Premier League Thread - Page 2983 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 09.11.2017, 06:05 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
Get over it.
Man City playing squad wages went up by £58m in 1 year to £232m.this is sadly wants wrong with football,a business turning over nearly £500m but spending almost all of it.

atleast the NFL has a sustainable model with the salary cap keeping wages to around half the teams tv income.

these accounts don't even include this summers £200m+ spend and there new wages.no wonder the big teams fight proper FFP.
Old 09.11.2017, 06:28 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Get over it.

Not all teams are run by business men who need the club to balance the books or make a profit, football isn’t a working class sport anymore it’s a global entertainment business and has been for quite a few years now.

Do you really think the Abu Dhabi group need City to make a big profit? Abramovich said when he took over Chelsea ‘I’ve got other business’ to make me money, this is about having fun’

Fans moaned when City made huge losses, now making a profit, however small it may be isn’t good enough either.

Time to embrace the game of football for what it is today or at the very least accept it.

nah, i think continuing to mock those that are a rich mans play thing is the way to go and the way it diminishes any success they have because of it
Old 09.11.2017, 06:44 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
nah, i think continuing to mock those that are a rich mans play thing is the way to go and the way it diminishes any success they have because of it
Whatever keeps that simple little brain of yours amused I guess.

Enjoy.
Old 09.11.2017, 06:55 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Whatever keeps that simple little brain of yours amused I guess.

Enjoy.

overall i pretty sure most fans of the sport would fall on my side of things

but i suppose since you have benefited from it you get to pretend that your success counts the same as everyone elses plus have to defend City and PSG.
Old 09.11.2017, 08:24 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
overall i pretty sure most fans of the sport would fall on my side of things

but i suppose since you have benefited from it you get to pretend that your success counts the same as everyone elses plus have to defend City and PSG.
by the time of there first title reports the owners had pumped in over £1.15bn.city made a profit in 2008 before the owners arrived but then took till 2015 to make another annual profit.

to be fair since 2015 they have made a profit of £31m(over 3 seasons) on income of over £1bn so the owners are starting to see a return on there investments.
Old 09.11.2017, 09:25 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
by the time of there first title reports the owners had pumped in over £1.15bn.city made a profit in 2008 before the owners arrived but then took till 2015 to make another annual profit.

to be fair since 2015 they have made a profit of £31m(over 3 seasons) on income of over £1bn so the owners are starting to see a return on there investments.

ah with all there totally legit sponsorships
Old 09.11.2017, 10:03 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
ah with all there totally legit sponsorships
are we questioning Etihad paying £80m a year for the shirt and naming rights when Etihads owner just happens to be the half brother of the City owner.move along nothing too see hear.

its not like there deal helps massively with there FFP and dwarfs Man Utd shirt deal and double the naming rights fee paid by Emirates to Arsenal.sure City have a greater world wide appeal than any other premier league club.
Old 09.11.2017, 11:04 PM
MVP

Quote:
how in reality are they already closed off?
its not the same teams going up and down every season.

so what happens to CL, just the teams in the super league (given you mention the Europa is staying,) which means that competition will be lacking a tad.

given college football used to be the leader then flourished is an odd useage, also it has its stars playing for free.

a few years ago you could of probably made the same point using Brighton and Huddersfield.
how would it make them matter more? an achievement would be meaningless and no chance to get to the big time.
also given college football is the example overall the same teams tend to be around the top and the weaker ones are happy to get there payday beatings.

so in this system you would be having the likes of Red Star in and they will be winning/ in contention against the super powers or just get to be the Browns forever.

there will always be a gap between the good and the great.

the draft system is even worse, first off removing the rights of players and while it probably would be about the same (depending on the compensation) as now for the sides losing players all choice is gone.
America as this setup the way to go, all the major players/teams are in one country, the college system as history and this is a set way.

also logistically its an impossibility, the FAs, Uefa and clubs all agreeing to this.

a breakaway Super League might happen one day but it would be clubs leaving there leagues and things like the CL behind.
it would probably start off in some mega rich way and once it confirms its place as the main league NFL style, things like a cap might creep in if the owners see it as the money maker it is.

tbh i do think its the mentality of a fan of a bigger side (of course in this instance Spurs would end up out in the cold but maybe at the top of the lame tree,) ones of the smaller ones are happy to fight there way to a place in the Prem.
not every reward needs a shiny cup. it might be a smaller target, things do get ruined by billionaires and some become disillusioned but no one seems sad at the idea of promotion and even in a relegation fight there is a reason to cheer your side to victory.

also a little change is needed, Porto won by being bloody jammy, that was one hell of a run of luck.
Brighton and Huddersfield are still nothing teams. The gap is not between 20 Premier League teams and the rest. The gap is between a handful of teams and the rest. The limit of Brighton and Huddersfield's achievements will likely be to stay up, this year, then if they make it then next year, and so on. Take Stoke and West Brom - 8 and 10 years in the Premier League now. Good for them. But where are they? They're still mainly looking over their shoulders making sure they don't get relegated rather than focusing on even coming 4th, let alone winning the league. Sunderland were the same with their 10 year span.

Five of the modern big six have never been relegated from the Premier League and the other is Man City - 16 years back in the Prem now already and a lot of money invested. You can get promoted to La Liga, but you're not challenging the big 2. Serie A and Juve. Bundesliga and Bayern. You get the picture. But I think it is too late to reverse it now, power is too unequal. Putting the big fish in a bigger pond is the most sensible solution. Some clubs have always been bigger than others, but the financial differences weren't like they are now.

I used to be a football journalist a decade ago for a popular website and I was arguing for this... football was broken in 2007. In 2017 it is even more broken despite the miracle that was Leicester City.

Spurs doesn't even come into it. I wasn't a Spurs fan when I was writing those articles, I've only started following since I moved up here a few years back.
Old 09.11.2017, 11:18 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
Man City playing squad wages went up by £58m in 1 year to £232m.this is sadly wants wrong with football,a business turning over nearly £500m but spending almost all of it.

atleast the NFL has a sustainable model with the salary cap keeping wages to around half the teams tv income.

these accounts don't even include this summers £200m+ spend and there new wages.no wonder the big teams fight proper FFP.
That's the key thing for me with football. NFL makes so much money, yet football, despite being globally more popular, sees clubs making losses for the most part. And not because fans aren't made to pay through the nose for everything either. I guess there are more clubs but I'm not sure that's the reason why.

FFP is a joke.

I just don't like the idea that fortunes of a football team are linked to the fortunes of some unrelated business. The worst recent example was probably that Russian club Anzi Makhachkala. The owner's fortune was tied up in Belarussian potash mining or something like that. Roberto Carlos, Willian and others end up playing for a club from a war zone in the Caucusus. The potash mine goes bust. The club goes into a downward spiral. Bye bye Brazilians, bye bye Portuguese players, bye bye Gus Hiddink, relegated... the rise and fall of a club in Dagestan based on Belarussian potash. How lovely.

It's all so murky with football. Especially English football unfortunately. At least with the NFL it is running itself, it doesn't need money from dodgy means.
Old 09.11.2017, 11:29 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Brighton and Huddersfield are still nothing teams. The gap is not between 20 Premier League teams and the rest. The gap is between a handful of teams and the rest. The limit of Brighton and Huddersfield's achievements will likely be to stay up, this year, then if they make it then next year, and so on. Take Stoke and West Brom - 8 and 10 years in the Premier League now. Good for them. But where are they? They're still mainly looking over their shoulders making sure they don't get relegated rather than focusing on even coming 4th, let alone winning the league. Sunderland were the same with their 10 year span.

Five of the modern big six have never been relegated from the Premier League and the other is Man City - 16 years back in the Prem now already and a lot of money invested. You can get promoted to La Liga, but you're not challenging the big 2. Serie A and Juve. Bundesliga and Bayern. You get the picture. But I think it is too late to reverse it now, power is too unequal. Putting the big fish in a bigger pond is the most sensible solution. Some clubs have always been bigger than others, but the financial differences weren't like they are now.

I used to be a football journalist a decade ago for a popular website and I was arguing for this... football was broken in 2007. In 2017 it is even more broken despite the miracle that was Leicester City.

Spurs doesn't even come into it. I wasn't a Spurs fan when I was writing those articles, I've only started following since I moved up here a few years back.
even after Leicesters success, i still have to point out that just because something is hard its not impossible (as i was saying on this very site, well before they were in a title race.)
good scouting and improving the players you have, can still beat out the top teams.

those teams have made some poor buys and have failed to use the talent they have.

i still think its seems easy to dismiss that sort of achievement, staying in the Prem is very hard. its not got the glory of a title but its something to fight for, instead of removing that goal and the worth of any title in this new league.

it has flaws but all systems do.

so you dropped your previous team?