Do you want an NFL franchise in England? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Old 17.07.2015, 11:30 AM
Pro

Default Do you want an NFL franchise in England?

I'm interested to know how people feel about a UK based franchise, likely to be in London. Majority of what Iv read or heard suggests UK football fans will jump onboard a UK team and fill the stands every week. I personally am sceptical. I am a packers fan, have been since 94/95, and will be until I'm gone. I have no interest in a London based team and would not, as some suggest, change teams due to geography.

What do you think?

I'm interested to hear from as many people as possible to see other fans opinions.

I appreciate your time.
Old 17.07.2015, 12:48 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbay486 View Post
I am a packers fan, have been since 94/95, and will be until I'm gone. I have no interest in a London based team and would not, as some suggest, change teams due to geography.
You're free to do exactly that, and I'm sure you wouldn't be the only one.

However, many people will fall into different camps.

Some (like me) will of course still support and follow our current NFL team (in my case of 30 years now), but quite happily go to the "London Franchise" games (health and wealth permitting of course), and support it in most of it's games. This will be especially true of the large number who live in relatively easy/cheap travelling distance. I'm not going to pass up the opportunity to watch live football on my doorstep, in the same way many "out of town" NFL fans in the US happily go and watch games in areas or cities where they actually live.

Some (though they won't necessarily lose their affinity to their current team) will (once it's here) eventually get on board with the "London Franchise" as their main focus.

People who don't really "bleed whatever the feature colour of their team is" will probably welcome a team they can finally "touch and feel" and get on board with properly - or at least watch regularly on TV.

People who have a more casual awareness of the sport at present because supporting a team in a league on the other side of the world simply dosen't feel natural to them, willl be more inclined to take an interest and check it out - or at least watch some games on TV..

Once it's here (IF it ever happens), and people can start to "touch and feel" it, engage in the gameday tribalism and banter with other fans etc. etc,, It will become more natural to go along or watch on TV (whether as an active "fan" or not).

The "London Franchise" will attract fans / bums on seats / TV viewers in very much the same way as any relocating or expansion franchise in the US does.

Since the kick-off time of most (or all) London home games is likely to be in an "early morning" slot US time, fans of other teams will still be able to catch their own team's TV/Gamepass coverage even if they attend the London game (or watch it on TV/GP).

The viability of any "London Franchise" won't be allowed to depend on "converting" die-hard fans of existing teams (or on people travelling long distances to the games like some currently do for the IS). The NFL will build these factors into their numbers.
Old 17.07.2015, 01:07 PM
All Pro

Good post BigTone.

Just curious, but does the OP have a 'physical' attachment to Wisconsin? Family, work etc.?
Old 17.07.2015, 01:12 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailywaffle View Post
Good post BigTone.

Just curious, but does the OP have a 'physical' attachment to Wisconsin? Family, work etc.?
I don't have any of those with Illinois....just the 20+ years of emotional attachment to the team that plays there.....
Old 17.07.2015, 01:19 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTone View Post
You're free to do exactly that, and I'm sure you wouldn't be the only one.

However, many people will fall into different camps.

Some (like me) will of course still support and follow our current NFL team (in my case of 30 years now), but quite happily go to the "London Franchise" games (health and wealth permitting of course), and support it in most of it's games. This will be especially true of the large number who live in relatively easy/cheap travelling distance. I'm not going to pass up the opportunity to watch live football on my doorstep, in the same way many "out of town" NFL fans in the US happily go and watch games in areas or cities where they actually live.

Some (though they won't necessarily lose their affinity to their current team) will (once it's here) eventually get on board with the "London Franchise" as their main focus.

People who don't really "bleed whatever the feature colour of their team is" will probably welcome a team they can finally "touch and feel" and get on board with properly - or at least watch regularly on TV.

People who have a more casual awareness of the sport at present because supporting a team in a league on the other side of the world simply dosen't feel natural to them, willl be more inclined to take an interest and check it out - or at least watch some games on TV..

Once it's here (IF it ever happens), and people can start to "touch and feel" it, engage in the gameday tribalism and banter with other fans etc. etc,, It will become more natural to go along or watch on TV (whether as an active "fan" or not).

The "London Franchise" will attract fans / bums on seats / TV viewers in very much the same way as any relocating or expansion franchise in the US does.

Since the kick-off time of most (or all) London home games is likely to be in an "early morning" slot US time, fans of other teams will still be able to catch their own team's TV/Gamepass coverage even if they attend the London game (or watch it on TV/GP).

The viability of any "London Franchise" won't be allowed to depend on "converting" die-hard fans of existing teams (or on people travelling long distances to the games like some currently do for the IS). The NFL will build these factors into their numbers.
a very good post and i agree with most of it.

i put myself firmly in the staying Big Blue but i will take an interest in the London side and probably support them as a secondary side but of course when they meet the Giants its going to be a no contest
Old 17.07.2015, 01:21 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
I don't have any of those with Illinois....just the 20+ years of emotional attachment to the team that plays there.....
Again, just curious, but are you a Bears fan "until you die" with zero interest in a more local team (even as a 'second' team)?
Old 17.07.2015, 01:28 PM
MVP

Quote:
Again, just curious, but are you a Bears fan "until you die" with zero interest in a more local team (even as a 'second' team)?
I don't want a UK Franchise. I'd rather 3 IS games a year, every year. I'd be a massive hypocrite to start supporting a team located here after having that point of view wouldnt I?

I'll pay an interest in them just to see if the 'project' works. Cheer them on?....sure, when they play Green Bay.
Old 17.07.2015, 01:34 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
I don't want a UK Franchise. I'd rather 3 IS games a year, every year. I'd be a massive hypocrite to start supporting a team located here after having that point of view wouldnt I?
No, I don't think you would be a hypocrite. A gradual transition from a more remote team to a more local one would be perfectly reasonable. A bit like a girl/boyfriend/partner!
Old 17.07.2015, 02:23 PM
MVP

Quote:
No, I don't think you would be a hypocrite. A gradual transition from a more remote team to a more local one would be perfectly reasonable. A bit like a girl/boyfriend/partner!
Some of us are quite clearly more fickle than others.
Old 17.07.2015, 02:33 PM
All Pro

Essentially this debate boils down to length of fandom/when you got interested in the NFL. (similar to preferring the classic or futuristic uniform designs)

Old skool British NFL fans (pre 2000) 95% DON'T want/ don't care for a UK franchise
Millennials (2000-2006 [lot's of Pats fans!]) 80% DON'T want/ don't care for a UK fanchise
Nu Wave (2007-current) 80% DO want a UK franchise

Last edited by jonno; 17.07.2015 at 02:40 PM.