New To College Football - Page 49 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Old 09.11.2015, 03:31 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
As you're a Steelers fan, you may want to have a passing interest in Iowa, if only for the fact that they model their uniforms after the Steelers!

Ah really, thats interesting. I actually have family in Iowa and years ago went to Des Moines to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northumberland Knight View Post
Well as native of Middlesbrough, I'm even less of a glory hunter!!! Started following UCF as they were one of the teams played in Dublin last year, I knew there was 25,000 Penn State fans coming and only around 5,000 from Orlando, so as a Boro fan, I had to go with the underdog!

There is bizarrely a Boro connection with Louisville too. They caught my eye a few seasons ago with Teddy Bridgewater was their QB. I did a bit of research on the city and discovered that they have a bridge over there which is like a mini replica of Middlesbrough's Newport bridge, so the deal was done!
Ah,I feel your pain ! I do like the idea of having some sort of connection with the team you support as clearly you have. Thats how I sort of picked Steelers as NFL team. Apart from Notre Dame there isnt any connection with the other teams but I'll just enjoy watching the games and learning the game & about the teams as I go.
Old 09.11.2015, 03:54 PM
Starter

Just one more thing to mention Bobby, I wouldn't be a true ambassador of the college game if I didn't point you in the direction of some of the smaller conferences, particularly (in terms of BT TV) the Mid American Conference, or - MAC.

Comprising of smaller schools in the Mid North of the country often in areas dominated for mass-support by the likes of big boys - Ohio State, Michigan et all. These schools usually play a lot of mid-week late night games in the late Autumn / winter.

Although less known than those big schools, these teams, for instance, Toledo, Western Michigan, Northern Illinois, Bowling Green and Ohio to name a few, play a great brand of football, often in poor weather towards the end of the season, in front of comparatively small crowds. But it's a hugely entertaining league with teams full of heart. Kids who are not necessarily playing for 'the draft', like your standard SEC prospect, but who are just doing it for the hell of it and to be hometown heroes. Think 'Friday Night Lights' on a much grander scale.

Last edited by Northumberland Knight; 10.11.2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09.11.2015, 04:20 PM
Pro Bowler

Excellent stuff cheers, they are all on BT sport late at night this week so I'll record them all and have a watch the next day.
I actually like the idea of lower level leagues where money hasnt infiltrated and sometimes ruined the game. Maybe its a northern thing but I also quite like being outdoors watching sports in apalling weather - Id love to go to a football game in the middle of winter when its bleaching with snow
Old 09.11.2015, 10:16 PM
All Pro

We've been lucky enough to get several games featuring teams from the American conference this season as well, although I guess this will drop off now.
Old 10.11.2015, 09:08 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylee73 View Post
Excellent stuff cheers, they are all on BT sport late at night this week so I'll record them all and have a watch the next day.
I actually like the idea of lower level leagues where money hasnt infiltrated and sometimes ruined the game. Maybe its a northern thing but I also quite like being outdoors watching sports in apalling weather - Id love to go to a football game in the middle of winter when its bleaching with snow
There are a couple of 'as-live' MAC re-runs daytimes too this week featuring Toledo, Kent State etc:

Check out the Week 11 TV Listings Thread on the NCAA forum for full details.
Old 10.11.2015, 01:14 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northumberland Knight View Post
Check out the Week 11 TV Listings Thread on the NCAA forum for full details.
Forgot to mention that as well, Statto00 does an outstanding job keeping us up to date with the games and what's going on.

His blog is well worth a read as well.
Old 10.11.2015, 01:31 PM
Pro Bowler

Wow, there really is alot of televised college games, thats this weeks evening tv taken care of !

Thanks for the heads up on the blog, I'll be sure to check it out.
Old 10.11.2015, 02:18 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylee73 View Post
Wow, there really is alot of televised college games, thats this weeks evening tv taken care of !

Thanks for the heads up on the blog, I'll be sure to check it out.
Hahah! Yeah, hope you don't have any family or friends, or anything! I'm off to a gig in Toon on Saturday and down with my folks on sunday - so will have double digit hours to catch up on!!
Old 10.11.2015, 02:36 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens55 View Post
Forgot to mention that as well, Statto00 does an outstanding job keeping us up to date with the games and what's going on.

Aw, shucks.

ThorpesSportingThoughts...
Old 10.11.2015, 02:38 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens55 View Post

I'd like to echo these words. Saves me a lot of time going on the clunky BT Sport website to see whats happening.