...and with the 10th pick of the 2011 NFL Draft the Redskins pick..... - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Washington Redskins

Old 17.01.2011, 09:59 PM
All Pro

There are several high-calibre free agents available this off-season due to the expiring CBA and pending lock-out. Vincent Jacskon and Namdi Asamougha are just two of the players I would seriously consider pursuing. We wouldn't be alone there though

Anyway back on topic, from most of the Draft chat I've seen there is a lot of debate about whether there will be any genuine franchis QB's coming out this time. Cam Newton is the one name that keeps cropping up as the best QB in this year's draft but is he a fit for the Shanahan offense? He certanly has plenty of baggage to bring to the party
Old 18.01.2011, 04:49 PM
All Pro

I'm a 'Barn fan so not sure if I want the Redskins getting Newton after how Campbell turned out. He's a winner though with a big arm & mobile as heck. I get the feeling with Luck out of the draft he'll rise to a top 5 pick.

As for free agency, I'd look to help the OL there, possibly a tackle (if Brown moves on) & an interior guy. If we sign Scrabble I'll be furious, just think he'll cost too much, is heading towards 30 & is from a man-to-man scheme when we are heading towards more of a zone blitz look, I think he's a poor fit. Let someone else pay.
Old 18.01.2011, 06:27 PM
Pro

Anyway back on topic, from most of the Draft chat I've seen there is a lot of debate about whether there will be any genuine franchis QB's coming out this time. Cam Newton is the one name that keeps cropping up as the best QB in this year's draft but is he a fit for the Shanahan offense? He certanly has plenty of baggage to bring to the party[/QUOTE]

I think if we can trade up to a top 5 pick we should go for him. I think the key is to not rush into anything and make sure we pick up the right people for this team. It may take a couple of years for us to become playoff contenders and a few years after that to become superbowl contenders. It's about time we stopped handing out big countracts to people with good reputation and we started looking for people who will fit in the team and are willing to play hard for us (unlike Haynesworth).
Old 18.01.2011, 11:01 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15eastaf View Post
I think if we can trade up to a top 5 pick we should go for him. I think the key is to not rush into anything and make sure we pick up the right people for this team. It may take a couple of years for us to become playoff contenders and a few years after that to become superbowl contenders. It's about time we stopped handing out big countracts to people with good reputation and we started looking for people who will fit in the team and are willing to play hard for us (unlike Haynesworth).
You want us to trade into the top 5 (with an already depleted selection of picks) to pick up a player i'm not convinced we'll be reaching for if we took at 10 - and then you say key is to not rush into anything?

I agree with what you say about a couple of years away from the playoffs and that's why we shouldn't go QB with those top picks.
Old 19.01.2011, 11:58 AM
Pro Bowler

I would rather trade back and hope to pick up Pouncey who could start
day one at Center, round 2 maybe a Guard or DL and with any other picks
of McNabb/Haynesworth/Trade back look for the BPA,
In the later rounds maybe Shanahan could unearth another RB gem.
Old 19.01.2011, 05:54 PM
All Pro

Best player available imo (other than RB, unless he's a can't miss player).

DL, LB, CB, S, OL, QB, WR are all major needs.

I want the best possible player to fit our scheme. I would've approved of trading up to get Luck, but no one else.

We have too many needs to reach on a QB, or give up draft picks to trade up.
Old 19.01.2011, 10:43 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuds100 View Post
I would rather trade back and hope to pick up Pouncey who could start
day one at Center, round 2 maybe a Guard or DL and with any other picks
of McNabb/Haynesworth/Trade back look for the BPA,
In the later rounds maybe Shanahan could unearth another RB gem.
The same Pouncey that was drafted last year and has been kicking ass with the Steelers?
Old 20.01.2011, 04:20 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harwich Hog View Post
The same Pouncey that was drafted last year and has been kicking ass with the Steelers?

No there is another guy (think it's his brother) coming out this year.
Old 20.01.2011, 12:54 PM
Pro Bowler

It is his brother Mike Pouncey who is listed as the best Guard/Center
prospect in virtually all the mocks,
If he is as good as his bro then a team picking inside of 20 might go for him.
Old 21.01.2011, 10:42 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuds100 View Post
It is his brother Mike Pouncey who is listed as the best Guard/Center
prospect in virtually all the mocks,
If he is as good as his bro then a team picking inside of 20 might go for him.
Though i'm sure he deserved to be there in his own right - the fact that his brother has been pretty 'mazing this season won't do him any harm either.