Time to change coaching staff - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Washington Redskins

Old 09.12.2013, 12:36 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuds100 View Post
I agree he has to be a goner after that display (It was like a parting shot)
The speculation as to who gets the job will start immediately so here's my 2cents worth,
I would prefer a first time NFL head coach either recruiting from college or a up and coming coordinator,
The two I've heard and like are Shaw the Stanford HC and Jay Gruden from the Bengals.
The most important hire Snyder has to make needs to be a GM responsible for personnel acquisitions - both player and staff. If that's somebody within the organisation who is highly regarded in NFL circles, then fine. But it should be neither Bruce Allen (who has other value to the team) or AJ Smith who are currently employed in the front office. From outside the organisation it needs to be someone from a constantly successful, stable franchise who is in line for such a job. No point in Snyder starting the coach search himself at this time.

That GM needs to hire the head coach. That coach should be youngish, offensively minded and with extensive NFL experience (allowed to be a college coach, but only on that condition), but not a retread and most certainly not a former superbowl winner (absolutely no to Jon Gruden). He needs to have a track record of making halftime adjustments that turn potential losses into victorious outcomes. An emphasis on the importance of the offensive line and the understanding of what makes a good one is a must. Experience working with mobile quarterbacks and being good friends with an excellent quarterbacks coach and a defensive coordinator who knows how to run a 3-4 (unless it's determined a return to the 4-3 would be more beneficial) would all be ideal qualities, but I'd settle for some if all weren't possible.
Old 09.12.2013, 04:21 PM
All Pro

Snyder wont fire Shanahan in season, but 100% certain IMO he is done and hopefully his son too.

Shanahan still yet to win a playoff game since John Elway retired (Jan 31st 1999)
Old 10.12.2013, 12:48 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_friend_goo View Post
The most important hire Snyder has to make needs to be a GM responsible for personnel acquisitions - both player and staff. If that's somebody within the organisation who is highly regarded in NFL circles, then fine. But it should be neither Bruce Allen (who has other value to the team) or AJ Smith who are currently employed in the front office. From outside the organisation it needs to be someone from a constantly successful, stable franchise who is in line for such a job. No point in Snyder starting the coach search himself at this time.

That GM needs to hire the head coach. That coach should be youngish, offensively minded and with extensive NFL experience (allowed to be a college coach, but only on that condition), but not a retread and most certainly not a former superbowl winner (absolutely no to Jon Gruden). He needs to have a track record of making halftime adjustments that turn potential losses into victorious outcomes. An emphasis on the importance of the offensive line and the understanding of what makes a good one is a must. Experience working with mobile quarterbacks and being good friends with an excellent quarterbacks coach and a defensive coordinator who knows how to run a 3-4 (unless it's determined a return to the 4-3 would be more beneficial) would all be ideal qualities, but I'd settle for some if all weren't possible.
100% agree with this. I've defended the direction of this team but the last few weeks - and especially the last few days - has resolved me to the fact that this is a complete mess and no one comes out of it looking good.

Bruce Allen has done a nice job managing a bad cap situation but he's not a personnel guy which is what we need and a true GM who hues the coach and the staff (with input but the final say) and runs the player acquisition is needed. Do I think it'll happen - not likely.

I'm getting in early and hitching my wagon on Mike Zimmer for HC. Love that I've heard he's not a butt kisser which has likely cost him a gig in the past but that alone means he's unlikely to get a chance in DC.
Old 16.12.2013, 12:16 PM
Pro

Interesting. So is it now time to change starting QB instead of time to change coaching staff??

I'm not saying it definitely is, but from what I've read it seems that Cousins definitely made it seem that the problems aren't all about the Shanahans. He apparently worked quite well with them.

The next two games will be very interesting.
Old 16.12.2013, 05:18 PM
All Pro

Let a new coaching staff judge this roster but I still RGIII is going to be the man going forward. I also think both him and Cousins return next season and they only trade one of them if they get a silly offer they can't refuse (ie at least a first for Cousins).
Old 19.12.2013, 03:55 PM
MVP

Change the owner.
Old 29.12.2013, 10:02 PM
All Pro

Can't be long now until the Shannys get the boot
Old 30.12.2013, 12:49 PM
MVP

Snyder and Shanahan to meet 9am eastern.

source: local radio
Old 30.12.2013, 10:42 PM
All Pro

Nice list of candidates here.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...washington-job

Glad to see the usual suspects (Cowher, Gruden etc.) aren't on it but Snyder does like his big names so you never know.

I like the idea of bringing back Russ Grimm, in some capacity anyway.
Old 30.12.2013, 11:32 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Presley View Post
Nice list of candidates here.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...washington-job

Glad to see the usual suspects (Cowher, Gruden etc.) aren't on it but Snyder does like his big names so you never know.

I like the idea of bringing back Russ Grimm, in some capacity anyway.
A disaster list.