So...........Quarterback. *sigh* - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 21.09.2015, 10:05 AM
Hall of Fame

Default So...........Quarterback. *sigh*

Tony Romo breaks his collarbone and what looked to be a season of promise, despite the recent loss of Dez Bryant to injury, is suddenly off the rails.

Romo and the passing game appeared primed for a big year. Bryant tied down to his monster new contract and with a point to prove; Terrance Williams ready to take the next step, Cole Beasley couldn't be covered in Training Camp, Devin Street with a year under his belt, and a deep TE group led by the venerable Jason Witten. Not to mention one of the best offensive lines in the NFL and several pass catching RB's in the backfield.

Well, forget all that now as the Cowboys have no one to steer that majestic ship, at least for a large part of the season. Brandon Weeden has shown he isn't the answer. Jameil Showers and Kellen Moore are on the Practice Squad, but it's hard to imagine either of those being an 'upgrade' on Weeden. Tony Romo was an undrafted Free Agent at the start of his career, but I think that's bordering on desperation to believe that fairy tale could happen again.

With Romo gone the Cowboys could struggle to reach .500, especially with a tough schedule, and some stern tests to finish the year.

So what happens now? Jerry Jones won't throw the towel in, and perhaps something can be salvaged with a little wheeling, dealing and shuffling of the pack. The silver lining in all this? If the season does in fact nose dive into obscurity, the Cowboys will be picking in the top half of the draft, with the chance to find their QB of the future, and a viable back up to Romo should this ever happen again. The team is young, and the defence may have turned a corner.

One day we'll look back on this moment and think fate smiled on the Cowboys in a strange sort of way.................or perhaps we'll wonder what could have been. Only time will tell.

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 21.09.2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 21.09.2015, 10:46 AM
Team Captain

I am truly gutted. At 2-0 I just know that 8-8 without Romo and Bryant would be an immense achievement! If I was Jerry I would be doing all I can to pick up a new QB who has the ability to learn the playbook fast! Could RGIII do a job? Always been a Manziel fan but the Browns won't be letting him go anywhere soon. Any ideas?
Old 21.09.2015, 11:42 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Star QB View Post
I am truly gutted. At 2-0 I just know that 8-8 without Romo and Bryant would be an immense achievement! If I was Jerry I would be doing all I can to pick up a new QB who has the ability to learn the playbook fast! Could RGIII do a job? Always been a Manziel fan but the Browns won't be letting him go anywhere soon. Any ideas?
Ideas? Teams need to have multiple options to give up a QB. No point looking at teams with only 2 QB's of any note.

Veteran:

Mike Glennon - Tampa Bay: Based on what i said above, Tampa only have Winston, Ryan Griffin and Glennon at QB so it might be a non starter.

Chase Daniel - Kansas City: He's very well paid to be a back up, and they have Aaron Murray too (see below). Again though, would they be happy to turn the offense over to Murray if Smith was hurt?

Shaun Hill - Minnesota: They have Bridgewater as a starter, but the only other QB they have is rookie Taylor Heinicke. Taylor Heinicke had a decent pre season, but the same question arises regarding him being a back up rookie.

Matt Moore - Miami: maybe a non starter as the Dolphins only have 2 QB's on the roster. Tannehill and Moore.

One for the future:

Zach Mettenberger - Tennessee: This is the best scenario. A rookie starter (Mariota), and a veteran back up (Charlie Whitehurst). That means ZM could be available.

Aaron Murray - Kansas City: Links back to the Chase Daniel thoughts. He hasn't got a strong arm, but perhaps he could handle a dink and dunk offence, and he might be a good back up for the future. Not sure he'd been an upgrade on Weeden in the short term though, he did come out of a Pro style offense in Georgia though.

Sean Mannion - St Louis: A strong armed, immobile rookie. The Rams have Case Keenum too. Probably not an option to consider, but the Rams have 3 QB's and Foles is the starter.

Basically I think a look over the NFL QB's shows you will be hard pressed to find an 'upgrade' on Weeden. Mettenberger looks to be the only option that might be available, and I'd bet the Titans would be looking for a 2nd round pick, or a conditional 3rd and 4th. If they moved for Mettenberger he would have to be the future of the franchise at QB.
Old 21.09.2015, 01:07 PM
Team Captain

Mettenberger from the Titans would be my choice. Not sure what it would take though.

RG111 would cause to many waves coming in to an already massive media circus not to mention his salary. Same with Manziel with the media circus plus don't think Browns would off load yet.
Old 21.09.2015, 04:59 PM
Hall of Fame

Reading around about the fractured clavicle there is a little bit of hope out there.

If it's a clean break, which people think the extra scans suggest it isn't, he could be back in 6 weeks. There is even evidence to suggest NFL players have been 'healed up' from a clean break in 4 or 5 weeks.

If it is in fact a 'fragmented' clavicle fracture, then 10-12 weeks is the par for the course, although 8 weeks isn't out of the question.

It's the same clavicle he fractured in 2010, and by all accounts that suggests it should heal stronger and faster 2nd time around.

So all that considered you have to hope he's in contention for the trip to the Dolphins in week 11, and definitely back for the Panthers at home in week 12.

Hopefully things go better than expected with Weeden at QB, but if things fall apart quickly it's going to be tempting to rush Romo back asap.

Falcons, @Saints, Patriots, BYE, @Giants, Seahawks, Eagles, @Tampa Bay. We could be 2-6 by the time the Tampa game rolls round 8 weeks away.
Old 21.09.2015, 05:18 PM
Team Captain

There's examples of teams bouncing back from adversity and having a successful campaign. Maybe this is the Cowboys time.
Old 21.09.2015, 06:07 PM
MVP

Austin Davis could do you a job, behind a solid OL and with a solid D he could be the one Rams fans saw early rather than the one who Fisher had a chance to put his fingerprints on.
Old 21.09.2015, 06:16 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw13 View Post
Austin Davis could do you a job, behind a solid OL and with a solid D he could be the one Rams fans saw early rather than the one who Fisher had a chance to put his fingerprints on.
He's in Cleveland now isn't he. I did wonder about him (and Connor Shaw), but you have to wonder how long it would take for someone to come in and get up to speed with the playbook. Weeden has had 2 years to get a handle of on this offence.

The more names are discussed, the more I'm starting to think it's just not worth bringing anyone in (to start anyway). There are no veterans out there that are an upgrade on Weeden, especially short term - and any move is being made for exactly that, the short term.

I think it's partially a knee jerk reaction to what looked to be a promising season going off the rails. Kind of 'quick, what can we do to limit the damage. We have to do something, anything'.
Old 21.09.2015, 06:58 PM
Starter

Default Kellen Moore QB

You guys signed Kellen Moore onto practice squad a few weeks ago.
http://www.ktvb.com/story/sports/201...boys/71844032/
He links up with his old OC and the coach likes him.

I'm a big fan of Kellen M once he picks up the play book, he's smart and doesn't make many bad decisions. Didn't think he got a fair shot in Detroit due to Stafford.
If Romo out for most of season I'd get Kellen into game. I dont think Weedon is the guy? But at the rate the cowboy players are dropping!
Old 21.09.2015, 07:04 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklong_13 View Post
You guys signed Kellen Moore onto practice squad a few weeks ago.
http://www.ktvb.com/story/sports/201...boys/71844032/
He links up with his old OC and the coach likes him.

I'm a big fan of Kellen M once he picks up the play book, he's smart and doesn't make many bad decisions. Didn't think he got a fair shot in Detroit due to Stafford.
If Romo out for most of season I'd get Kellen into game. I dont think Weedon is the guy? But at the rate the cowboy players are dropping!
I expect he'll be Plan B if Weeden is terrible. As you say, he's familiar with Linehan which is a bonus, although I don't think he has the strongest of arms iirc. At least with Weeden people have to respect the deep ball, and that gives the running game more of a chance.

Still, Moore was very successful in college so I'd be intrigued to see how he handled things in the NFL behind a good O Line.