Gamepass vs. Skyplayer - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Old 21.08.2010, 07:20 AM
Pro

Default Gamepass vs. Skyplayer

I'm looking for advice / recommendations / first hand experience between these two if anyone has it?
I have tried both systems 'trial' versions on my nominal 8meg ADSL line. Gamepass seems to have adaptive bitrate and mentions 750kpbs as a minimum requirement, 2meg for steady high quality. The trial looks fine for my needs.
Skyplayer just says 2meg required, which I ought to get , but Sunday 5pm is very slow, something that shouldn't happen but I'm taking up with my ISP. Skyplayer seems to buffer pretty badly below this level.
Skyplayer will be cheaper for non fixed contract to include sky's playoff games, but will gamepass give me a better overall service?
I am only looking to really see the two sunday games each week, as i don't have time any other day of the week to see all of gamepasses content.

Really I'm asking fo recent first hand streaming advice on both systems really ?
Old 21.08.2010, 07:25 AM
Team Captain

I've got Sky at home, so most likely when I go to uni I'll buy GamePass and use SkyPlayer.

The trail for GamePass was really poor in quality at the very start of the demo, like a green screen etc. etc. but once it got going was pretty good. I've never actually used SkyPlayer properly, so I'm going to learn how to before the season starts.

I don't know if you can actually buy SkyPlayer without a Sky subscription though, can you?
Old 21.08.2010, 07:55 AM
Pro

Yes, Skyplayer can be bought for a stand-alone subscription, with no contract, which is why it appeals as I don't want 12 months tie in when I only watch NFL Sept - Feb.
Old 21.08.2010, 09:23 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1eebo View Post
Yes, Skyplayer can be bought for a stand-alone subscription, with no contract, which is why it appeals as I don't want 12 months tie in when I only watch NFL Sept - Feb.
Yes thats the beauty of it, no contract.

If you sign up with Skyplayer before 30th Sept you can get the entertainment pack (mandatory) and full sky sports 1-4 for £20/month for 3 months.

I personally feel having had both that GamePass is much better, but both have been known to have had their niggles. Personally I like to choose my games, Dolphins of course and other great matchups. If anything goes wrong with the buffering on Skyplayer your done for, but at least you've got the archives with GamePass.

Buffering issues on Skyplayer I think are much improved from previous years, not as common. Also some of the sports channels now have adaptive (auto) stream on now, take a look.
Old 21.08.2010, 12:09 PM
Team Captain

Watching SkyPlayer at the moment, actually. It's pretty decent.

3 quality levels, running sweetly on medium and a little jumpy on high, but that's sky tv quality almost on my laptop.