Oakland Draft! - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Oakland Raiders

Old 06.05.2010, 07:13 AM
All Pro

Default Oakland Draft!

Hi All,
I just wanted to start this thread as the draft is done and all the pundits are saying the Raiders for the first time in many years have done an excellent job and the team this season will at last be competitive!!!
The debacle of JaMarcus should soon be sorted one way or the other as well what do you guys think is this the start of the something good for us or another season of so much promise not a lot of results?
Phil
Old 06.05.2010, 03:21 PM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to steakz

i dunno why people are saying its the first good draft in many years, only last years was seen as a dodgy one at the time.

2008 Darren McFadden was the BPA and was rated highly coming out of college.

2007 JaMarcus was a pretty much agreed upon 1st overall pick after destroying Quinn at the ?Sugar? Bowl.

2006 Michael Huff was another good college player who is finnally starting to play at the level expected

2005 We traded away our first pick then traded for another first rounder to get fabian washington, not great really but we did get randy moss after all. we also picked up Routt, still in the team but not great, Morrison who we just traded away, and Andrew Walter.

2004 Gallery was the "safest" pick in the draft.

but this draft does seem to have been especially productive, just need to wait and see how it turns out now.
Old 13.05.2010, 07:56 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakz View Post
i dunno why people are saying its the first good draft in many years, only last years was seen as a dodgy one at the time.

2008 Darren McFadden was the BPA and was rated highly coming out of college.

2007 JaMarcus was a pretty much agreed upon 1st overall pick after destroying Quinn at the ?Sugar? Bowl.

2006 Michael Huff was another good college player who is finnally starting to play at the level expected

2005 We traded away our first pick then traded for another first rounder to get fabian washington, not great really but we did get randy moss after all. we also picked up Routt, still in the team but not great, Morrison who we just traded away, and Andrew Walter.

2004 Gallery was the "safest" pick in the draft.

but this draft does seem to have been especially productive, just need to wait and see how it turns out now.
There's two things ...

1) most of those picks have been busts so "first decent draft" is about hindsight.

2) But ...

- 2008 we really didn't particularly need McFadden ... we already had good backs.
- 2007 Fatboy ... hmmm ... even if his headcoach didn't want him. That's hardly a ringing endorsement and it went downhill straight away when they didn't sign him before the draft. Given the offense Kiffin wanted to run they could have made a better pick and used got by with the QBs they were using.
- 2006 Michael Huff was a reach at best. As I understand he was the wrong size for a safety.

But drafts aren't just about the #1 pick. Who did we pick up in the later rounds?
Old 13.05.2010, 08:32 PM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to steakz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_blue_shorts View Post
There's two things ...

1) most of those picks have been busts so "first decent draft" is about hindsight.

2) But ...

- 2008 we really didn't particularly need McFadden ... we already had good backs.
- 2007 Fatboy ... hmmm ... even if his headcoach didn't want him. That's hardly a ringing endorsement and it went downhill straight away when they didn't sign him before the draft. Given the offense Kiffin wanted to run they could have made a better pick and used got by with the QBs they were using.
- 2006 Michael Huff was a reach at best. As I understand he was the wrong size for a safety.

But drafts aren't just about the #1 pick. Who did we pick up in the later rounds?
1) well in that case we cant say anything for sure about this years draft.

2) fair enough mcfadden was far from a need, but he was the best player available at the time IIRC.

for jamarcus russell predraft check out this post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
Here's what the pundits said before the 2007 draft.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

A selection of comments.

"I can't remember being in such awe of a quarterback in my decade of attending combines and pro days. Russell's passing session was the most impressive of all the pro days I've been to. His footwork for such a big quarterback was surprising. He was nimble in his dropbacks, rolling out and throwing on the run. The ball just explodes out of his hands."
ESPN's Todd McShay

"I think JaMarcus Russell to the Raiders scares me. I would have done the exact same thing Oakland did, to be sure. But the formula for early success is a bad one there. So much pressure on him to perform well early, with such a porous offensive line, and who knows what at wideout."
SI's Peter King

"JaMarcus Russell is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team -- on the practice field, in that locker room. Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that's certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. ...You're talking about a 2-3 year period once he's under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like."
ESPN's Mel Kiper

"If you had to choose a quarterback, who would you pick, JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn? Both have strengths and glaring weaknesses. It goes down to which guy is most coachable. I might take Quinn for that reason. But, pure skill with a ton of work to do, it would be Russell. If you put a gun to my head, I would pick Russell. But he comes with a lot of risk."
ESPN's Merril Hoge

"This year, I can't get over how good and talented JaMarcus Russell is. It just blew me away. If I had the first, second, third, fourth, fifth pick in that draft, I would be tearing apart his personal life trying to figure out whether or not I could trust this kid with $10-million ... From a physical skill set perspective, I've never seen a college quarterback with more ability than Russell. You put the tape on and it's frightening. The only thing that's going to keep [Russell] from being great is him. What it comes down to is you've got to figure out whether or not this kid wants to be the best quarterback in football. If he wants to be the best quarterback in football, he can be."
NFL Network's Mike Mayock

"He has a cannon for an arm, can make all the throws and has great size. Heck, he looks like a tackle playing quarterback. I just don't see the pinpoint passing, the great timing of the throws or his feel for the pocket. He's careless with the ball, at times, and he struggled against the better college defenses. Can he develop into a quality NFL quarterback? You bet. Would I take him with the first overall pick? No way. As of now, I have him rated at the 20th-best player."
CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco
huff was a reach but you cant deny that hes turned out not bad, not great either but a decent safety this last season. same was said of Aso at the time he was a reach then but again, time showed him to be an excellent pick.

so what im really trying to say is at the time of drafting, our recent drafts barring 2009s first and second round were reasonable at the time. if we want to go down the hindsight route then we can only say for sure whether this draft is good or not in a couple of years time.
Old 06.06.2010, 05:01 PM
Rookie

I like this years draft. No stupid 'glory' boys like Russell or McFadden in the early rounds, just solid grafters of the sort the team actually needs. Obviously it will take a couple of years for the new guys to settle in but right now, I'm confident that the future is looker brighter than it has done for some time.
Old 02.07.2010, 12:46 PM
All Pro

Its always good that we can be optimistic at this time of the year and welcome to the boards.
Old 09.07.2010, 01:25 PM
Rookie

my friend keeps raving about rolando mcclain, he really thinks raiders are at the start of turning themselves around starting with this season

i decided to adopt oakland raiders as my team to support for various reasons (mostly just cause of my friend though) so i'm glad to be here at a hopeful time.
Old 01.11.2010, 05:28 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver&black View Post
Hi All,
I just wanted to start this thread as the draft is done and all the pundits are saying the Raiders for the first time in many years have done an excellent job and the team this season will at last be competitive!!!
The debacle of JaMarcus should soon be sorted one way or the other as well what do you guys think is this the start of the something good for us or another season of so much promise not a lot of results?
Phil
Well barring a quite spectacular collapse over the rest of this season the draft does indeed seem to have been a remarkable success, we are finally competitive, we have got rid of Jamarcus and replaced him with an NFL-calibre QB in Campbell (and a more than reliable backup in Bruce) and this season might just be the start of something good for us....MIGHT.

Perhaps now isn't the best time to evaluate, but still worth looking back at our drafts, all the way back to 2002, when the decline began. 29 of the 72 picks we've made since then are still on our books (I think there are a further 3 more players drafted before 2002 still with us).

1. Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama
2. Lamarr Houston, DT, Texas
3. Jared Veldheer, T, Hillsdale
4a. Bruce Campbell, T, Maryland
4b. Jacoby Ford, WR, Clemson
5. Walter McFadden, CB, Auburn
6. Travis Goethel, LB, Arizona State
7a. Jeremy Ware, CB, Michigan State
7b. Stevie Brown, S, Michigan

2009 (5 out of 7 picks still with us)
1. Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
2. Mike Mitchell, S, Ohio University