Josh Mcdaniels worst first first offseason ever? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 01.09.2009, 06:55 PM
Pro Bowler

Default Josh Mcdaniels worst first first offseason ever?

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/01/d...-getting-dire/

How the hell do you go from Jay Cutler to potentially Tom Brandstater as your starting QB?
Old 01.09.2009, 06:57 PM
Hall of Fame

McDaniels's moronicness reached it's heights after dealing Cutler. Why suddenly now is he any worse than then, it's not like the injuries are his fault. This article is a couple of months too late.
Old 01.09.2009, 07:03 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattParker116 View Post
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/01/d...-getting-dire/

How the hell do you go from Jay Cutler to potentially Tom Brandstater as your starting QB?
By trading an immature QB and having an injury to your new starting QB. Worse things have happened
Old 01.09.2009, 07:05 PM
Hall of Fame

I like Brandstater a lot, having seen a lot of Fresno St games. I think he has what it takes to be an upper tier NFL QB.

But I would be amazed if that happened this year.
Old 01.09.2009, 07:08 PM
All Pro

McDaniels has driven a top franchise off a cliff - he might be the only person in the world left who really believes things are going well.
Old 01.09.2009, 08:11 PM
MVP

Brandstaters got a lot of talent, and has showed signs of promise against Chicago, he's not ready to start though, and I definately dont want Ingle Martin starting, hopefully Orton will be able to play or I dont like our chances of getting a win week1

McDaniels was wrong to try and trade Cutler for Cassel but it should have stopped there. Cutler was just as much to blame as McDaniels for the situation getting so bad between the two
Old 01.09.2009, 08:20 PM
All Pro

Except for the quite obvious matter that it wouldn't have come up if McDaniels hadn't tried to trade him for a chump.
Old 01.09.2009, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBronco View Post
Brandstaters got a lot of talent, and has showed signs of promise against Chicago, he's not ready to start though, and I definately dont want Ingle Martin starting, hopefully Orton will be able to play or I dont like our chances of getting a win week1

McDaniels was wrong to try and trade Cutler for Cassel but it should have stopped there. Cutler was just as much to blame as McDaniels for the situation getting so bad between the two
This has nothing to do with my being a Bears fan when I say this but it has always struck me that people are too quick to say that Cutler is just as much to blame... I know Cutler is not perfect as a person but his play for the Broncos was excellent. I think Cutler went about it all wrong but then he had nothing to gain by staying with Denver. They showed a lack of faith in him as a Quarterback, coming off an excellent season, and given the flaws with the team I think he probably thought there was no point in staying because there was no certainty he would not be dealt at a later time. Being a HC is as much about building strong relationships with your star players as it is actual coaching, look at how Bill Parcells treated LT because he was a star. Cutler is by no means an LT or even close but he was Denver's best player and the future of the team, you don't alienate those players ad you certainly don't trade them for a guy who has had one average year...

To compare the Skins have done exactly the same with Jason Campbell and where is it getting Campbell? To me it's only damaging his value to other teams since I am sure that he will be more heavily scrutinzed now possibly even benched at some point and it's clear the Skins wanted rid of him. In the end I think Cutler was very confident in his own abilities and thought he would prove them wrong. Was it the mark of a nice guy? No but then had he done anything to warrant his position being brought into question? No. I think McDaniels totally and utterly cocked it up and why he didn't see it coming is beyond me...
Old 01.09.2009, 08:29 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monie View Post
Except for the quite obvious matter that it wouldn't have come up if McDaniels hadn't tried to trade him for a chump.
True, but it didnt have to end up as it did had Cutler not behaved in the manner he did
Old 01.09.2009, 08:32 PM
All Pro

No, but it didn't have to be there at all if the Head Coach wasn't a moron with an ego the size of Burma.