Politics - Page 1624 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Entertainment/News

Old 01.04.2019, 09:04 AM
All Pro

As momentum for a 2nd referendum continues to grow:

“In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the **** campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.”

I blanked out which side of the debate actually said that for dramatic purposes.

It was Nigel Farage.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...rendum-7985017
Old 01.04.2019, 09:15 PM
GOAT

still a mess as they refuse to move.

combine Clarke and the second vote and that should win, despite what some say.
Old 01.04.2019, 09:25 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
still a mess as they refuse to move.
Well something has to give soon as a week Friday we leave on WTO terms.
Old 01.04.2019, 09:29 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartmoor Falcon View Post
Well something has to give soon as a week Friday we leave on WTO terms.

the lack of willingness from the Tories to compromise and the house to make a real call is leading us off that cliff.

there needs to be people willing to offer give and take to get something through, ideally with a second vote.

common sense might prevail and delay things again.
Old 01.04.2019, 09:32 PM
All Pro

Quote:
the lack of willingness from the Tories to compromise and the house to make a real call is leading us off that cliff.

there needs to be people willing to offer give and take to get something through, ideally with a second vote.

common sense might prevail and delay things again.
Only way we get a delay now is to take part in the EU elections and that will cause all sorts of problems on all sides.
Old 01.04.2019, 09:45 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartmoor Falcon View Post
Only way we get a delay now is to take part in the EU elections and that will cause all sorts of problems on all sides.

as the leader of one of the only decent parties stated, to avoid the democratic choice due to fear of another democratic choice would be silly.

lets not pretend people really cared about them before either, holding them is being blown up as some massive thing but its not.
it will have a low turn out but even those voted in now skip many parts of there job.

some simple talks and just being reasonable might work things out, just too many games.

about 170 or so want a no deal, everyone else can be had for the right plan, the Scots come on board to the customs option if it led to a second vote.
Old 02.04.2019, 08:48 AM
All Pro

As some soccer bloke said once I think, "it's squeaky bum time". Well' if it's not, it's getting awfully close.

Richard Tice on the radio again this morning claiming all sorts of ill thought out and blatantly stupid things are possible. That's the same Richard Tice who runs a dirty great big property company and made all his money buying and selling property in London and South East England at a time when prices were going into meltdown because of all the dirty money flowing into the capital. I'm sure I read somewhere that Russian oligarchs account for a ridiculously disproportionate amount of property deals in that area and they aren't European obv.

"90% of UK companies don't sell to Europe". No Mr Tice, they don't.

https://fullfact.org/europe/how-many...ses-export-eu/

That 8 - 11% that do though account for £3 - 400 billion of trade depending on whose numbers you want to use.

https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-eu-trade/

Mr Tice doesn't own any car companies and isn't a farmer. He doesn't rely on the rest of the people in the UK being either solvent enough or confident enough to carry on doing business. I run a company which works entirely in the UK. I buy a sandwich every lunchtime off a mobile van. They probably don't sell to Europe either. I employ a few people who also buy sandwiches. If we have a bad month we buy less sandwiches. Business right now is very tough. No one knows what the F is happening. Take that tiny example and apply it to the UK as a whole? Boom.....

Mr Tice's company is a £500 million business. That's ginormous compared to me and I'm sure ginormous for Mr Tice's pay packet but it's 0.00125% of that 400 billion.

Another very wealthy UK businessman arguing for a no deal because, whilst the rest of the newly deregulated country will sail down turd river without paddles before plunging over the waterfall, he'll be perfectly fine thank you?

You decide.

Last edited by LesterHayes; 02.04.2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02.04.2019, 11:42 AM
MVP

What now? The EU says it is open to an extension as long as there is a clear plan from our side as to what we want - good luck with that. So it will either be a long delay to enable us to go through a general election/second referendum, or 'crashing out' with No Deal. And Theresa trying to push her withdrawal agreement through Parliament for a fourth time of course...
Old 02.04.2019, 05:14 PM
GOAT

May pretending to compromise but its all about her WA.

they shouldnt pass it without a referendum attached.
Old 02.04.2019, 10:44 PM
MVP

Quote:
May pretending to compromise but its all about her WA.

they shouldnt pass it without a referendum attached.
May's speech today is a trap - she wants the country trapped with an extension to 22 May that means there can be no further extension beyond that. Which means her deal or no deal. She's using Corbyn as a smokescreen. She knows Labour is the only chance of getting her deal through, the ERG hardcore and DUP won't be won over. She has no intention of a soft Brexit, referendum, holding EU elections or anything else. She might threaten a GE but I think the effect is about scaring Remain MPs in Leave constituencies (or vice versa) into backing her deal to avoid the GE, and thus ensuring they don't risk losing their seats. This all comes back to railroading her unpopular deal through and not listening to anyone. A leopard doesn't change its spots.