Options for watching Gamepass on TV other than laptop? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Old 26.07.2013, 02:42 AM
Pro

Default Options for watching Gamepass on TV other than laptop?

I don't want to have my laptop hooked up to my TV all this season again and I'm trying to figure out what the best way to do this will be. I've been looking at those android based HDMI sticks so I could use the official GamePass app on it but has anyone tried them with GP yet? I'm worried since it's designed for tablets it may not translate well to a large screen, there may be issues with the bitrate since I think you still can't manually select the bitrate in the app.

If anyone has any suggestions other than the laptop again then post them here.
Old 26.07.2013, 02:24 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambra View Post
I don't want to have my laptop hooked up to my TV all this season again and I'm trying to figure out what the best way to do this will be. I've been looking at those android based HDMI sticks so I could use the official GamePass app on it but has anyone tried them with GP yet? I'm worried since it's designed for tablets it may not translate well to a large screen, there may be issues with the bitrate since I think you still can't manually select the bitrate in the app.

It sounds like you have a tablet right? The easiest option would be to purchase Apple TV (£100). You'll be able to replicate your GP from your tablet to the screen via 'airplay' (no cables), and reading from a few posters, the quality is supposed to be OK. The GP team are developing it so right now it may be shoddy still but they will look at improving it during the season.
Old 26.07.2013, 04:55 PM
Pro

I don't have a tablet, just the laptop. The tablet bit I was referencing was that the GP Android app is designed for at most a 10" tablet while my screen is cloer to 30".
Old 27.07.2013, 12:06 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Been playing with one of those android sticks this week to see if its worth using that instead of my raspberry pi running xbmc and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

They are slow as hell, buggy as hell due to the fact the android os is designed for touch screen devices not a keyboard and mouse and I couldnt even get gamepass to download on mine.

Im not using gamepass this year anyway as I have other ways to watch games that based on previous posts being deleted I cant talk about
Old 27.07.2013, 01:21 AM
Pro

What stick are you using? Some of the real cheap ones are complete rubbish and don't have the Google Play store since they don't pay Google anything for the access. I'm looking at one of the newer dual core sticks and a few gigs of RAM.

I'd love to use the Pi but I'm prety sure there's no way to get GP on that at all.
Old 27.07.2013, 09:45 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
What stick are you using? Some of the real cheap ones are complete rubbish and don't have the Google Play store since they don't pay Google anything for the access. I'm looking at one of the newer dual core sticks and a few gigs of RAM.

I'd love to use the Pi but I'm prety sure there's no way to get GP on that at all.
Its not mine but it says android TV on the box, has a gig of ram and you can access the play store.

Its just buggy as hell and almost unusable, no app will download, when they do they dont run and it constantly crashes
Old 30.07.2013, 09:15 AM
All Pro

This should work: http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome...es/chromecast/
Old 30.07.2013, 12:45 PM
Team Captain

Quote:

Is this defo the case as i was going to buy one just to use for game pass and netflix
Old 04.08.2013, 10:52 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool Raven View Post
[/B]

Is this defo the case as i was going to buy one just to use for game pass and netflix
Afraid so. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but there's no Netflix on it either. It can't handle any variant of Android yet and the only variant of Linux out there doesn't support any Flash for browsers. It's best purpose is as an XBMC media player but that cannot do Netflix or live NFL games.

I'm most likely going to get a higher spec unit that can use Android well and leave the PI.
Old 04.08.2013, 10:54 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9 Bear (reregistered) View Post
That will likely work but for GamePass I'll have to be running it off a Chrome browser on a laptop which is pretty much what I'm doing already.