You gotta let me know, should Haslett stay or should he go? - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Washington Redskins

Old 10.01.2011, 05:38 PM
Pro Bowler

I think Green Bay and Kansas City have proven that the transition from 4-3 to 3-4 is in inexact science. Green Bay made a relatively comfortable switch but that was on the back of the drafting of BJ Raji who is a prototypical NT and Clay Matthews who is so effective rushing off the edge it makes me wanna be sick (over him). Kansas City seem to have made an ok change too. But their front seven is littered with high end draft picks, including Tyson Jackson who was 3rd overall. One thing is for sure, top picks need be spent and the Redskins haven't yet.

Another constant for GB and KC are stud defensive coordinators with history of running 3-4s. I hope Haslett proves to be one too.

It'll be interesting how Houston adapt (assuming they do make the switch). Alot of investment has been made to their 4-3 (Mario Williams, Brian Cushing, Amobi Okoye, Connor Barwin, DeMeco Ryans).
Old 10.01.2011, 05:50 PM
All Pro

I think thats the key to making the transition. If you're going to go with it you have to go 100% and commit to adjusting the roster. Our problem is that we didn't really do that at all, either via the draft or free agency, Ke'emoeatu and Carriker aside. We just tried to plug our existing personnel into the new system and hoped for the best. The phrase square pegs in round holes pretty much sums it up

If Jim Haslett wants to make this 3-4 scheme work he needs to be in the ear of Shanahan and Bruce Allen this off-season and get the players that he needs to put an effective D together for 2011
Old 13.01.2011, 11:07 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggo View Post
The skins had a great run of relatively successful defenses with relatively weak talent.

Until this year.

Do you want him back?
we need experience in all departments. we need players who can block
Old 13.01.2011, 06:34 PM
All Pro

To be fair Blanches defenses could be frustrating because they never made plays when it matter. At least Haslett can turn around and claim the D won half our games (Dallas, Chicago, Jax) with plays they made.
Old 13.01.2011, 11:14 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman84 View Post
To be fair Blanches defenses could be frustrating because they never made plays when it matter. At least Haslett can turn around and claim the D won half our games (Dallas, Chicago, Jax) with plays they made.
How great was it to see defensive scores? Also, they gave up a shedload of yards, but only gave up 41 more points overall (21st in the NFL, definitely skewed by that horrendous drubbing by the Eagles), less than a FG more per game - hardly disastrous. Hopefully a second year in the system and a few well-chosen upgrades will make the difference.
Old 01.08.2011, 03:09 PM
All Pro

Thought this thread could do with a bump seeing as we've seen quite a bit of off-season investment in Haslett's D so I think we have to see a big step up this year. I like the look of our defensive front 3 much more with Cofield, Bowen, Jenkins and Nield all added to the rotation with Carriker and Bryant. Kerrigan's presence should help our pass rush too and Landry and Otagwe looks like a formidable safety pairing.

My big concern on our D is who plays alongside London Fletcher in the middle. Going into camp it looks like a straight fight between Perry Riley and Robert Henson, until there's an announcement on H.B. Blades status anyway, which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.
Old 01.08.2011, 11:44 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD for breakfast View Post
Thought this thread could do with a bump seeing as we've seen quite a bit of off-season investment in Haslett's D so I think we have to see a big step up this year. I like the look of our defensive front 3 much more with Cofield, Bowen, Jenkins and Nield all added to the rotation with Carriker and Bryant. Kerrigan's presence should help our pass rush too and Landry and Otagwe looks like a formidable safety pairing.

My big concern on our D is who plays alongside London Fletcher in the middle. Going into camp it looks like a straight fight between Perry Riley and Robert Henson, until there's an announcement on H.B. Blades status anyway, which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.
Wonder if Lorenzo could be moved inside to compete he is our stud special teamer
and will be a sure thing for hustle,
The worry upfront could be that we are undersized at NT though J Jenkins and Bowen
should improve us against the run.
Old 02.08.2011, 10:25 AM
All Pro

Latest I haved heard on this is that Cofield will get playing time at NT. In regards to the ILB position to partner Fletch, Lorenzo Alexander will be competing for this spot according to the Washington Post. Also, HB Blades is said to have re-signed.
Old 02.08.2011, 01:02 PM
All Pro

Lofa Tatupu is apparently scheduled to visit Redskins Park this week. He's injury-prone but he'd be asked to do less in the 3-4 than he would as the sole MLB in a 4-3 and I think he's still capable of playing at a high level
Old 07.08.2011, 01:59 PM
All Pro

Well, McIntosh is back too so him, Alexander and Riley look to be competing for that spot next to LFB. Orakpo and Kerrigan should man the outside backed up by the likes of Rob Jackson and rookie Marcus White. I do think having gotten better up front will help this unit as a whole. I kinda want Alexander to win that inside spot, I think it's a better suit to his skill set plus he's just the kind of guy you root for to do well.