Team Colours - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Old 01.12.2016, 04:20 PM
Rookie

I agree many will have no issues switching as lots of fans pick there team at random or took in a game while on holiday by chance - so many will switch to the mythical London team should it happen.

Having worked in Detroit for 3 years in the late 1990s and been a Lions season ticket holder for 2 of those years I guess my ties are a little harder to break than the average NFL fan in the UK no matter how hard the Lions try with there play I keep going back stateside for more lol.

I don't tend to have any other NFL team merchandise apart from a Manning 2010 Superbowl Colts Jersey as aside from Megatron Peyton Manning is my fav ever NFL player.

pozbaird - I was at NRG ON 30th October to see the Lions nice stadium and have been several times to the University of Phoenix Stadium the spaceship in the desert as I like to call it. Be sure to check out Chase Field when in Phoenix not sure if baseball is your thing but Chase Field is one of the coolest stadiums in sport for an overall fan experience I have been to the seats are great foods great worth going to a game if the Dbacks are in town as bad as they are the stadiums very cool and tickets are cheap - if LA are in town LA will outnumber the Dback fans more or less.
Old 01.12.2016, 04:20 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
On fans and a London franchise, I think it's not correct to say nobody would support it. OK, I'm a huge fan of one particular team and am unlikely to change, and perhaps you are too. But plenty of people aren't such big fans of a team that they are beyond switching. If I'd started arbitrarily supporting the Steelers 2 years ago, had only seen non-Steeler games at Wembley, never seen them in the States and just watched whatever games Sky gives me, then I don't think switching would be a big thing. I've switched my soccer team and I know plenty of others who have too. As have plenty of Americans switched their NFL allegiances over the years. I'm sure LA has more Rams fans this year than it did last year. People who grew up in Baltimore post-Colts and pre-Ravens probably switched to the Ravens from someone else, perhaps Washington or Dallas. I know in central Ohio lots switched from the Browns to the Bengals and stayed with the Bengals once the Browns left for Baltimore in the mid-90s, even though the Browns then returned. People in Charlotte probably supported other teams before the Panthers got there. If you stuck the Raiders in San Antonio you'd have more Raiders fans in that town than you do now, etc etc. Put a team here that plays here 8 times a year and is on TV every game and enough people will follow it. I'm not saying it will happen by the way, just that fanbase won't be the sticking point.
If the London Mythical Franchise was created, and their 8 regular season home games replaced the IS as we know it, here's what I'd do...

Pick two home games I fancied going to based on opponent, time of year and my ability to spend a weekend in London based around other commitments.

Support the London Mythics against anyone bar the Broncos.

Continue wearing my Broncos jerseys to all games.

Might supplement it by wearing a London Mythics baseball cap.

Would probably steer well clear of buying any London Mythics jerseys for the following reasons - the team will likely be called something utterly naff' like the Royals, Kings, Monarchs, Windsors, Dead Dianas... and will likely play in a red white and blue uniform with Union flags stuck on it.

Not for me. Just hope the London starting QB (Kyle Orton, Tim Tebow or Tony Romo) does the business.
Old 01.12.2016, 10:35 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozbaird View Post
If the London Mythical Franchise was created, and their 8 regular season home games replaced the IS as we know it, here's what I'd do...

Pick two home games I fancied going to based on opponent, time of year and my ability to spend a weekend in London based around other commitments.

Support the London Mythics against anyone bar the Broncos.

Continue wearing my Broncos jerseys to all games.

Might supplement it by wearing a London Mythics baseball cap.

Would probably steer well clear of buying any London Mythics jerseys for the following reasons - the team will likely be called something utterly naff' like the Royals, Kings, Monarchs, Windsors, Dead Dianas... and will likely play in a red white and blue uniform with Union flags stuck on it.

Not for me. Just hope the London starting QB (Kyle Orton, Tim Tebow or Tony Romo) does the business.
Papa O at QB would be sweeeeeeeeet! To be honest if someone from Scotland will travel down to 2 games a season of a franchise that's great. I don't think I'd even make it to all 8 and I live 2 miles from Spurs' ground.
Old 04.12.2016, 09:59 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozbaird View Post

Would probably steer well clear of buying any London Mythics jerseys for the following reasons - the team will likely be called something utterly naff' like the Royals, Kings, Monarchs, Windsors, Dead Dianas.
No. We have had this debate already and we agreed on the London Werewolves and they would run out to Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon so their fans (all 500 of them) can go "Aaaaaaaa-whooooooo!".

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/se...a&action=click

(From about 38 seconds in)
Old 05.12.2016, 11:52 AM
Team Captain

I was in Vegas for the Superbowl in 2015 and attended a "Party", the one thing that struck me was I saw pretty much every team represented, I know it wasn't in the stadium so it's slightly different, but could you see a Man Utd fan going out to the Pub in his shirt to watch the FA Cup final between Arsenal and Liverpool.

I've been following my team for years now, I would still follow the Franchise here (if it shows up) I know I wouldn't have the same admiration for them but I would still cheer them on. I would prefer a whole new franchise to be set up as it never feels the same when one just packs up and moves elsewhere but the chances of that happening are similar to Harambe being voted for President.......................
Old 09.12.2016, 07:12 PM
Rookie

I think if you try to look at it from their point of view it does look odd. I would find it funny if Man U played Chelsea in the US and there were people sitting there in Man City, Liverpool, Spurs and West Ham shirts so I guess it's the same thing, however over here we get the games we get and it's our only chance to wear our shirts to a game so we wear them with pride, although I got quite a bit of stick wearing a Ravens shirt to the Bengals game.
As for switching allegiances to the London team, for me it isn't going to happen, I picked the Ravens after they were in the game that got me watching the sport (Super Bowl 47) so I'll stick with them through thick and thin now, I might keep one eye on the London team (hopefully they'll be in the NFC making this easier) but when they play the Ravens I know which side I'll be on.
Old 09.12.2016, 08:09 PM
Rookie

I am a Falcons fan but if the Mythics were created in London I think they would quickly become many's second team.

When going to watch I would buy a jersey for the Mythics which i would wear to the games unless they are playing the Falcons i think this would show how serious the fan base is in the UK and not result in the franchise only lasting a short time here.

London Mythics will become the new name
Old 09.12.2016, 08:38 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneF View Post
London Mythics will become the new name
No. London Werewolves.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooohhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
Old 13.12.2016, 09:47 PM
Pro

For me personally the 4 games we now have is just about right.

I can just about justify the cost of coming down to London 4 times in 6 weeks to watch NFL teams.

Should a franchise ever come to London i doubt i would be a season ticket holder. I would have to pick and choose a couple of games.

And i will always be a Giants fan as i have been for 35 years. I may adopt a London team as a 2nd team but it would never be 'my team'. I would suspect many others would feel the same. I just dont see fans abandoning their favourite team in favour of London.

So i would continue to wear Giants gear even if as a 'neutral' i would cheer for a London team on the day (unless they were playing the Giants of course). I think that 32 jersey vibe would live on.

That said i do think a London team would be able to fill the stadium every week with fans, neutral fans cheering for them and fans of the opposition.

So for me I am not really that bothered about a London franchise. As long as we continue to be able to watch the NFL here.
Old 14.12.2016, 04:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygiantsfan247 View Post

And i will always be a Giants fan as i have been for 35 years. I may adopt a London team as a 2nd team but it would never be 'my team'. I would suspect many others would feel the same. I just dont see fans abandoning their favourite team in favour of London.

So i would continue to wear Giants gear even if as a 'neutral' i would cheer for a London team on the day (unless they were playing the Giants of course). I think that 32 jersey vibe would live on.

That said i do think a London team would be able to fill the stadium every week with fans, neutral fans cheering for them and fans of the opposition.

So for me I am not really that bothered about a London franchise. As long as we continue to be able to watch the NFL here.
This is hard being a Cowboys fan but for once I agree with a Giants fan!!!

I follow the Cowboys 100% & cheer against Giants/Eagles/Redskins but I would also get behind a "local" team against the rest.

At the minute I find myself looking for the Jags score because of their commitment to the IS & i'm sure I will do the same if we get a franchise but never above Dem Boys