An old team - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Baltimore Ravens

Old 16.01.2011, 11:29 AM
All Pro

Default An old team

I'm guessing I'm not the only person worried about the age of this team. Reed, Lewis, Birk (Especially after last night), Mason and Heap may be thinking about retiring soon. Suggs had a great season (And night) but won't last forever. Johnson's also getting old.

This leaves us with a lot of positions to fill when these guys retire. Our safeties seem decent but without Reed I have a feeling we will collapse there. The LBs have been good this year but they're aging. The WRs seem to have completely gone this year.

I was impressed with Dickson this year in both his run blocking and in the passing game. I was impressed by Stallworth this year too.

What positions should we look at to draft?
Personally, I'd rank our needs like this:
1. Linebackers
2. Cornerbacks
3. Wide receiver
4. Safety

I don't want to get more big name wide receivers. I want players who know they have to play well to get on the team. Linebacker is a serious need imo. Safety I'm fairly happy with but getting the next Ed Reed wouldn't hurt. I have a feeling next year the special teams will be the only thing between us and being very average.
Old 16.01.2011, 11:44 AM
All Pro

Have to agree to this, tho I trust Ozzie n the guys
Would like us to go for Asomugha, but who knows whats going to happen this offseason with the CBA!
Old 16.01.2011, 05:03 PM
Starter

Totally agree about the age concern. I think it comes with extra problems - look at the "wide receiver solution" this year of grabbing two older guys when what we needed was a younger version of Stallworth.

I am hoping Sergio Kindle will be ready to play next year, if so he can be an extra linebacker draft. I think the biggest problem is at wide receiver - we need a young guy who can grow with Flacco now that he is starting to mature and that can make big plays. As for corners, Wilson, Carr and Webb are not bad players,and they are still young - I wonder if they are the victim of a defensive system that is built so much around the defensive line and linebackers (however little the playcalling seems to suggest).

If we have a lockout next year, just think, some of these older guys might never come back (Mason keeps retiring on me as it is at the end of the 2010 season on Madden 11!)
Old 16.01.2011, 08:12 PM
Pro Bowler

It's something that is going to have to happen over time.

The WR issue is a direct concern as we only have three under contract now I believe (Boldin, Mason, Reed), and one may retire. So they absolutely have to address that area this off-season. Same with CB, we've got Foxy, and Webb under contract. We need to re-sign Carr or Wilson at least, both have been playing far beyond anyone expected of them. That would give us two guys who are comfortable number 2s and a good nickel with Webb. Solid depth.

The rest of it we really need to phase over a few seasons. I think (depending on CBA, obviously) we probably get one more season of Birk, Ed and Ray, as much as I'd like to see the team get those replacements this season, the draft apparently doesn't look that great for FS and ILB, and you can't stress it for the sake of it. Maybe grab an OC if one looks good.

We need to address LT. I'm not sure how though. Oher just isn't good enough to play there in the NFL and he looked like a beast on the right side. If there was any confidence in Gaither I'd say sign him, but you just can't trust him to turn up.

We're going to be looking for a Fullback because McClain is going to want more money than we can, or should, pay him. But that can be resolved in the middle/late in the draft.

We absolutely have to keep Ngata and Yanda. Yanda is to good and versatile a lineman to let him walk out of the door. Ngata is obviously the anchor at the front of our D.

It's kind of scary to see how much talent we've had this season that is now out of contract.

As for Kindle... I don't have any expectations for him. I'd be surprised if he ever played a down in professional football.
Old 16.01.2011, 10:23 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeVanCleef View Post
It's something that is going to have to happen over time.

The WR issue is a direct concern as we only have three under contract now I believe (Boldin, Mason, Reed), and one may retire. So they absolutely have to address that area this off-season. Same with CB, we've got Foxy, and Webb under contract. We need to re-sign Carr or Wilson at least, both have been playing far beyond anyone expected of them. That would give us two guys who are comfortable number 2s and a good nickel with Webb. Solid depth.

The rest of it we really need to phase over a few seasons. I think (depending on CBA, obviously) we probably get one more season of Birk, Ed and Ray, as much as I'd like to see the team get those replacements this season, the draft apparently doesn't look that great for FS and ILB, and you can't stress it for the sake of it. Maybe grab an OC if one looks good.

We need to address LT. I'm not sure how though. Oher just isn't good enough to play there in the NFL and he looked like a beast on the right side. If there was any confidence in Gaither I'd say sign him, but you just can't trust him to turn up.

We're going to be looking for a Fullback because McClain is going to want more money than we can, or should, pay him. But that can be resolved in the middle/late in the draft.

We absolutely have to keep Ngata and Yanda. Yanda is to good and versatile a lineman to let him walk out of the door. Ngata is obviously the anchor at the front of our D.

It's kind of scary to see how much talent we've had this season that is now out of contract.

As for Kindle... I don't have any expectations for him. I'd be surprised if he ever played a down in professional football.
McClain's a very good player and we have no other fullbacks unless Harbaugh wants to experiment with one of the young tight ends, wouldn't want to see him go.
Old 16.01.2011, 10:46 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by argentarius View Post
McClain's a very good player and we have no other fullbacks unless Harbaugh wants to experiment with one of the young tight ends, wouldn't want to see him go.
We'll draft one. Remember we got McClain as a fourth round pick. Fullbacks are fairly expendable in the grand scheme of things and you don't pay them top whack. Ovie Mughelli was a really good player for us and we let him go with no issues because Atl were willing to pay much more than we wanted to for a FB. Also bear in mind that McClain wants to do more as a RB rather than just a lead blocker, which will factor into his expectations as far as wages. He's not going to get as many carries in Baltimore with Rice becoming a feature back.

As of right now, with no CBA in place, it's hard to predict... but we've got much more important cogs like Yanda, Ngata, Grubbs, one of either Wilson or Carr... to sign. You don't pay over the odds for a FB, even if he's as diverse as McClain. (those are off the top of my head, not sure how many are UFAs). and we've also got to do something about positions that could be vacated should we not wish to keep incumbents, such as SS (Landry).

Hell, Koch and Cundiff are UFAs and the field position we've enjoyed with them has been vital.

Don't get me wrong, I really like McClain. His run in Dallas is etched into my brain. But to the team he's not worth the money he'd cost to keep for the role he'd play.

Edit: It's also the reason I don't see us going after Asomugha. He's going to get top corner money on the free market, bear in mind if we want to keep Ngata he's going to get top DT money... and since Haynesworth's deal that's not cheap. Okay that was an aberration, but Ngata is going to get big money. Secondly Aso is 30 before the next season. We need to be getting younger on defence, and I don't think he fits that.

Last edited by LeeVanCleef; 16.01.2011 at 11:01 PM.