My 2012 Redskins Hopes & Expectations - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Washington Redskins

Old 24.09.2012, 11:54 AM
All Pro

So, what's everybody's opinion now that we're three games into the season?

On the plus side, RGIII is exactly as advertised. Unfortunately, the same can be said of the O-line and secondary.

The offense has been able to contribute a minimum of three touchdowns (don't forget: one defensive touchdown in each of the past two games) per game and there's been a reduction in turnovers. Definitely an improvement thus far. However, the offense does go through periods of being completely ineffective (as in seasons past). Largely, the problem comes when they're ineffective on first and second down. Those 3rd and longs are killing them. In part this is definitely down to the offensive line play and quite possibly the one thing that's going to be difficult to fix this year. Morris looks good, but how often is he the one doing the hard work to get positive yards out of a difficult situation? So far, I am not impressed by our running attack and I don't blame the backs on this one.

The secondary has definitely regressed. Although we all knew this was a weakness, it is worth considering that the losses have been Landry and Atogwe, who were mostly injured last season anyway and didn't play as much as hoped (and therefore not a great subtraction) and Kevin Barnes, who can be replaced by almost any other CB in the league without much change. Even when they put the opposition in 3rd and Long situations, they give up the first more often than not. An improved pass rush might just help the secondary, but where is it going to come from? Orakpo may be a touch overrated, but he does draw double teams, allowing Kerrigan to do more. Wilson, Jackson and White can't provide that. What might help is as he plays more, Jarvis Jenkins may start to challenge opposing offensive lines, as he looked capable of doing last preseason before going out with an injury. For now, though, he still has a ways to go.

Not having first round picks the next two seasons coupled with the impending cap penalty next year are going to continue to hurt this team. The former wouldn't be as disastrous if it weren't for the latter. The important thing to remember is, providing they don't wear him down quickly with all of the hits, RGIII should be a major asset to this team for some time to come. Next year might not look any better overall, but come year 3, 4 or even 5 of his career, this team could be looking a lot better than it is today.
Old 24.09.2012, 05:02 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_friend_goo View Post

On the plus side, RGIII is exactly as advertised. Unfortunately, the same can be said of the O-line and secondary.
And if things continue the way they are and RGIII keeps getting hit, he's going to be out injured. They can't keep having him running the option as often as they do. It always ends with him getting pummelled, most of the time legally.
Old 24.09.2012, 06:41 PM
Team Captain

Our D has failed to stop teams for some time, even with Orakpo on the field and the DB situation is making it worse. After week 2 our D was 28th in total yardage and gave up 400+ this week.

My real concern is RG III. Some of the hits he takes are just unacceptable (but legal, I'm looking at the plays being called). One option over the left side in particular the end/linebacker just drilled him. He just decided, ok an option play, well the first thing I'm going to hit is you, to hell with anyone else. Some really scary hits. Hope A&E is nearby.
Old 25.09.2012, 06:10 PM
All Pro

32,31,38. Enough said.
Old 25.09.2012, 10:39 PM
Pro Bowler

We would be 3-0 if we hadn't had (Wrongly in my opinion) $18m taken
from our cap, we would have signed a good RT, CB and S without the
Bulls--t penalty.
Old 26.09.2012, 02:13 PM
All Pro

Loving RGIII, getting much more from him than I could ever have expected but along with everyone else I am concerned about how much punishment he is taking. The coaching staff can help by removing the option play out of the playbook because that's a play that IMO is not effective vs NFL defenses and gives them a free shot at Bob whether he runs or pitches.

He needs help though, hopefully Garcon can get back right but I have the feeling he has one of those season-long nagging type of injuries that will keep on bothering him. The OL is the other area that can help, Polumbus is getting killed consistently at right tackle and at left tackle Williams is hurt and whilst it doesn't seem to serious I don't think he'll play this week and might be better missing a game or two and coming back close to 100% rather than trying to play at 75%.

Also pleased with Morris who just works so hard for his yardage and keeps it simple, looks like Helu will miss some significant time with a turf toe injury and Royster is also banged up this week so the newly signed Ryan Grant might get some work quickly.

Defensively it's a mess, the secondary is as advertised if not worse but the pass rush is the most disappointing aspect of everything even with Rak injured it wasn't getting as much pressure as you'd like to see. Maybe getting Merriweather back will help a bit but I wouldn't expect too much.

Right now though the talent can only get you so far and the coaches need to step up and use some smoke and mirrors on defense to confuse teams pre-snap and force mistakes rather than trying to win match-ups.
Old 26.09.2012, 08:23 PM
MVP

I'm tyring to be optimistic and say: the defense can only get better.
Old 01.10.2012, 03:51 PM
MVP

I like how Andy Polian summed up DeAngleo Hall: He's going to more WRs in the probowl than anyone else.
Old 02.10.2012, 12:13 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggo View Post
I like how Andy Polian summed up DeAngleo Hall: He's going to more WRs in the probowl than anyone else.
Hall only really gets beaten as much as any other average corner in the NFL. He's not really as bad as many make him out to be, but he's overrated by some, himself and our coaching staff included.

He's not the main problem with the D, though.
Old 02.10.2012, 02:35 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_friend_goo View Post
Hall only really gets beaten as much as any other average corner in the NFL. He's not really as bad as many make him out to be, but he's overrated by some, himself and our coaching staff included.

He's not the main problem with the D, though.
The problem with Hall is that he talks himself up as one of the best corner backs in the game so when he can't walk the walk, it comes back and bites him in the .....