European League discussion (La Liga, Ligue 1 etc) - Page 69 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 17.08.2013, 05:57 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksgtmason View Post
this tax system has never been a problem before, its only now that monaco have a billionaire owner has it become a problem.

even when they made the champs league final was their tax system a problem of course not.
Actually it has been a source of complaint for years.
Old 17.08.2013, 10:41 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
Like........?
Depends where you want to play William, he mainly a Attacking Midfielder but he can play on the left, he been playing on the Left for Anzhi

Ibrahim Afellay
Viktor Fischer
Christian Tello
Nani (His wages won't be cheap)
Dennis Praet
Keisuke Honda
Julian Draxler
Georginio Wijnaldum

I would put Christian Eriksen but he would cost in the region of 20m

They the players what came to the top of my head
Old 18.08.2013, 06:56 AM
Hall of Fame

Tello is unproven and Afellay did very little at Barcelona whilst Nani is no more than the footballing equivalent of a show pony

Ericsson it's true looks a a talent but whilst pulling up trees in the forgiving environment that is the Eredivisie he did next to nothing in the Euros.

Honda is a player who would be excellent in the PL but will also be about £20m also.

Willian I'd still put on top of that list, but some good talent out there. Thing is the top English clubs wait to players become really established and then pay through the nose for them
Old 18.08.2013, 06:02 PM
All Pro

Barca only 6-0 up at half time...
Old 18.08.2013, 06:37 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt67 View Post
Barca only 6-0 up at half time...
So gap between 2nd and 3rd in La Liga.

I'm reckoning 30 points..........
Old 18.08.2013, 08:13 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
So gap between 2nd and 3rd in La Liga.

I'm reckoning 30 points..........
Sid Lowe on Guardian Football Weekly sounded genuinely depressed at the thought of another la liga season.

No top European league had an entertaining title race last season. 18-20 team, twice a season national leagues have had their day, at least at the top end. It is a 1900s concept and it is now totally unsuitable for the modern game. The gaps between the elite few and the rest are huge, growing further and short of billionaire owners arriving or leaving the gaps are insurmountable. I don't believe this is capable of being reversed on a national level, and on an international level only the larger countries are able to compete as clubs from smaller countries lose out on the big bucks necessary to compete. I think taking the dominating clubs out of their national leagues, removing promotion and relegation and regulating the spending at tht level is about the only hope. It won't happen though as football is the most conservative of sports and people fight change tooth and nail, particularly the big clubs with clout - why should they want to chAnge a winning formula? TheChampionsLeague still has some entertainment value as a competition , and the fact it has to go to the final game helps. But I am so sick of league football now, in all countries.... I've basically given up with it. The thing that gets me the most is that it is so predictable that fans find excitement and drama in the most mundane things, anything that goes the slightest bit off plan. Praising a team that came 8th as we all thought they would come 13th. Damning a team that came 4th as we thought they should have come 2nd, forgetting of course that 4th is better than 8th. Of course, we know there was never a chance in hell that the team in 4th would actually finish below the team we praise for coming 8th. That is not how the hierarchy of league football works. And if the team in 8th has unearthed some really great players? Should we get excited about them soon challenging for the title? Why no, of course not, we talk about how those players need to join the top 2 or 3 clubs, lest the comfy status quo should change.

God I hate what football has become. As a game it is great. As a competition, it is dreadful. The NFL is so much better organised and I hope they look at what has happened to European leagues and take notes.

Last edited by European Bob; 18.08.2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 18.08.2013, 09:05 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Sid Lowe on Guardian Football Weekly sounded genuinely depressed at the thought of another la liga season.

No top European league had an entertaining title race last season. 18-20 team, twice a season national leagues have had their day, at least at the top end. It is a 1900s concept and it is now totally unsuitable for the modern game. The gaps between the elite few and the rest are huge, growing further and short of billionaire owners arriving or leaving the gaps are insurmountable. I don't believe this is capable of being reversed on a national level, and on an international level only the larger countries are able to compete as clubs from smaller countries lose out on the big bucks necessary to compete. I think taking the dominating clubs out of their national leagues, removing promotion and relegation and regulating the spending at tht level is about the only hope. It won't happen though as football is the most conservative of sports and people fight change tooth and nail, particularly the big clubs with clout - why should they want to chAnge a winning formula? TheChampionsLeague still has some entertainment value as a competition , and the fact it has to go to the final game helps. But I am so sick of league football now, in all countries.... I've basically given up with it. The thing that gets me the most is that it is so predictable that fans find excitement and drama in the most mundane things, anything that goes the slightest bit off plan. Praising a team that came 8th as we all thought they would come 13th. Damning a team that came 4th as we thought they should have come 2nd, forgetting of course that 4th is better than 8th. Of course, we know there was never a chance in hell that the team in 4th would actually finish below the team we praise for coming 8th. That is not how the hierarchy of league football works. And if the team in 8th has unearthed some really great players? Should we get excited about them soon challenging for the title? Why no, of course not, we talk about how those players need to join the top 2 or 3 clubs, lest the comfy status quo should change.

God I hate what football has become. As a game it is great. As a competition, it is dreadful. The NFL is so much better organised and I hope they loos at what has happened to European leagues and take notes.
I agree completely however I would rather they LOOK at what has happened to European leagues
Old 18.08.2013, 09:32 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Patriot View Post
I agree completely however I would rather they LOOK at what has happened to European leagues
corrected . Can't type on those ipads....
Old 27.08.2013, 04:52 PM
Starter

Started a new feature on my blog where I pick a team of the month each week for the big five leagues in Europe. Started with France this week. Have a look.

http://gjsportsblog.wordpress.com/20...onth/#more-482
Old 27.08.2013, 09:47 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsportsblog View Post
Started a new feature on my blog where I pick a team of the month each week for the big five leagues in Europe. Started with France this week. Have a look.

http://gjsportsblog.wordpress.com/20...onth/#more-482
Good article, Gourcuff is primarily a AM attacking midfielder though but if he been playimg on the left for Lyon recently I do apologize

Some Ligue players to watch out for

Yassime Benzia - Lyon
Jonathan Pitropia - Rennes
Serge Aurier - Toulouse
Enzo Reale - Lorient
Adrien Rabiot - PSG

I can be a bit of 'nerd' for naming future talents with loads of potential

Last edited by shane_pats; 27.08.2013 at 09:50 PM.