Time to change coaching staff - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Washington Redskins

Old 10.11.2013, 10:04 AM
Rookie

Angry Time to change coaching staff

Totally frustrated again after watching the Redskins blow another game against the Vikings.Twice in the last few weeks the 'Skins have had teams right where they wanted them,Broncos and Vikings,then stop doing all the good stuff on offense which had got them into such dominating positions.Against the Vikings just like against the Broncos for some obscure reason the 'Skins abandoned the run and attempted to pass on every down resulting in sacks.When they finally got back to doing what they had been doing it was too late.
This can't be down to the players as they have proved this season they are a potent offense.Questions have to be asked about the coaching staff and play calling.
This cost the Redskins the playoff game last season against the Seahawks when stubbornly leaving Griffin on the field of play when it was clear he was injured despite having a more than capable back up in Kirk Cousins.
Now Shanahan and his son are depriving a playoff worthy team the chance of getting there with decisions once the 'Skins have built a lead over the opposition.
Old 10.11.2013, 10:42 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by leechallenger View Post
Totally frustrated again after watching the Redskins blow another game against the Vikings.Twice in the last few weeks the 'Skins have had teams right where they wanted them,Broncos and Vikings,then stop doing all the good stuff on offense which had got them into such dominating positions.Against the Vikings just like against the Broncos for some obscure reason the 'Skins abandoned the run and attempted to pass on every down resulting in sacks.When they finally got back to doing what they had been doing it was too late.
This can't be down to the players as they have proved this season they are a potent offense.Questions have to be asked about the coaching staff and play calling.
This cost the Redskins the playoff game last season against the Seahawks when stubbornly leaving Griffin on the field of play when it was clear he was injured despite having a more than capable back up in Kirk Cousins.
Now Shanahan and his son are depriving a playoff worthy team the chance of getting there with decisions once the 'Skins have built a lead over the opposition.
The main problems lie on the defensive side of the ball,
Also Licht and Polumbus can't return next year.
Old 10.11.2013, 12:04 PM
Rookie

You seem to have missed my point.In both games against the Broncos and Vikings the Redskins got themselves into 2 touchdown score leads and were dominating the games by using the run game and passing when really needed.
The tv match commentators were also praising the Redskins for impressive drives but then for some bizarre reasons Griffin was then attempting to throw the ball on every down and the offense collapsed on both occasions.
This then meant the defense were on the field far too long when the offense should have been using time off the clock and keeping Peyton Manning out of the game and allowing the Vikings to regain confidence.
Old 11.11.2013, 09:57 AM
Rookie

We have a back that can run 1600 yds in Morris and don't use him in the second half and with helu jr we should be steam rolling teams and eating time off the clock when leading in second half, it has to be the play calling, I like shanahan but maybe with a diff offensive co ordinator we could bring out the best in this potent offense. Defense has started to turn it around, and we are only 1.5 games off the top of the division, so we still have a chance!
Old 11.11.2013, 12:51 PM
All Pro

Not posted here for a while but some thoughts regarding this question:

Shanahan was given 5 years (with Bruce Allen) to turn this franchise around. Before that we had an idiot running the front office, a couple of disney characters coaching the team (Spurrier, Zorn) and bar Gibbs steadying the ship whilst never completely turning it around and one ok year from marty S this team has been bad since the early 90's. He was promised 5 years by an owner who traditionally interferes so if he's dumped 4 years in how does Snyder look and how does the job look to people who might potentially come in?

Playcalling - I get why people are frustrated with the moves away from the run after it's been so successful. However, if a team is bunching vs the run the pass should be open and the mismatches are there but if the players don't execute.............

Not to completely defend Kyle, the 3rd and 3 vs the Chargers where we passed and could have had 2 downs to seal the game had we run was a terrible call. However, the reason we lost to the Vikings is because of the problems we have had for most of Shanny's 4 years here - Defense. For me, Haslett has to go. I actually feel for him a bit in that because of the cap penalties and such that he's never been given a deep squad of talent to work with (the likes of Kedric Gloston and Reed Doughty are starting,these guys were back-ups from the Gibbs Mk 2 era for crying out loud!) but this unit lacks the basic fundamentals that frustrate everyone - poor tackling, stupid penatlies, busted coverages. The onlky thing they have done in Haslett's time is get turnovers and score some points but other than that he needs to go.I'd love to have Todd Bowles (a former 'Skins player) come over from the Cardinals but I doubt we'd be able to get him, otherwise I'd look around for a hot young positional assistant who is prepared to install an aggressive, attacking scheme that puts pressure on the QB constantly.

You make a change on offense though what does that do to RGIII? Kyle and Mike have designed this offense to fit his skill set and after a slow start this season it's shown it works. We have a good/great running game, a QB who can hurt defenses through the air and with his legs but is still young and learning and a couple of receiving targets who can be difference makers (Garcon, Reed).

I'd make a change on the D but I'd keep faith with the Shanahan's for one more season barring an absolute disaster these final 7 games (I don't expect us to go better than 6-10 though).
Old 11.11.2013, 04:38 PM
Rookie

With reference to your quote You make a change on offense though what does that do to RGIII? I would say he would vastly improve along with the rest of the offense because at the moment the playcalling is stifling his skills and almost killing him.
Old 11.11.2013, 08:21 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by leechallenger View Post
With reference to your quote You make a change on offense though what does that do to RGIII? I would say he would vastly improve along with the rest of the offense because at the moment the playcalling is stifling his skills and almost killing him.
Not sure I agree. I do think when defenses can tee off on him we aren't coping well as a unit. Blitz pick up is poor and out OLine doesn't look as effective pass protecting as when play action is a factor. However RGIII is still at the point where he's not the quickest through his reads so he then either tends to buy himself more time or hold on to the ball too long. I'm not sure his skill set would translate too well into something like a WCO.

I do get the frustrations but for me the simple answer is this team isn't talented enough across the board so far and part of that is having to deal with effectively 15% of the cap removed for two seasons. I think barring a disaster of a finish (in the 4-12 region) that the majority of this coaching staff should get another chance but I'd like to see a change on defense with Haslett dumped and possibly Burns on special teams too although it makes me chuckle that so many people wanted Danny Smith gone and now he is gone the unit has fell apart.
Old 11.11.2013, 09:19 PM
All Pro

I've tried not to think this way, but frankly it's hard to justify keeping Shanahan on. He asked for 5 years to turn the franchise around, but in year 4 it still feels like the progress is not there. I know how bad the Danny & Vinny show left things, but to still be at 3-6 in the 4th year is far from what we should expect. Barring that exciting (and not to be forgotten) seven game winning streak, it's been much the same as seasons past.

He's made his mistakes, both in terms of player acquisitions and in keeping on Haslett (the down side of that seven game streak), but I do like some of the guys he's brought in. However, discipline has been sloppy, play inconsistent. I believe a successful football team is a balanced ecosystem of front office, coaching staff and players. However, a good coach can always achieve more from lesser players. I don't think we're getting that. I do think we're seeing a reprise of the criticisms that led to his firing in Denver. It so often feels the adjustments made at half time are lacking compared to our opponents and that's what holds this team back.

Even if Shanahan is kept, he's a lame duck coach next season unless the team turns it around. Sure, bring in another D-coordinator, but whoever that is may well be put off in this knowledge unless Shanahan is extended, and there is no justification for that right now.

This team needs a non-coach GM (Allen can stay, but not for personnel decisions). AJ Smith is not that guy (even though he is in the front office). I want someone new, with a track record of success and an ability to decide what the players they have now on defense truly allows the team to be (3-4 or 4-3). Ideally the head coach should be an offensive mastermind with a history of developing quarterbacks and working with mobile ones. He should have NFL experience in one form or another (i.e. not exclusively college ball) and he should not be a retread trying to restore former glories. He should be allowed to choose his own co-ordinators, people he has a good partnership with and most importantly people with extensive knowledge of the schemes being run.

I don't believe in an overhaul of the roster: O-line seriously needs addressing, a big-bodied WR with the ability to make catches in traffic, more MLB help and both safety positions is what this team needs, but there is a core to work with. Can't expect that to be fixed in one season, but at least some areas can.
Old 11.11.2013, 09:54 PM
Pro Bowler

I have just looked at our starters on both sides of the
ball and I put the players in A, B, and C catagories of
how good they are, A and B make next years team and
C is a question mark. My opinion is we need RG, C, IIb,
S, DE, RT and WR, the good news is we have almost
all our draft picks and wait for it $35m plus in cap space.
Old 11.11.2013, 10:30 PM
All Pro

I actually think one of our bigger needs is a good slot receiver. Last year it was Moss and he made some big plays and crucial 3rd down conversions but this season he's dropped off badly and is likely done at seasons end. That production hasn't been replaced and I could see him and Morgan gone and two guys brought in too add to what we have. I was hoping Robinson might be the guy to take up some of Moss' production but that hasn't proven to be the case.