2016 NFL Draft Prospects Discussion Thread - Page 9 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Old 01.12.2015, 08:46 AM
MVP

Cheers Paul, appreciate it.

I've been more impressed by juniors this year, which is a shame. I like the guts to stay in school, so really for Moore and Howard, I hope they don't declare and develop further.

In fact probably the most impressed I've been this season is by a sophomore Anthony Walker at Northwestern. I saw a couple of their early games and he has star quality in spades.

I'm even considering sleeping this year and reading about the draft next day, Bosa, Tunsil aside, not too much to et excited about for me.
Old 01.12.2015, 10:27 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by duesouth10 View Post
Think he failed his Combine drugs test.

I haven't seen Skai Moore - but I wouldn't say 218lbs is a problem - unless he just can't add any weight (most can, but some can't).
Thought there was something but couldn't remember quite what it was.

Obviously it makes you a little scheme specific, and if you can't cover then you aren't going to make the move to safety either. At 6'2 you'd hope he can carry more weight on his frame, but then who is to say he's actually 6'2. College players have a nasty habit of shrinking in height once they arrive in Indianapolis. Who is to say he is even 218lbs, although as people know players bulk up and slim down heading into the combine too depending on what they feel they need to show.
Old 01.12.2015, 04:27 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Thought there was something but couldn't remember quite what it was.

Obviously it makes you a little scheme specific, and if you can't cover then you aren't going to make the move to safety either. At 6'2 you'd hope he can carry more weight on his frame, but then who is to say he's actually 6'2. College players have a nasty habit of shrinking in height once they arrive in Indianapolis. Who is to say he is even 218lbs, although as people know players bulk up and slim down heading into the combine too depending on what they feel they need to show.
Moore is a relatively big guy.

He met Jake McGee of Florida (a candidate for Mr Irrelevant) over the middle on a few occasions in that game and he certainly wasn't small comparatively. McGee is stated at 6'6 by the Gators website and given as 6'5 on most other scouting sites so it suggests that Moore is in the height region stated.
Old 01.12.2015, 04:44 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
Fallen - if UNC WR Jonathan Howard declares I'd be interested in your impression on where he would be a WR in the pros or a TE?
It isn't a loaded question as I often switch my opinion. At times his limitations are exposed but he is such a powerful kid I think he would be a solid TE. Then he pulls out a few worldy catches and I think you'd be wasting his talent asking him to block.
With North Carolina having such a good year there is every chance he wants to stay in school for a tilt at the final four. On the other hand he could declare while he is hot and maybe get drafted higher.
To be honest, I was completely stumped by that name. Then I realised your talking about Bug Howard and it all made a lot more sense.

If memory serves me right (and I was looking at Pharoah Cooper and Jerell Adams so he wasn't at the forefront of my mind) he has somewhere in the region of 3 games without a catch in his last 5 and 2 (maybe) 3 50 yard or more games all year.

As physically gifted as he is, that simply is not enough tape to give scouts a fair idea of how good you may be. If he has good people around him, I have no doubt he'll be back in school next year.

(Of course listen to whatever DS said more)
Old 02.12.2015, 02:43 PM
All Pro

Pharoh Cooper and Sterling Shepard are two guys I would love for Mariota. They suit his short/medium passing game perfectly.
Old 02.12.2015, 02:52 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_TITAN View Post
Pharoh Cooper and Sterling Shepard are two guys I would love for Mariota. They suit his short/medium passing game perfectly.
He's certainly had some big games that have been televised over here.

I wonder how he matches up to Ryan Broyles, the Oklahoma WR who was drafted by the Lions (54th overall) in 2012. He was almost identical in terms of size/weight, and he was very productive at OU iirc. Injuries derailed Broyles career, and I can't honestly remember if they were similar players, but I'm sure we'll hear the comparison at some stage during the draft process.
Old 02.12.2015, 07:51 PM
Hall of Fame

Not about prospect per se but compensatory draft picks will be tradeable from 2017.
Old 02.12.2015, 07:56 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin_Akie View Post
Not about prospect per se but compensatory draft picks will be tradeable from 2017.
Was just wondering where to post this.

I think they should be. At the end of the day they are just draft picks like any other.
Old 03.12.2015, 01:33 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
He's certainly had some big games that have been televised over here.

I wonder how he matches up to Ryan Broyles, the Oklahoma WR who was drafted by the Lions (54th overall) in 2012. He was almost identical in terms of size/weight, and he was very productive at OU iirc. Injuries derailed Broyles career, and I can't honestly remember if they were similar players, but I'm sure we'll hear the comparison at some stage during the draft process.
As Broyles was hurt and didn't have a Combine/pro day workout, we won't know for sure - but my perception is that Shepard has a little more in terms of straight line speed. Shepard is interesting, because I've seen him do good things as a PR - but he fair catches a lot - kinda bugged me a couple of times when he's had a shot at a decent return. I think if NFL teams don't see him as a good PR, then he could slip a little more than one might think (see Justin Hardy last year). Always with any WR's - but particularly the smaller ones - he'll need a 4.4 or faster 40 time; if he starts getting into mid 4.5's+ his stock will sink.

I can't see what I wrote on Broyles as it looks like the Football Diner has been taken down - but I liked him. I'm trying to think if they are similar, but my mind is not making the connection, even though I can't remember exactly what I thought Broyles was... Broyles quicker than fast I'm thinking - I think Shepard is both.
Old 03.12.2015, 02:13 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by duesouth10 View Post
As Broyles was hurt and didn't have a Combine/pro day workout, we won't know for sure - but my perception is that Shepard has a little more in terms of straight line speed. Shepard is interesting, because I've seen him do good things as a PR - but he fair catches a lot - kinda bugged me a couple of times when he's had a shot at a decent return. I think if NFL teams don't see him as a good PR, then he could slip a little more than one might think (see Justin Hardy last year). Always with any WR's - but particularly the smaller ones - he'll need a 4.4 or faster 40 time; if he starts getting into mid 4.5's+ his stock will sink.

I can't see what I wrote on Broyles as it looks like the Football Diner has been taken down - but I liked him. I'm trying to think if they are similar, but my mind is not making the connection, even though I can't remember exactly what I thought Broyles was... Broyles quicker than fast I'm thinking - I think Shepard is both.
Totally agree about WR traits, and how productive college receivers can 'drop' without them. Hardy being a good example as you say.

I'm never sure about production at this stage with BIG12 WR's, i.e. without a closer look at their tape. I worry their offensive schemes help to get the ball in advantageous positions, then it's down to be the better athlete in space. I don't think that's completely true of Shepard, but i'll hold judgement. Undoubtedly his production is a good staring point though.

After a monster year last year Rashaad Higgins (Colorado State) was a name to keep an eye on. Hasn't got anywhere near his 2014 numbers though, he's not broke a 1000 yards or 10 TD's in 2015. Admittedly he's not someone I've seen too much of him, but is one to look into no doubt.