2018 Draft - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 27.12.2017, 11:24 AM
All Pro

Default 2018 Draft

Just looking at early prospects for next season according to Draftek. Unsurprisingly really, there is only one TE in the top 50 (Mark Andrews) 3 QBs, 4 RBs, but worryingly only 2 WRs. Pick 17? where do the Boys go? Unlikely a TE? 3 OTs are on the list but none seem to be a top 10 talent, no Guards or center appear at all.
Old 27.12.2017, 12:13 PM
Hall of Fame

Still some wiggle room on the draft order, but obviously the 'higher' the pick the better. Think they could end up 17, 18 or 19. Quite a few teams could end up at 8-8 or 9-7, but several of those beat the Cowboys this year anyway.

The 2nd round is the Cowboys TE domain, they've taken 3 there since drafting Witten in 2003 (and 5 more in the latter rounds). I fancy there is a good chance they take one there this year too - several, Andrews amongst them were given that kind of grade before the season - because no one has a clue what's going on with Rico Gathers.

Seems like there are 4 or 5 WR's being talked about in that 17 - 50 range, but as you say nothing 'spectacular' (yet). Whether it's a TE or a WR they need to add something more dynamic to their passing game.

Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame has been talked about as a top 5 pick potentially, certainly a top 10 choice for a team playing it 'safe'. It would be awesome if the Cowboys added another ND player in the trenches, but I don't think he'll reach the Cowboys.

Unless we're not being told something the Cowboys aren't taking an OT in the top 100., nor a Center.

LB seems a popular pick, especially Roquan Smith (Georgia), but it seems a 'luxury' pick dependent on Jaylon Smith and Sean Lee's health. Is a rookie LB going to come in and make such a huge difference year 1? I know Reuben Foster has been tearing it up for the 49ers, but Sean Lee is the key to this LB corps regardless.

I'd be more than happy if they picked Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan if he fell that far, but I think he's going to be gone by then. The Cowboys need an interior wrecking ball in their rotation despite David Irving's presence. An Aaron Donald, Geno Atkins type!

DT, WR, TE, DE, LB, S, OL - I could understand those picks at any stage of the draft.
Old 27.12.2017, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

With the 17/18/19th pick of the 2018 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select:

Calvin Ridley, Wide Receiver, Alabama

Old 27.12.2017, 12:48 PM
Hall of Fame

Fine by me.
Old 27.12.2017, 12:55 PM
Hall of Fame

Although I could quite easily see them bailing out of their pick like they did in 2013.

The likes of Ridley and Hurst could go in the 10-15 range.
Old 27.12.2017, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Although I could quite easily see them bailing out of their pick like they did in 2013.

The likes of Ridley and Hurst could go in the 10-15 range.
Plenty of ways Dallas could go tbh, depending on how FA goes. I'm having a hard time with Dez Bryant recently. He's hardly unproductive, but his star seems to have fallen quite a bit in the last couple of seasons imo.

Do you still see him as a #1, and is his drop in production (by his standards) down to the change at QB or has he regressed? Haven't really seen enough of Dallas lately to judge him fairly...
Old 27.12.2017, 01:26 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Plenty of ways Dallas could go tbh, depending on how FA goes. I'm having a hard time with Dez Bryant recently. He's hardly unproductive, but his star seems to have fallen quite a bit in the last couple of seasons imo.

Do you still see him as a #1, and is his drop in production (by his standards) down to the change at QB or has he regressed? Haven't really seen enough of Dallas lately to judge him fairly...
They need a spark on offence. Doubt free agency brings much, they haven't spent big for a while plus they have Zack Martin and DeMarcus Lawrence to tie up.

It seems like a number of things with Dez.....and he isn't a #1 WR anymore until he proves it.

Firstly, I think he wants to be a big part of the offense so badly he tries too hard. He's always going to be a focus of the cameras on the sidelines whether his 'rants' are good or bad. Those 'rants' put pressure on him and the team. When the ball has come his way this season more often than not it's been dropped, batted down or fumbled. To be fair he faces Josh Norman and Janoris Jenkins 4 times a year and they've tended to have his number anyway.

Dak clearly doesn't have the same rapport with him on the field that Romo did either, plus he isn't as accurate.

He's never been a burner. Dez' strengths are using his body to win contested catches or out muscle defenders on slants or hooks/fades. Get the ball in his hands and let him punish people after the catch. Those plays/throws don't seem to happen as often anymore, and when they do Dez is 50/50 at best on them whereas it used to 70/30 or better. He makes one play a game now if you're lucky, and that's probably the result of defences not fearing him anymore.

His new contract is way above his pay grade on current performance. They could get out of his contract this off season, certainly next off season. He's 30 before the 2018 season starts. I'd guess 2018 is a 'prove you've still got it' year.

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 27.12.2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 27.12.2017, 08:35 PM
All Pro

Ideally of course, Tyron Smith comes back healthy after a good rest and can shore up the position at LT, if that is the case, it looks pretty much set, Collins has been stellar at RT, Bell seems maybe to be the swing tackle and Looney can fill in at center or guard, do we keep Chaz? either way its not going to hurt to add another lineman in round 3 or 4.A couple stand out in potential draft choices who can play swing-Martinas Rankin and Tyrell Crosby-presuming McGlinchey has gone early.There doesnt seem to be any standout DBs in the draft and we seemed to have chucked all the eggs in the basket last season in taking rookies at that position, who may or may not work out going forward? Do we go DL? havnt looked at any yet, but any help stopping the run would be a big help for Lee/Smith. TBH cant see us doing much in FA as usual, trying to build a D with rookies is a big chance. The big board is going to change a lot as we know-even before the combine.
Old 27.12.2017, 10:04 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
Ideally of course, Tyron Smith comes back healthy after a good rest and can shore up the position at LT, if that is the case, it looks pretty much set, Collins has been stellar at RT, Bell seems maybe to be the swing tackle and Looney can fill in at center or guard, do we keep Chaz? either way its not going to hurt to add another lineman in round 3 or 4.A couple stand out in potential draft choices who can play swing-Martinas Rankin and Tyrell Crosby-presuming McGlinchey has gone early.There doesnt seem to be any standout DBs in the draft and we seemed to have chucked all the eggs in the basket last season in taking rookies at that position, who may or may not work out going forward? Do we go DL? havnt looked at any yet, but any help stopping the run would be a big help for Lee/Smith. TBH cant see us doing much in FA as usual, trying to build a D with rookies is a big chance. The big board is going to change a lot as we know-even before the combine.
No doubt they add an OT at some point, but I doubt it's a premium pick/free agent. I'd move on from Chaz Green, maybe Byron Bell too. They inspire no confidence whatsoever if Tyron goes down. I expect they just sign another veteran and hope he's an improvement over those two, plus maybe add a developmental guy in the later rounds of the draft.

This is a good DT class, and guys that fit the system too. Wilkins (Clemson), Hurst (Michigan), Phillips (Stanford), Taven Bryan (Florida), to name a few who could be 1st or 2nd round picks.

I think a lot will depend on if Marinelli stays or goes regarding the draft on D. He's never really valued the interior of their D line (or hasn't seen any prospects he's like enough anyway).
Old 28.12.2017, 11:47 AM
All Pro

Personally i would take Billy Price regardless! Guy will be a star in the NFL-him next to (hopefully) a fit Smith-yes