AFC Championship. Patriots @ Chiefs. - Page 5 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > Gameday Forum

Old 21.01.2019, 07:05 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
everyone knows the OT rules and its not like driving 70+ yards is a given,if the Chiefs stop us on the 1st 3rd down they would only need a 1st down or 2 then they can just play for a FG.

the officials where bad either way,yes the roughing the passer call was wrong but they also called OPI differently on either team and Kelce was allowed to push off for his TD while Berry was allowed to man handle Gronk.

also on the Dorsett TD where was the flag for PI,lot more contact than when Jackson got flagged on Kelce.

knowing the rules doesnt make it right.

both getting a chance to answer makes sense.
it pretty silly

they were inconsistent on the PI/holding calls both ways.

but they made odd calls like overturning the Edelman punt ****, there seemed a lack of clear evidence.
although in this game i wouldnt say they had a major impact.
Old 21.01.2019, 07:34 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
knowing the rules doesnt make it right.

both getting a chance to answer makes sense.
it pretty silly

they were inconsistent on the PI/holding calls both ways.

but they made odd calls like overturning the Edelman punt ****, there seemed a lack of clear evidence.
although in this game i wouldnt say they had a major impact.
I was happy but shocked when they over turned the punt but the call on the field was a total guess as the official couldn't see anything so seems the re-officiated the play,Blandino on twitter was for staying but Gene on CBS was over rule so it was a toss-up.

the OT could have easily followed what happened in the early game if the Chiefs could cover JE11 or Gronk on 3rd downs or get a pass rush,its not like the old days where you just kick a FG to win.

now its a 2 week wait to the superbowl then 7 months till real football begins again.
Old 21.01.2019, 08:19 PM
GOAT

Quote:
I was happy but shocked when they over turned the punt but the call on the field was a total guess as the official couldn't see anything so seems the re-officiated the play,Blandino on twitter was for staying but Gene on CBS was over rule so it was a toss-up.

the OT could have easily followed what happened in the early game if the Chiefs could cover JE11 or Gronk on 3rd downs or get a pass rush,its not like the old days where you just kick a FG to win.

now its a 2 week wait to the superbowl then 7 months till real football begins again.

which would be against the rules, it pretty clear, the ruling on the field is golden unless there is clear evidence to overturn.

in real time it looked like he touched it without a doubt, the replay made it really fuzzy and i have no idea if he did or didnt.

but in the situation you describe both sides would of had the same chance.
Old 21.01.2019, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

I really don’t have a problem with the OT rules. Score a TD and you deserve to win though if they did change it so that both teams must have a possession I wouldn’t disagree either. It’s a big improvement from the days when a FG won the game, now that the standard of kicking is vastly better than 30-40 years ago.

What I don’t want to see is the college OT rules when a 31-31 tie could end up with a farcical 68-65 score.
Old 21.01.2019, 08:52 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
I really don’t have a problem with the OT rules. Score a TD and you deserve to win though if they did change it so that both teams must have a possession I wouldn’t disagree either. It’s a big improvement from the days when a FG won the game, now that the standard of kicking is vastly better than 30-40 years ago.

What I don’t want to see is the college OT rules when a 31-31 tie could end up with a farcical 68-65 score.

tbh i would take college rules over this.

for me it should be just a chance to match but otherwise be a normal contest in terms of starting position.

i think in general rules favour an offense plus on top of that you have teams which are better on one side of the ball. which you can call a flaw they need to fix for a team but it still means the coin toss is having a huge impact.

theres a reason teams want turnovers, possession matters.

it could also make the decision after a coin toss more interesting.
Old 21.01.2019, 09:38 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
which would be against the rules, it pretty clear, the ruling on the field is golden unless there is clear evidence to overturn.

in real time it looked like he touched it without a doubt, the replay made it really fuzzy and i have no idea if he did or didnt.

but in the situation you describe both sides would of had the same chance.
the officials on the field had no idea if the ball was slightly touched or not and probably just reacted to the fans,replay as Gene on CBS have started "piecing" together these plays and if they see enough then they seem prepared to ignore the clear and obvious bit.

we saw last year in the superbowl the "catch" rule change just enough from what was the norm during the season which wasn't done properly through the rules committee but was about getting the calls right.

also as we saw in yesterdays games post season officiating does seem to have a whole different rule set and guess that includes replay.
Old 21.01.2019, 09:45 PM
GOAT

Quote:
the officials on the field had no idea if the ball was slightly touched or not and probably just reacted to the fans,replay as Gene on CBS have started "piecing" together these plays and if they see enough then they seem prepared to ignore the clear and obvious bit.

we saw last year in the superbowl the "catch" rule change just enough from what was the norm during the season which wasn't done properly through the rules committee but was about getting the calls right.

also as we saw in yesterdays games post season officiating does seem to have a whole different rule set and guess that includes replay.

they ruled that it was, if no one thought it then they would of ruled that.

to change it without knowing is beyond a questionable call.

i agree they made things up in the SB last year.

those plays are called live.
Old 21.01.2019, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

The Overtime rule’s fine. If the Chiefs had won the toss and scored a TD, nobody would be saying a word. Their Defense was hot garbage all season, and it came back to bite them on the ass in the end. If you can’t even hold the other team to a FG, especially when you have them facing numerous third and longs, you get no sympathy from me...
Old 21.01.2019, 10:11 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
The Overtime rule’s fine. If the Chiefs had won the toss and scored a TD, nobody would be saying a word. Their Defense was hot garbage all season, and it came back to bite them on the ass in the end. If you can’t even hold the other team to a FG, especially when you have them facing numerous third and longs, you get no sympathy from me...

well i said it before the Pats won
and i have stated it in the past too.

whatever way you look at it was coin toss had a massive impact.
Old 22.01.2019, 09:11 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post

The college overtime rules are better in my opinion. Or at least the spirit of them is better; they just need some tweaking. The reason you get those crazy quadruple overtime scores in college is that you start with the ball on your opponent's 25-yard line. Just don't give the offense the ball that far up the field, I say. Start at midfield, or your own 40 yard line, and have each team match the other possession-for-possession or it is over. You could even make it mandatory to go for 2 points after a TD for added tension. If you give defenses half a field or more, you are not going to get 8 touchdown series in a row in the NFL even if defenses are tired.

But this concept of going to OT and one team not even seeing the ball has to go.