Premier League Thread - Page 503 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

  #5021  
Old 24.08.2010, 08:20 PM
Goodfry's Avatar
Goodfry Goodfry is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 22.06.2009
Posts: 5,792
Default

Just read a really intersting soccer articles talking about Inter Milian and their financial problems. Very intersting i would advise people to check it out

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...inters-success
Reply With Quote
  #5022  
Old 24.08.2010, 08:25 PM
NeathBlue's Avatar
NeathBlue NeathBlue is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 29.09.2003
Posts: 2,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfry View Post
Just read a really intersting soccer articles talking about Inter Milian and their financial problems. Very intersting i would advise people to check it out

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...inters-success
Half a Billion in 3 years
God knows what the powers that be within UEFA would say if they were an English club.
Reply With Quote
  #5023  
Old 25.08.2010, 12:57 AM
Gengar's Avatar
Gengar Gengar is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 28.12.2008
Posts: 5,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
Half a Billion in 3 years
God knows what the powers that be within UEFA would say if they were an English club.
I'm sorry to bust on your little englander mentality, but Platini is desperately trying to tighten the rules on spending and debt, not punish the English, he hasn't been able to get through the changes he wanted, because of resistance from clubs, many of them English - no league embodies a more laissez-faire approach towards debt, spending and ownership than the Premier League and it's starting to become a real problem, a PL team almost went bust last year. Chelsea and Man City are doing the exact same thing as Inter, as are Barca, Sevilla and Real. The only big European teams who haven't been living in a financial wonderland are Man Utd, Arsenal and Bayern.

Further to that if we listened to him we'd have had a fifth official on the line for Lampard's goal. Germany would still have beaten us, but Michel Platini is a man who has excellent ideas for the game. I understand people disliking Blatter, he's an idiot, but Platini isn't out to get us, if anything his ideas could well stop the Premier League from tearing itself apart.

Last edited by Secret Admirer; 25.08.2010 at 01:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5024  
Old 25.08.2010, 05:34 AM
Aikman_8's Avatar
Aikman_8 Aikman_8 is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 29.11.2009
Posts: 4,617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Admirer View Post
I'm sorry to bust on your little englander mentality, but Platini is desperately trying to tighten the rules on spending and debt, not punish the English, he hasn't been able to get through the changes he wanted, because of resistance from clubs, many of them English - no league embodies a more laissez-faire approach towards debt, spending and ownership than the Premier League and it's starting to become a real problem, a PL team almost went bust last year. Chelsea and Man City are doing the exact same thing as Inter, as are Barca, Sevilla and Real. The only big European teams who haven't been living in a financial wonderland are Man Utd, Arsenal and Bayern.

Further to that if we listened to him we'd have had a fifth official on the line for Lampard's goal. Germany would still have beaten us, but Michel Platini is a man who has excellent ideas for the game. I understand people disliking Blatter, he's an idiot, but Platini isn't out to get us, if anything his ideas could well stop the Premier League from tearing itself apart.
Agreed, i find it amusing hearing Chelsea fans complain about silly spending . Platini's hands are tied because if he brings in rules about spending limits i really believe the top teams will break away and form there own league. I think spending and wages should be a percentage of a clubs income.

Last edited by Aikman_8; 25.08.2010 at 07:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5025  
Old 25.08.2010, 08:18 AM
NeathBlue's Avatar
NeathBlue NeathBlue is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 29.09.2003
Posts: 2,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Admirer View Post
I'm sorry to bust on your little englander mentality.
I'm not English
While Platini may not come out publicly and single out English clubs he has in the last few years voiced concerns about the the dominance they were creating in the Champions League (despite it only being won twice) and he has never said anything about it when the Italians and Spanish were doing similar while at the same time getting into huge debts... The silence from Platini, Blatter and UEFA as a whole about the way both Real Madrid and Barcelona run up huge debts while still paying massive fees for players, as well as the way they go about getting these players, is deafening if you compare what they say about the spending of the English clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikman_is_god View Post
Agreed, i find it amusing hearing Chelsea fans complain about silly spending ..
I assume you have heard Chelsea fans complain elsewhere because i haven't complained and i haven't seen any on these boards complain.
Reply With Quote
  #5026  
Old 25.08.2010, 10:33 AM
Aikman_8's Avatar
Aikman_8 Aikman_8 is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 29.11.2009
Posts: 4,617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
I'm not English
While Platini may not come out publicly and single out English clubs he has in the last few years voiced concerns about the the dominance they were creating in the Champions League (despite it only being won twice) and he has never said anything about it when the Italians and Spanish were doing similar while at the same time getting into huge debts... The silence from Platini, Blatter and UEFA as a whole about the way both Real Madrid and Barcelona run up huge debts while still paying massive fees for players, as well as the way they go about getting these players, is deafening if you compare what they say about the spending of the English clubs



I assume you have heard Chelsea fans complain elsewhere because i haven't complained and i haven't seen any on these boards complain.
You may not of 'complained' but the tells me you find that kind of spending silly. Kind of hypocritical? No??
Reply With Quote
  #5027  
Old 25.08.2010, 10:52 AM
NeathBlue's Avatar
NeathBlue NeathBlue is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 29.09.2003
Posts: 2,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikman_is_god View Post
You may not of 'complained' but the tells me you find that kind of spending silly. Kind of hypocritical? No??
No i don't find it silly as you say... But i do find it a shock considering how established a club Inter are when you consider they have consistently been a CL team and they have won Serie A the last 5 years.... Even with big money sales like Ibrahimovic and extra revenue through winning the CL, Inter at best will probably only break even but more likely will post a sizable loss again So yes i do find it a shock that they have lost over €500 Million in 3 years and no i am not hypocritical.... I will leave that to Arsene Wenger.
Reply With Quote
  #5028  
Old 25.08.2010, 11:24 AM
Gengar's Avatar
Gengar Gengar is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 28.12.2008
Posts: 5,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
I'm not English
While Platini may not come out publicly and single out English clubs he has in the last few years voiced concerns about the the dominance they were creating in the Champions League (despite it only being won twice) and he has never said anything about it when the Italians and Spanish were doing similar while at the same time getting into huge debts... The silence from Platini, Blatter and UEFA as a whole about the way both Real Madrid and Barcelona run up huge debts while still paying massive fees for players, as well as the way they go about getting these players, is deafening if you compare what they say about the spending of the English clubs

I assume you have heard Chelsea fans complain elsewhere because i haven't complained and i haven't seen any on these boards complain.

Since you can't really prove a negative how can you be sure that Platini doesn't criticise Real/Barca etc?

Think about it, it's only news in England when he criticises English clubs. The Daily Mail don't care, or even have anyone who'd know when he criticises Spanish clubs on Spanish matters. More to the point it's an incorrect observation, he slammed the Ronaldo transfer in the press, however that was widely reported in England because it also pertained to an English club. I imagine much the same thing happens in Spain, when Platini has a go at Real Madrid, or bans their manager from the touchline for four CL games, Marca scream "Why does he only punish the Spanish? What about the behaviour of English managers? And their clubs' spending?" or maybe not, because Spaniards aren't so hopelessly insular as to think the rest of the continent has it in for them.
Reply With Quote
  #5029  
Old 25.08.2010, 11:47 AM
NeathBlue's Avatar
NeathBlue NeathBlue is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 29.09.2003
Posts: 2,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Admirer View Post
Since you can't really prove a negative how can you be sure that Platini doesn't criticise Real/Barca etc?

Think about it, it's only news in England when he criticises English clubs. The Daily Mail don't care, or even have anyone who'd know when he criticises Spanish clubs on Spanish matters. More to the point it's an incorrect observation, he slammed the Ronaldo transfer in the press, however that was widely reported in England because it also pertained to an English club. I imagine much the same thing happens in Spain, when Platini has a go at Real Madrid, or bans their manager from the touchline for four CL games, Marca scream "Why does he only punish the Spanish? What about the behaviour of English managers? And their clubs' spending?" or maybe not, because Spaniards aren't so hopelessly insular as to think the rest of the continent has it in for them.
Oh come on... the world is a small place these days and media like Sky Sports covers Spanish football in great depth and on many occasion the topic of finances has come up and the fact that Madid and Barca seem exempt to criticism.
Reply With Quote
  #5030  
Old 25.08.2010, 12:46 PM
Gengar's Avatar
Gengar Gengar is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 28.12.2008
Posts: 5,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
Oh come on... the world is a small place these days and media like Sky Sports covers Spanish football in great depth and on many occasion the topic of finances has come up and the fact that Madid and Barca seem exempt to criticism.
I just gave you an example of such criticism, but even so, I expect Platini is going to play his cards a bit closer to his chest in future, since UEFA simply don't have the power to push the big clubs around and because he gets so roundly criticised every time he dares to open his mouth and suggest something that many people have been saying anyway. Platini makes a better target for the English media's warped agenda because the criticism coming from a European, and a Frenchman in particular, fits in with the xenophobic narrative of their political coverage. I don't think I've ever seen a story about Platini which wasn't written along the implicit lines of "Nasty smelly European trying to hold back plucky Brits" or "Crazy foreigner has crazy ideas, will ruin beautiful game because you can't have 5 refs on hackney marshes, the spiritual home/grave of English football". The truth of the matter is that even whilst occasionally braving the line of fire being blasted out by the PR departments (yes, really) of the likes of Chelsea and Man Utd, he's still complicit in allowing a champions league payment structure that A) inherently favours English clubs and B) creates hegemony within domestic leagues - he looks like he doesn't have the balls for the fight any more.

Still he's better than the spineless lackeys in charge of the Prem, such as Phil 'asleep on the job' Gartside.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 06:39 PM.