You gotta let me know, should Haslett stay or should he go? - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Washington Redskins

Old 01.01.2011, 03:07 AM
All Pro

I could see Marv Lewis or Mike Zimmer coming in but I'm not totally against Haslett staying. I don't know how much say he has in running the defense in that has Shanahan asked him to stick to 3-4 exclusively and ride through the issues they knew would appear this first year with too many square pegs in round holes or has Haslett himself refused to mix things up more. I expected more of a hybrid defense this year, 3-4 looks mixed in with 4-3 base at times but the 3-4 has been dominant and not quite what I was expecting.
Old 01.01.2011, 08:09 PM
Rookie

In all honesty I would keep him. We have to remember we have 4-3 players running a 3-4 defense, it's going to take a little bit till we get some pieces in place, same can be said for Shanahan's offense.

I mean look at the turnover rate already with the 3-4, now imagine it with actual 3-4 players, I think we could be very dangerous.
Old 03.01.2011, 01:20 PM
Pro Bowler

His time is up.

The best move we can make this off-season is to appoint Wade Phillips as DC.
Old 03.01.2011, 03:14 PM
All Pro

I don't know if Wade Phillips could do much better unless there was a major personnel overhaul on D. Out of all of out linemen and LB's there's only Ke'emoeatu, Carriker and Orakpo who look natural in the scheme. Keeping starters healthy would have helped Haslett out too
Old 03.01.2011, 07:37 PM
All Pro

I'm not even sure Rak was a great fit, I think he suits his hand on the dirt better but he is still a natural rushing the passer and he is still been held by Donald Penn lol!

I though LFB did well considering he was one of my big concerns but we need at least two new lineman who can contribute along with Bryant, Carriker and Jarmon, a new ILB next to LFB (I wouldn't bring back McIntosh) and a new OLB opposite Rak. I think the secondary, if they can bring back Rogers, would be ok if the pass rush was improved and wasn't so reliant on blitzing.
Old 03.01.2011, 11:44 PM
All Pro

IMO Orakpo is a little under-sized to play DE in a 4-3 (sounds strange to say when you look at him I know). Yes he'd still get double digit sacks with his pure speed but I think he might struggle in the run game against a power rushing attack. To be honest I was surprised we drafted him. Obvioulsy I'm glad we did as he's already looking like a leader on our D but I didn't see where he fit into the 4-3 scheme we were running at the time.

If used properly in a properly staffed 3-4 scheme Orakpo could be as dominant as DeMarcus Ware or Clay Matthews. He has all the attributes but he's way out on his own as our best pass rusher and draws lots of attenton because there's no threat from anywhere else. Like I've said before, you need the personnel to fit your scheme and we just don't have enough 3-4 players on our roster. If we're going to stick with it we need to commit to it 100%, through the Draft and in FA
Old 04.01.2011, 12:28 PM
Pro Bowler

I'm not sure whether Orakpo is a better 4-3 end or 3-4 OLB to be honest. His physique should suit the 3-4 but from what I've seen it hasn't necessarily been clear cut.
Old 04.01.2011, 01:05 PM
All Pro

Seems opposing lineman have worked out an effective holding-without-actually-holding technique for slowing Orakpo down. He needs to bring more variety to his rush and learn alternatives to beat lineman applying that technique.

The only player effective at NT was Bryant, but he's not 16 game starter/every down material. Kemo was like the Rabach of the D. Carriker could turn into a smart acquisition, but the need for another genuine DE is necessary.
Old 05.01.2011, 11:07 PM
All Pro

Wade Phillips has gone to the Texans as DC so we can knock that idea on the head
Old 08.01.2011, 07:59 PM
MVP

I was against moving to the 3-4 and was unimpressed with the skins execution of it, mainly due not having the personnel.

But with another years worth of personnel change is it possible they might get the mix right?