Hall of Fame

The Washington Redskins 2019 Draft:

(Players I'd targeted before the Draft)

TRADE: 15 = 18 + 190.
TRADE: 18 = 24 + 125.
1.24: Justin Layne, CB. Michigan State.
TRADE: 46 + 125 + 190 = 31 + 251.
1.31: Nasir Adderley, S. Delaware.

Adderley was my round 1 target pre-draft, but I didn't feel 100% comfortable with him as a 1st round pick. I wasn't comfortable with him at 15, or 18, hence the trades, but I was happy to pick up 24 + 125 + 190 as a result. Even at 24 I wasn't completely sold, and that led me to looking at CB's. The Layne pick was a product of hunting for a corner that didn't have the perceived weaknesses of Greedy Williams, Byron Murphy and Dre Baker. The problem with that approach is I might have taken someone who doesn't excel in the areas that trio does either.

The trade back up from 46 to 31 cost me the picks i'd acquired in moving down from 15 to 24. My indecisiveness on Adderley basically undid the good work i'd done acquiring picks in the first place. I'd spend the rest of the Draft chasing the picks that i'd given up. Originally picking at 15 and 46 I think I exited round 1 with 2 top 50 players, i just did a lot of dancing around to get them.

3.76: D'Andre Walker, EDGE. Georgia.
3.96: Emanuel Hall, WR. Missouri.

I had Walker tagged for my 2nd round pick, 46, pre-draft. I would've taken him higher than that too if i'd traded out of rd 1 and other options were off the board. Getting him at 76 was a no brainer, although it was tough to pass on Miles Boykin. I think Walker is a 2nd round talent though. I'm not 100% convinced by Emanuel Hall, but some analysts see him as a 2nd round talent. 96 boiled down to Hall or Connor McGovern, and i decided to trust the analysts and bet on the athletic upside.

TRADE: 153 + 173 = 120 + 247.
4.120: Drew Sample, TE. Washington.

Pick 125 from my 1st round trade down would've been ideal here. Instead i had to give up a 'valuable' 5th round pick to go up and get Sample, who i saw as an ideal 4th round TE pre-draft. Josh Oliver did enter my thoughts late on but i decided to stick with Sample's 'low floor' rather than Oliver's 'high ceiling'.

TRADE: 206 + 227 = 191.
6.191: Ryan Finley, QB. N.C State.

Pick 190 from my 1st round trade down would've been ideal here. Sound familiar? I didn't want to risk waiting until 206 for a 'name' like Finley to fall to me, so i bit the bullet and moved up. Finley was my 'Day 3 QB'. My approach at QB for the Redskins was to get someone i felt comfortable giving a chance to, but would be willing to replace in upcoming Drafts. Finley could be a starter in the right system, or a back up in any system.

7.247: Tyler Jones, OT. N.C State.
7.251: Drew Forbes, OT. SE Missouri State.
7.253: Brett Rypien, QB. Boise State.

I've had success with late round OL in the past, so this was the plan all along. The Redskins need help at LG, but ideally didn't want to use a high pick to fill it. I initially had Forbes pencilled in at 247, but i'd seen Jones projected as a 4th round pick in some places, so just like the Hall pick I've put my trust in others. The same is true of Rypien. He was on my radar all along because of the obvious Redskin link, but some analysts are higher on him than me. With the 253rd pick in the Draft i have no issues with doubling up at QB.

Ultimately it's an ok Draft. I walked away with 5 guys that i 'targeted', and picked up some 'higher upside' projects along the way too. I'm ok with trading away from TJ Hockenson (15) and Dwayne Haskins (18), but i'll certainly have half an eye on their careers from here on out. In hindsight i could've drafted Adderley, AJ Brown (or Miles Boykin), Walker, Sean Bunting, AND someone in the 5th or 6th round, but you live and you learn. I get 'fired' from this GM gig every year anyway!
Old 20.04.2019, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
The Washington Redskins 2019 Draft:

(Players I'd targeted before the Draft)

TRADE: 15 = 18 + 190.
TRADE: 18 = 24 + 125.
1.24: Justin Layne, CB. Michigan State.
TRADE: 46 + 125 + 190 = 31 + 251.
1.31: Nasir Adderley, S. Delaware.

Adderley was my round 1 target pre-draft, but I didn't feel 100% comfortable with him as a 1st round pick. I wasn't comfortable with him at 15, or 18, hence the trades, but I was happy to pick up 24 + 125 + 190 as a result. Even at 24 I wasn't completely sold, and that led me to looking at CB's. The Layne pick was a product of hunting for a corner that didn't have the perceived weaknesses of Greedy Williams, Byron Murphy and Dre Baker. The problem with that approach is I might have taken someone who doesn't excel in the areas that trio does either.

The trade back up from 46 to 31 cost me the picks i'd acquired in moving down from 15 to 24. My indecisiveness on Adderley basically undid the good work i'd done acquiring picks in the first place. I'd spend the rest of the Draft chasing the picks that i'd given up. Originally picking at 15 and 46 I think I exited round 1 with 2 top 50 players, i just did a lot of dancing around to get them.

3.76: D'Andre Walker, EDGE. Georgia.
3.96: Emanuel Hall, WR. Missouri.

I had Walker tagged for my 2nd round pick, 46, pre-draft. I would've taken him higher than that too if i'd traded out of rd 1 and other options were off the board. Getting him at 76 was a no brainer, although it was tough to pass on Miles Boykin. I think Walker is a 2nd round talent though. I'm not 100% convinced by Emanuel Hall, but some analysts see him as a 2nd round talent. 96 boiled down to Hall or Connor McGovern, and i decided to trust the analysts and bet on the athletic upside.

TRADE: 153 + 173 = 120 + 247.
4.120: Drew Sample, TE. Washington.

Pick 125 from my 1st round trade down would've been ideal here. Instead i had to give up a 'valuable' 5th round pick to go up and get Sample, who i saw as an ideal 4th round TE pre-draft. Josh Oliver did enter my thoughts late on but i decided to stick with Sample's 'low floor' rather than Oliver's 'high ceiling'.

TRADE: 206 + 227 = 191.
6.191: Ryan Finley, QB. N.C State.

Pick 190 from my 1st round trade down would've been ideal here. Sound familiar? I didn't want to risk waiting until 206 for a 'name' like Finley to fall to me, so i bit the bullet and moved up. Finley was my 'Day 3 QB'. My approach at QB for the Redskins was to get someone i felt comfortable giving a chance to, but would be willing to replace in upcoming Drafts. Finley could be a starter in the right system, or a back up in any system.

7.247: Tyler Jones, OT. N.C State.
7.251: Drew Forbes, OT. SE Missouri State.
7.253: Brett Rypien, QB. Boise State.

I've had success with late round OL in the past, so this was the plan all along. The Redskins need help at LG, but ideally didn't want to use a high pick to fill it. I initially had Forbes pencilled in at 247, but i'd seen Jones projected as a 4th round pick in some places, so just like the Hall pick I've put my trust in others. The same is true of Rypien. He was on my radar all along because of the obvious Redskin link, but some analysts are higher on him than me. With the 253rd pick in the Draft i have no issues with doubling up at QB.

Ultimately it's an ok Draft. I walked away with 5 guys that i 'targeted', and picked up some 'higher upside' projects along the way too. I'm ok with trading away from TJ Hockenson (15) and Dwayne Haskins (18), but i'll certainly have half an eye on their careers from here on out. In hindsight i could've drafted Adderley, AJ Brown (or Miles Boykin), Walker, Sean Bunting, AND someone in the 5th or 6th round, but you live and you learn. I get 'fired' from this GM gig every year anyway!
Well, you’ve either had a really good Draft or you’ve sabotaged a Divisional rival, so it’s a win-win!
Old 20.04.2019, 05:54 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Well, you’ve either had a really good Draft or you’ve sabotaged a Divisional rival, so it’s a win-win!
*damn it, they're on to me*

Old 22.04.2019, 09:51 AM
All Pro

Just a reminder folks, UDFA day 1 deadline 7pm tonight.
(Should have day 2 open by 9pm - day 1 always the longest to sort through)

Have had a decent amount of entries so far so plenty of work to do after 7pm (out for the weekend so not getting any of the work done early)

Good luck to all with their picks (and as always , make sure your player hasn't been selected already, don't want to waste that hard earned credit!)

Cheers, Mick
Old 22.04.2019, 02:18 PM
GOAT

just sent mine via pm, hopefully this site didnt lose them
Old 22.04.2019, 07:45 PM
All Pro

UDFA Day 1 picks posted at end of picks thread
(Wayne, if you could paste onto the placeholder post near the start of that thread when you get a chance!)

UDFA Day 2 clock now started, please send them to me before 7pm tomorrow (and earlier if you can!)

Apologies it took so long to get updated, there was a lot of work on day one, it is time consuming and there were a couple of late entries and a few players picked that were taken already. As always, if anyone sees any issues/mistakes, please give me a shout.

Good luck with your picks

Cheers, Mick
Old 22.04.2019, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maguiremick View Post
UDFA Day 1 picks posted at end of picks thread
(Wayne, if you could paste onto the placeholder post near the start of that thread when you get a chance!)

UDFA Day 2 clock now started, please send them to me before 7pm tomorrow (and earlier if you can!)

Apologies it took so long to get updated, there was a lot of work on day one, it is time consuming and there were a couple of late entries and a few players picked that were taken already. As always, if anyone sees any issues/mistakes, please give me a shout.

Good luck with your picks

Cheers, Mick
Thanks Mick! You can go and have a lie down now...
Old 22.04.2019, 07:56 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Thanks Mick! You can go and have a lie down now...
No he can't
I think Dogne (Atlanta) and Dogbe (Colts) are the same person. There's always one with the similar name issue.

Good work Mick
Old 22.04.2019, 08:00 PM
Starter

Happy to get Minshew. On reflection I shouldn't have changed my mind in the 7th and just taken him then, but I got him in the end anyway

Think he'll understand how to hold a clipboard well, learning from Stanton and might be a useful QB2 in a year or two.
Old 22.04.2019, 08:04 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtianuk II View Post
No he can't
I think Dogne (Atlanta) and Dogbe (Colts) are the same person. There's always one with the similar name issue.

Good work Mick
Great spot mate

Well, justice that the Colts take him (as they bid 10) given they were the ones that spelt it correctly
Will update Falcons score (Wayne, pls do honours on the first page aslo , thank you sir)