2015 Draft. - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 22.01.2015, 07:14 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_STL31 View Post
I think he would be a great addition, but im not sure what his contract status is like ..do you have any info regarding that please, as for Murray if he does go, i think its a massive loss, from what i seen last season of the cowboys
2015 - $12,750,000 ($2,400,000 guaranteed)
2016 - $14,750,000
2017 - $16,750,000

So the Vikes can cut him with little to no cap hit.

*I think Peterson would like to play in Dallas if he left Minnesota, but he won't play for 'free'. I just don't see it happening, unless Jerry adopts a Superbowl or bust/win at all costs approach. We've just started to get the Salary Cap situation under control, I don't see them ruining that for a RB.

Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia, is touted as having a similar sort of potential. Tore his ACL in November though, so it would be touch and go to see if he'd be able to contribute at the start of the season. Him, and Melvin Gordon (Wisc) are potential targets in rd 1, although one, or even both, might be gone by #27.

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 22.01.2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 22.01.2015, 07:14 PM
Starter

In an ideal world, having Murray an Randle next season would be the best option. That's just my thought.i say stick with what's worked well last season
Old 22.01.2015, 07:18 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
2015 - $12,750,000 ($2,400,000 guaranteed)
2016 - $14,750,000
2017 - $16,750,000

So the Vikes can cut him with little to no cap hit.

*I think Peterson would like to play in Dallas if he left Minnesota, but he won't play for 'free'. I just don't see it happening, unless Jerry adopts a Superbowl or bust/win at all costs approach. We've just started to get the Salary Cap situation under control, I don't see them ruining that for a RB.

Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia, is touted as having a similar sort of potential. Tore his ACL in November though, so it would be touch and go to see if he'd be able to contribute at the start of the season. Him, and Melvin Gordon (Wisc) are potential targets in rd 1, although one, or even both, might be gone by #27.
As good as Peterson is,there's going to be even more pressure on him now.can he be the player he was a few years ago.i don't think so.again just my opinion.
Old 24.01.2015, 08:38 PM
Hall of Fame

A few thoughts to be going on with....................

Drafting a Cornerback?

I know the usual train of thought is improving the pass rush improves the secondary, but how comfortable are people with our current corners? Scandrick is starting at one spot, and Carr the other, with Sterling Moore in on the nickel. Carr won't be around after next year though imo due to his contract, and with Mo Claibourne having to overcome a bad injury as well as prove he was worth drafting, in 2016 we might be left with Scandrick, Moore and Patmon. Perhaps drafting a top notch corner is the way to go at #27, that way in 2016 he'll have a year under his belt? Lawrence, Mincey and Crawford look like a decent pass rush trio, and I know you can never have enough of them, but perhaps we can get by with them and the returning Ben Gardner?

The 1 Technique?

We're all told how much the Cowboys don't value this position, but with Tyrone Crawford pencilled in at the 3 technique, any interior help is going to be coming from the other DT spot. Hayden was solid in 2014, but this draft seems to offer several prospects who could upgrade the line between Lawrence and Crawford. I'll be honest, I'm all for finding another disruptive inside rusher. Picking at the end of the 1st round we might be just outside the sweet spot for the available talent, but if we're lucky enough we could grab a guy to help us against both the pass and the run.

Offence?

Still a lot of question marks due to contract situations, but if Dez, Murray and Free return, at what stage to you draft a prospect on this side of the ball? Barring a superstar prospect falling down the board on draft day, I'd imagine the 1st round pick will be defence. After that though? Can we afford to add a 2nd round pick to our O line? Would a 2nd round WR see the field enough? Do we put off drafting a QB for another year?
Old 28.01.2015, 02:52 PM
Hall of Fame

Slowly starting to get a better grasp of some of the players in this years draft. One guy I'm warming to for the Cowboys in April is Preston Smith, DE, Mississippi State.

6'5, 270. Appears to have a good level of functional strength, especially when you consider his long arms. He fits that LDE spot pretty well imo. He doesn't jump off the film with his speed, but he impacts the game regardless, especially when he slides inside against guards and centers. He finds ways to get to the QB/RB. Against some of the top tier college OT's (La'el Collins, LSU) he didn't have as much of an impact, but still flashed potential on occasion. As stated, he's versatile, he lined up all along the line for the Bulldogs and found ways to win. That versatility means he could rotate with Tyrone Crawford at the 3 technique, as well as help the pass rush from the LDE spot. He doesn't look to be carrying any 'bad' weight, but I wonder if he dropped 10 lbs would he gain some extra explosion and speed to take his game to the next level.

Not sure he is a 1st round guy, unless the board gets wiped out, but I don't think he'd be out of place in the 2nd round. One to keep an eye on at the combine anyway.
Old 29.01.2015, 06:59 PM
Team Captain

Thanks for the heads up. Will see if there is stuff on you tube about him. Where else would be the best place to check up on draft prospects? Would like to get some knowledge on players coming out.

*just watched some film. Big strong and agile. Like you mentioned slight concern about speed once he breaks through on the QB

Last edited by PMurphy81; 29.01.2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 29.01.2015, 07:46 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMurphy81 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Will see if there is stuff on you tube about him. Where else would be the best place to check up on draft prospects? Would like to get some knowledge on players coming out.
Having revisited him, I'm not as convinced about him as I was. That's not to say I don't like him, I just think he might be somewhere between our 2nd and 3rd picks value wise, rather than between our 1st and 2nd. I'm thinking a 3/4 team will like him a bit more than a 4/3 team, but you never know. He might just not be quick enough to fit our scheme as an out and out DE.

Draft prospects?

NFL Draft Tracker

NFL College Football 24/7
CBS
Draft Breakdown
WalterFootball

That's just a few. The NFL.com stuff is good for reports and opinion, as well as measurements etc. CBS (Dane Brugler is really committed to what he does) is good for scouting reports and opinion too. Draftbreakdown.com is a god send for anyone who likes to do their own 'scouting'. Basically condenses games from snap to snap, so you can watch a player on every snap he played in a game in under 10 minutes. Walterfootball I tagged on as it offers info and mock drafts, so you become familiar with names, colleges etc. They do reports too.

There are loads of sites out there, and the more you get into it, the more you'll find. You just have to find the ones that offer what you want, but for video clips draftbreakdown is far and away the best I've found.
Old 29.01.2015, 08:58 PM
Team Captain

Nice one. Plenty to get into before the draft. Just been messing around on youtube, the names I picked up who were rated and watched a couple of bits on
Leonard williams -usc
Eddie Goldman-Florida state
Shaq Thompson-washington.

They are probably going to go high judging by some of the reviews.
Old 29.01.2015, 09:37 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMurphy81 View Post
Nice one. Plenty to get into before the draft. Just been messing around on youtube, the names I picked up who were rated and watched a couple of bits on
Leonard williams -usc
Eddie Goldman-Florida state
Shaq Thompson-washington.

They are probably going to go high judging by some of the reviews.
Leonard Williams won't make it past #3.

Eddie Goldman and Shaq Thompson have a slim chance of being there, but are more likely to be gone.

The combine will shake things up a little. Some guys will be 'work out warriors' and move up the draft boards, some guys will measure shorter or run slower than expected and fall.

Look at the 'Prospect Rankings' on CBS as a rough guideline to where guys are. It's still worth looking at some of the top 20 guys, but more than likely you are looking at 20 - 50 as targets for the Cowboys in rd 1.
Old 07.02.2015, 10:07 PM
Hall of Fame

Another guy for Cowboys fans to check out - Paul Dawson, LB, TCU.

Depending on how our FA's pan out we might be in need of some LB help. Last year we heard over and over how Ryan Shazier was a guy they liked, and if he'd made it past the Steelers he'd have been our pick instead of Zach Martin.

Dawson isn't at the same level in terms of Shazier's speed (4.4), but he's still athletic, and he racks up plays/tackles like they are going out of fashion. 6'2, 230lbs, instinctive and athletic, he seems to be a good fit for the WLB in our 4-3.

The prevailing thought is that's where Sean Lee will end up when he's fully recovered from his knee injury, but if Dawson was on board then Lee could remain at the MLB spot, with Dawson at the WILL.

I'm not sure where that leaves Hitchens as they seem to think MLB is his best position too. Anyhow, a name to keep an eye on in the coming weeks, especially at the combine.