LA Chargers - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Los Angeles Chargers

Old 04.07.2016, 06:26 PM
TexanTom

Default LA Chargers

Even though I'm a Texans fan, the relocations and general business off the NFL intrigues and interests me. I was wondering what Chargers fans' opinions is of the franchises relocation to LA? Are you in support of this or completely against? And do you think or what do you like the likelihood of it happening is? I see the Chargers, or has been reported that they have trademarked the name 'Los Angeles Chargers', which would insinuate to me that it's most definitely on?!
Old 05.07.2016, 08:55 AM
Pro Bowler

The worry I would have if I was a Chargers fan is that surely they'd always be second fiddle to the Rams in LA? Obviously it would be a bummer for Chargers fans living in San Diego and the very south of California too.
Old 05.07.2016, 02:02 PM
All Pro

So sick of the whole Stadium saga that I no longer care what happens.

If they get a deal done in SD then great, if not and they move to L.A., then good luck to them, but I'll no longer have any interest in the Chargers franchise or the NFL for that matter.

I wouldn't read anything into the trademarking of 'Los Angeles Chargers'. That was the franchises original identity and has been part of it for over fifty years.
Old 05.07.2016, 09:56 PM
TexanTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltman View Post
So sick of the whole Stadium saga that I no longer care what happens.

If they get a deal done in SD then great, if not and they move to L.A., then good luck to them, but I'll no longer have any interest in the Chargers franchise or the NFL for that matter.

I wouldn't read anything into the trademarking of 'Los Angeles Chargers'. That was the franchises original identity and has been part of it for over fifty years.
So if the chargers move to LA, you wouldn't follow them, or follow another team, or follow the NFL anymore? Strong opinion.
Old 05.07.2016, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTom View Post
So if the chargers move to LA, you wouldn't follow them, or follow another team, or follow the NFL anymore? Strong opinion.
I used to be a big NBA fan, loved the Seattle Supersonics - I was a much bigger NBA fan than an NFL one - it was the 90's and the NBA was super cool.

When Seattle lost the Sonics I tried to keep an interest in the sport as a neutral, I even tried rooting for other teams, but it never ever worked. I still do try sometimes, I'll watch a few games every year around opening week or catch some of the playoffs, but I can't love the sport without my Sonics.

Weird how the love of a team can be greater than the love of the whole sport, but I can vouch for the fact that it sometimes happens.
Old 06.07.2016, 07:19 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTom View Post
Nope. I'm a San Diego sports fan, not a fan of individual franchises. Same thing if the Padres left town.
Old 03.11.2016, 02:43 PM
Rookie

I've been following this story for a while. I really hope the Chargers stay in San Diego, I'm just not convinced it will happen. As I understand it:

There is a public vote being held in November to approve finance for a public contribution of $350million towards a new stadium.

Said money would be raised by a hotel tax on visitors to the city, and therefore not paid by the people of San Diego at all.

Said bill needs 66% of voters to support it.

The bill looks unlikely to get the required votes. People in California seem not to be disposed towards public subsidy of a billionaire's stadium, arguing the Chargers should pay for their own stadium. Also, owner Dean Spanos has alienated some by flirting with Los Angeles.

I'm not convinced Dean Spanos wants to move in with the Rams. The question is whether there are any other options available to him.
Old 03.11.2016, 04:35 PM
Starter

Share with the Raiders in Vegas? End up in London? Or stop being a skinflint and pay his way and get the stadium done.
Old 03.11.2016, 05:44 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
I used to be a big NBA fan, loved the Seattle Supersonics - I was a much bigger NBA fan than an NFL one - it was the 90's and the NBA was super cool.

When Seattle lost the Sonics I tried to keep an interest in the sport as a neutral, I even tried rooting for other teams, but it never ever worked. I still do try sometimes, I'll watch a few games every year around opening week or catch some of the playoffs, but I can't love the sport without my Sonics.

Weird how the love of a team can be greater than the love of the whole sport, but I can vouch for the fact that it sometimes happens.
I'm in pretty much the same boat right now (with the NFL rather than NBA) without the Rams I've found my enjoyment of the NFL overall has plummeted. I still love the college game, but I've been surviving the past few weeks on fantasy. but I'm eliminated from the playoffs in that, I could see myself not watching this Sunday.
Old 05.12.2016, 07:56 AM
Starter

I've been supporting the Bolts since 2008, and I shall continue to support them wherever they go. I couldn't imagine trying to support another team, it just would not feel the same.

I've never actually been to San Diego, something I have always wanted to do but never got round to it. I can't help but feel though, if the support isn't there for a new stadium, from a public point of view, then the city doesn't deserve a team there. For years there have been empty seats at games, other teams having almost as many fans as ours which is ridiculous. Yes the Chargers are a San Diego team, but if people aren't going to the games and voting on new stadium plans, then it may be time to move on.

Despite this, I would prefer them to stay in San Diego, I think everyone wants that. But if they do move to LA, it's really not the end of the world, and I shall continue supporting them the same way I have been doing for the past eight years.