2016 Free Agents - Stick or Twist? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 13.01.2016, 01:34 PM
Hall of Fame

Default 2016 Free Agents - Stick or Twist?

I'll pinch this from a thread I saw on the Bears thread ('nod' to the Bears thread ).

Here are the Cowboys UFA's for 2016:

Morris Claiborne - 1year/$3m.
Greg Hardy
Mackenzy Bernadeau - signed for the Jaguars.
Rolando McClain - 1 year/$4m + $1m incentives.
Jeremy Mincey
Danny McCray
Jack Crawford - 1year/$1.6m (max)
Tyler Clutts
Charles Brown - re-signed.
Johsua Thomas - re-signed.
Robert Turbin - signed with the Colts.
Matt Cassel - signed for Titans.
Lance Dunbar - 1year/$1.75m.
Kyle Wilber - 2 years/
James Hanna - 3 years/$8.25m.

Maybe Hardy has kicked off the 'rust' this year and next year he'll be more like what was expected. I have my doubts that giving him a new deal would help his 'off the field' issues never mind his on field performance. It'll depend on the market I think but he certainly isn't worth what he could have been paid this year ($13m).

Mo? Who knows. Can he stay healthy? His play improved and he's been saying all the right things. Again it depends on other moves e.g. Cutting Carr?, as the Cowboys seriously lack depth at corner. For the right price, and given his form/injury issues it shouldn't cost the earth, it might be wise to keep him. Perhaps an incentive based deal like Sean Lee signed?

Bernadeau probably has the edge over Leary as he can play 2 spots (Center/Guard). He's a solid back up who I expect they keep.

McClain is an enigma. He can make plays, but then he can go missing. He's a physical force the Cowboys lack in the middle, but he has his share of injury issues too. If they really like a LB in the draft, and I'm talking 1st or 2nd round, then maybe they move on but I think they have their eyes elsewhere so it's probably best to keep him on a short term deal at least.

From the remaining names on that list I'd say Jack Crawford deserves a deal. Dunbar depends on his recovery as speed is a big part of his game. Turbin perhaps stays for depth purposes, he did show something at times. Hanna probably gets a deal as Escobar has a long road to recovery ahead, plus Witten isn't getting any younger. Age is against Mincey sadly, and again if they find something in the draft or retain Hardy then they may look elsewhere. Wilbur and McCray may offer some help on Special Teams, but they don't see the field often enough to warrant much. Wilbur seems to have been around forever, across both defensive schemes, but never makes a break through.

Ron Leary and Jeff Heath are restricted Free Agents so it won't cost a fortune to retain them if that's what they want to do. Personally keeping Leary makes sense, the Cowboys have been fortunate to avoid injury on the O line the last couple of years, but it's always nice to have decent back ups on hand. Heath is probably not a bad player to retain either, especially if you decide to move on from Wilcox and/or McCray.

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 05.04.2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 18.01.2016, 09:31 AM
All Pro

It's a dilemma at this stage of the season, Clutts? Did he play at all? and he's no spring chicken, don't see the point in retaining him, Mincey could sign a one year deal? I think it's time to move on from Carr and Hardy but give Claibourne a bit more time, Mclain is tough! keep or draft a lb? Ragland looks like he could b the type we need, Def keep Bernadeau and Leary
Old 13.02.2016, 11:26 AM
All Pro

Matt Forte? Dunbar is a free agent, even tho he wouldn't cost the earth to re_sign,what would Forte cost? 9 million cap hit last season
Old 15.02.2016, 10:18 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
Matt Forte? Dunbar is a free agent, even tho he wouldn't cost the earth to re_sign,what would Forte cost? 9 million cap hit last season
I don't think there is any chance they make a move for Forte, unless it's really cheap, as in almost minimum cheap, which it won't be.

Forte is 30. He has over 2,000 carries and almost 500 catches in his 8 year career (wear and tear?). I think he'll get $4m from someone, in his first year at least. I imagine some sort of front loaded deal too.

The only glimmer of 'hope' that Forte signs with the Cowboys is the fact the Cowboys have so little cap space committed to RB's at this point. I'd surprised if they have more than $3.5m devoted to the entire RB corps on the roster as it stands. McFadden is only $2.15 for 2016.

Alfred Morris would interest me, but the Redskins never trusted him as a pass catcher/pass blocker it would seem so I'm guessing that rules him out for the Cowboys.

Ronnie Hillman might be your Lance Dunbar replacement if he doesn't get resigned by the Broncos, or they could just bring back Dunbar if they have no concerns about his knee.

There is always the draft too, and to be honest that's where I'd expect to see the help come from, especially after ignoring it last year.
Old 16.02.2016, 06:11 PM
All Pro

Your thinking we sign a back in the draft then? i think we keep Dmc and Dunbar, as you say cheap as chips, Ivory would be a bit hit or miss i think, and i think it sounds like the Dolphins want to re sign Miller who would be expensive anyway-prob looking at 4 years 20 mill or something. I would love to see Forte in a Cowboy jersey and he might be willing to go 2 year 5 mill? bit cheeky but you never know, and i,m sure he would want to go to a club which gives him a chance of final glory.Elliot will no doubt go first round but there looks to be decent depth on backs, like i say i think we keep Dmc and see how Dunbar looks early doors-dont forget his 100 yard game against the Falcs before he got crocked.
Old 16.02.2016, 06:43 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Your thinking we sign a back in the draft then? i think we keep Dmc and Dunbar, as you say cheap as chips, Ivory would be a bit hit or miss i think, and i think it sounds like the Dolphins want to re sign Miller who would be expensive anyway-prob looking at 4 years 20 mill or something. I would love to see Forte in a Cowboy jersey and he might be willing to go 2 year 5 mill? bit cheeky but you never know, and i,m sure he would want to go to a club which gives him a chance of final glory.Elliot will no doubt go first round but there looks to be decent depth on backs, like i say i think we keep Dmc and see how Dunbar looks early doors-dont forget his 100 yard game against the Falcs before he got crocked.
Yep, the draft is the best bet I think at this stage. As for Forte it depends who wants him. The Cowboys went 4-12 last season so I doubt he sees them as a sure bet for success. I could see him taking a 'below market value' deal from someone like the Pats but not the Cowboys. The longer he goes unsigned though the more the price will drop.

I think you are looking at 3rd or 4th round in the draft, unless they start moving around with trades. It's very hard to justify the 4th pick overall for Elliott when you have invested in the O line. If they trade back 10 places or so that would be different but I don't see it happening. The 2nd round (34) won't get you Elliott and might be too soon for the next tier. 3rd round (67) should be about the right range. Last year Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson, and David Johnson went between picks 73 and 86 in round 3. Being at the top of the round gives the Cowboys a great opportunity to grab a running back.
Old 18.02.2016, 10:10 AM
Hall of Fame

Interesting to read this on about Rolando McClain in NFL.com's 'Free Agent Buyer's Guide' article:

'Rolando McClain comes to mind, even if he is a bit of a mystery. He finally started coming around in Dallas, and his 600-plus snaps in 2015 were among the best in football for inside linebackers in that scheme. Does a spotty past drive that number down to something enticing?'

600+ snaps? It's correct, but it didn't feel like that. I thought perhaps he didn't see the field as much in 2014 so I was confusing it with that, but according to PFF he actually played an almost identical number of snaps in 2014 too.

On the flipside he only played 11 games in 2015 (13 in 2014). He hasn't played a full 16 games yet in his NFL career and he's missed 8 of 32 games in his Cowboys career to date.

I agree with NFL.com, he certainly is a mystery. At times it feels like he has an impact, at other times your not sure he's even on the field. I suppose when you've got Sean Lee next to you it's easy to get overshadowed though.
Old 07.03.2016, 08:35 PM
Hall of Fame

So Ron Leary given a 2nd round tender, $2.553m. Will they keep Mackenzy Bernadeau now too? You would have thought so.

Jeff Heath given the 'original pick' tender, $1.6m. He was undrafted.
Old 07.03.2016, 09:02 PM
All Pro

ok now i,m confused
Old 07.03.2016, 09:14 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
ok now i,m confused
About?............