does.

The sooner some people realise this a rebuild the better. As I've already said I'd have happily seen him cut - he won't be on the team next year let alone when the Bears are good again.

There was zero point keeping him - I'd rather be terrible and young, then just really bad and really old. (though you could possibly argue he's been so bad you keep him to help our draft position)

Finally we've a GM who is accumulating picks not trading them away. The best thing about the whole thing is they are being aggressive and looking to the future and seeing that this isn't a patch job like previous GM's (my thoughts on Emery being obvious from my posting history).

Last edited by Kennyb3; 29.09.2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 29.09.2015, 02:46 PM
All Pro

Some people?

Didn't say we should keep him, said I think we could have negotiated a pick that has any real world value.
Old 29.09.2015, 03:23 PM
Starter

Quote:
Some people?
Wasn't directed at you per se. Bears fans tend to always want things patched up and to win now. We are not a patient bunch. It's time things were done right - that we start accumulating draft picks rather than trading them away, that we stop signing over the hill vets (some to big contracts) to patch things up when all it does is help us win meaningless games bceause we've slightly more talent than the other medicore teams meaning we miss out on players like Aaron donald or Leonard Williams, for example, by a spot or two cause we won that 4-11 game to move to 5-11. This rebuild has been coming for years due to poor drafting and an ageing roster. At least it's been accepted now by the current GM.

Quote:
Didn't say we should keep him, said I think we could have negotiated a pick that has any real world value.
How do you figure that? Do you think Pace just took the first offer going or what do you mean? What would you base the value of an over the hill and terrible DE on? I just can't see who or what you are marking it against?

All picks have 'real world value' you just have to pick the right players. They are also useful for packaging for trade ups.

I'm genuinely surprised anyone gave us anything for him.

Looking at it the opposite way if I was a Panthers fan i'd be pissed - signing 34yo DE's and giving up a pick isn't how to build a roster for long term success.

Last edited by Kennyb3; 29.09.2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 29.09.2015, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

In fairness, I think as a rule of thumb teams never get quite the value in terms of picks that we naturally perceive they should.

When we got Marshall for a third he was a borderline elite talent with issues and in his prime years.

It makes you realize just how crazy the Colts trading a first for Trent Richardson really was. Also, why I felt the Hawks were nuts to give up a 1st for Jimmy Graham.

I'm happy we got thing in return for Allen and Bostic. I'd be happy (and very sad) if we could get a 4th for Forte too. Assuming he certainly does not want to re-sign. And in a way I'm not sure it even makes sense for the team to re-sign him to be honest - aside from the heart saying DO IT.
Old 29.09.2015, 08:39 PM
MVP

The cull continues with Brock Vereen waived.
Old 30.09.2015, 07:54 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
The cull continues with Brock Vereen waived.
And a couple of Jaguars' special teamers picked up.
Old 30.09.2015, 08:02 AM
MVP

Reports/Rumours that Forte is on the block and being actively shopped.

Denver seems like an ideal spot for him? He gets a shot at play off football and who knows after that. Denver get a possible solution to their ground game which just hasnt got going this season.
Old 30.09.2015, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
Reports/Rumours that Forte is on the block and being actively shopped.

Denver seems like an ideal spot for him? He gets a shot at play off football and who knows after that. Denver get a possible solution to their ground game which just hasnt got going this season.
Personally, I can see some logic there, but I think they have a potential stud in CJ Anderson. I know he's looked terrible through three weeks but you can tell he's hurt and their o-line is a total mess. If they want to trade for Forte then that's fine by me.

I think Dallas makes some sense too. It would be perfect if more than one team wanted him, but I think unlikely.
Old 30.09.2015, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBEARSFAN View Post
And a couple of Jaguars' special teamers picked up.
This should not go un-noticed.

One of the areas I am most angry about is our kick coverage unit. In Week 1 I felt like Ty Montgomery was potentially going to break a huge one, and then both Arizona and Seattle do it the next two weeks.

Losing Dave Toub was one of those massively under-rated blows. He's the best ST coach in the NFL (along with Bobby April) and losing him you can really see the impact.