Shutouts - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.10.2017, 09:20 AM
Diamond_Bomb's Avatar
Diamond_Bomb Diamond_Bomb is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 11.12.2014
Posts: 2,373
Default Shutouts

Is it just me or are we seeing more teams shut out than ever before? Used to be a one time a season rarity but now we have three in one game week. Why do you think this is? Has offence play gotten that bad or is it juat a time of great Defences? I'm inclined to go with the former.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23.10.2017, 10:32 AM
Danny Bear's Avatar
Danny Bear Danny Bear is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 29.12.2010
Posts: 8,523
Default

Too many poor quarterbacks.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23.10.2017, 06:03 PM
BuffaloG's Avatar
BuffaloG BuffaloG is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 12.10.2014
Posts: 4,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
Too many poor quarterbacks.
And yet more proof that expansion of the league would be a really stupid idea.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23.10.2017, 08:53 PM
davidjones178@hotmail.co.uk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
Too many poor quarterbacks.
More to the point, too many injured quarterbacks.

Both the Colts and the Cards got shut out, and both were without (or soon without) their starting QB.

The Giants do have a QB, but they don't have their top 3 WR's. If it hadn't been for a fluky turnover giving them a short field, they could have easily been shut out as well.

Injuries wrecking a lot of teams.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23.10.2017, 08:56 PM
lee harris 10's Avatar
lee harris 10 lee harris 10 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 05.09.2010
Posts: 10,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond_Bomb View Post
Is it just me or are we seeing more teams shut out than ever before? Used to be a one time a season rarity but now we have three in one game week. Why do you think this is? Has offence play gotten that bad or is it juat a time of great Defences? I'm inclined to go with the former.
think there where 3 teams shut-out all last season.

also yesterday 7 teams failed to score an offensive TD,last time that happened was in 2001.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23.10.2017, 09:32 PM
goodkarma84's Avatar
goodkarma84 goodkarma84 is offline
GOAT
 
Join Date: 15.09.2008
Posts: 27,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjones178@hotmail.co.uk View Post
More to the point, too many injured quarterbacks.

Both the Colts and the Cards got shut out, and both were without (or soon without) their starting QB.

The Giants do have a QB, but they don't have their top 3 WR's. If it hadn't been for a fluky turnover giving them a short field, they could have easily been shut out as well.

Injuries wrecking a lot of teams.
not really fluky as it was a classic way to get a fumble.

but with refs like yesterday in every game no game would ever be a shut out
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24.10.2017, 04:48 PM
BuffaloG's Avatar
BuffaloG BuffaloG is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 12.10.2014
Posts: 4,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjones178@hotmail.co.uk View Post
More to the point, too many injured quarterbacks.

Both the Colts and the Cards got shut out, and both were without (or soon without) their starting QB.

The Giants do have a QB, but they don't have their top 3 WR's. If it hadn't been for a fluky turnover giving them a short field, they could have easily been shut out as well.

Injuries wrecking a lot of teams.
Injuries happen, it's part of sport.

And to say the Giants have a QB is debatable. They have a guy with a marshmallow arm.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24.10.2017, 05:00 PM
boknows34's Avatar
boknows34 boknows34 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 03.03.2006
Posts: 15,471
Default

Injuries are another reason why further expansion is a poor idea. Depth for 32 teams are stretched to the limit. I can't imagine what another 4 teams and 200+ players would do to some teams. It would be a terrible product to watch and a genuine threat to the NFL going into decline.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24.10.2017, 05:19 PM
Crash11's Avatar
Crash11 Crash11 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 07.09.2006
Posts: 16,914
Default

With the focus on offensive play and how relatively speaking football is geared more nowadays to scoring, more teams when behind are rejecting the opportunity to take nailed on FG opportunities, particularly when behind.

A few failed 4th downs when playing catch up leads to more desperate attempts later on in the game. Fail to convert those, teams are more inclined to lay an egg on the scoreboard
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24.10.2017, 06:30 PM
goodkarma84's Avatar
goodkarma84 goodkarma84 is offline
GOAT
 
Join Date: 15.09.2008
Posts: 27,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
Injuries happen, it's part of sport.

And to say the Giants have a QB is debatable. They have a guy with a marshmallow arm.
Eli is the one thing thats not a problem for us.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 03:12 AM.