New England Patriots franchise Matt Cassel - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 06.02.2009, 12:24 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFireBlade View Post
Desperate times call for desperate measures. How many teams are in dire need of a QB? How many teams border the playoffs and think a new QB could be that extra step over the line? Oh, we'll get major reward for him, and yes, commit daylight robbery in the process. Such is the way with quarterbacks, especially with a bidding war.
I don't see there being a bidding war, I think a team will come in with a suitable offer and the Patriots will take it.

For what it's worth, I hope the Chiefs put a package together that includes Gonzalez for Cassel.
Old 06.02.2009, 12:26 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurry View Post
I don't see there being a bidding war, I think a team will come in with a suitable offer and the Patriots will take it.

For what it's worth, I hope the Chiefs put a package together that includes Gonzalez for Cassel.
I want Gonzo, too, but it'd take him plus two 2nd round picks, say, for us to consider it. Gonzo has a year...two at best, left. Interesting idea though. Although I think Thigpen is their franchise QB. The guy did well and showed poise.

There will definitely be a bidding war. There are at least 3 playoff-fringe teams (one more if Favre goes), plus 5 or 6 sucky teams, all vying for a new QB. Plus the odd other one who may not be entirely happy (Tennessee?)
Old 06.02.2009, 12:35 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFireBlade View Post
There will definitely be a bidding war. There are at least 3 playoff-fringe teams (one more if Favre goes), plus 5 or 6 sucky teams, all vying for a new QB. Plus the odd other one who may not be entirely happy (Tennessee?)
Jets won't even get a look in unless they offer every draft pick for the next 10 years!

Here's where I see as possible landing spots (in order of likelyhood):

Detroit
Kansas City
Minnesota
San Francisco
Tampa Bay
Carolina
Chicago
Tennessee

Last edited by scurry; 06.02.2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06.02.2009, 12:40 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurry View Post
San Francisco
Minnesota
Detroit
Tampa Bay
St Louis
Carolina
Kansas City
Tennessee
Jacksonville
Chicago
Washington
That's my order. Add the Jets to the bottom if Favre goes. Agreed on them having to pay big to get a Patriot, but you never know.

I think San Fran is most likely for a first and a third this year and a third next year.
Old 06.02.2009, 08:56 AM
Hall of Fame

Strange that no-one mentions the Jets in the order of teams...

Take it we all feel that no talks between the two parties will ever take place!

Last edited by Ensign; 06.02.2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06.02.2009, 09:10 AM
Pro Bowler

they are now paying him more than brady...ye theres a problem with that statement, i.e.: brady is a mvp, superbowl mvp and 3 time superbowl winner, cassel has won 11 games

i think a link to the chiefs is possible especially as gonz wants out and pioli will probably want his own Qb
Old 06.02.2009, 09:59 AM
Team Captain

He isn't being paid anything yet.

He hasn't signed.

He has been tagged.

And will be traded.
Old 06.02.2009, 10:06 AM
GOAT

It only needs one team willing to overpay and we'll be laughing.

As for what this means about Tommy's injury, if he's traded early then you'd have to think that he'll be fit and firing for opening day, if it's after the draft though, there's questions.
Old 06.02.2009, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruschi 54 View Post
It only needs one team willing to overpay and we'll be laughing.

As for what this means about Tommy's injury, if he's traded early then you'd have to think that he'll be fit and firing for opening day, if it's after the draft though, there's questions.

My understanding so far is that the Pats will have to loose one of their QB's, almost certainly Cassel, because of cap issues and not being able to afford to keep both.......With this in mind will it not encourage teams not to overpay??......Or is the general thinking that sooner or later a team that wants Cassel badly enough will cave in and cough up??....
Old 06.02.2009, 10:31 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_H View Post
My understanding so far is that the Pats will have to loose one of their QB's, almost certainly Cassel, because of cap issues and not being able to afford to keep both.......With this in mind will it not encourage teams not to overpay??......Or is the general thinking that sooner or later a team that wants Cassel badly enough will cave in and cough up??....
We can afford to pay him. If we need to we will as well, a decision I'll be happy with. You have to protect the Franchise.

Tags
afc east , brady , cassel , nfl , patriots