Why do YOU follow college football? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Old 22.08.2014, 08:52 AM
Rookie

Default Why do YOU follow college football?

I've been following gridiron ever since the very first Channel 4 show with Nicky Horne in the early 80's. I was captivated by the game, the crowds, the stadiums, everything about it.

Even though I've followed the sport for over 30 years, I wouldn't consider myself a 'professor' of gridiron, just someone who really enjoys the game.

Of course I followed London Monarchs escapades in the World League in the 90's too, but sort of 'stumbled across' the college game just 4 years or so ago when I subscribed to ESPN UK (ironically for their Premier League coverage) and started watching ESPN America. Up till that point, although I'd obviously heard of the college football system, I'd never seen a match, but was completely captivated from the word go.

The passion, the pageantry, the rivalries, the excitement of seeing young players develop into amateur superstars and work towards Heismans and the NFL draft, but most of all the crowds and the atmosphere in some of those immense stadiums, with the rabid enthusiasm of the fans, all for me, leave the NFL feeling 'cold, subdued and corporate' by comparison.

So now, I'm a total college convert - I'm not saying I wouldn't, or don't follow the odd NFL game, I do from time to time - but it's the College Season that captivates me and I can't wait to take my seat in the Hogan at for Croke Park next week! I doubt very much that there'll be anything like 16,000 American fans over at Wembley any time this year!
Old 22.08.2014, 09:02 AM
All Pro

For the same reason that I follow people I like the smell of on the street - the voices in my head tell me to.
Old 22.08.2014, 09:43 AM
All Pro

I love it for so many reasons but mainly I just like the nervous feeling of impending doom in my stomach from September until the first loss of the season. Its just completely unique in the fact that so much is riding on games whereas in most other sports you can survive multiple losses.
Old 22.08.2014, 10:25 AM
MVP

Wow that's a question and a half, if I get a spare 5 hours at some point I'll explain my love of college sports.
Old 22.08.2014, 12:45 PM
Rookie

[QUOTE=Morpeth Knight;2085329]
The passion, the pageantry, the rivalries, the excitement of seeing young players develop into amateur superstars and work towards Heismans and the NFL draft, but most of all the crowds and the atmosphere in some of those immense stadiums, with the rabid enthusiasm of the fans, all for me, leave the NFL feeling 'cold, subdued and corporate' by comparison.
QUOTE]

pretty much the same as this, though the 71-7 drubbings are less enjoyable
Old 22.08.2014, 02:41 PM
Rookie

[QUOTE=
pretty much the same as this, though the 71-7 drubbings are less enjoyable[/QUOTE]

Yeah 71-7's are a touch crazy-pointless. But hey how's about some of the 65-59's, 52-42 etc? Again, another thing I love about college are some of those high scoring (but close) games, last years UCF at Louisville and UCF at Penn State being two obvious examples.
Old 22.08.2014, 03:24 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpeth Knight View Post
Yeah 71-7's are a touch crazy-pointless. But hey how's about some of the 65-59's, 52-42 etc? Again, another thing I love about college are some of those high scoring (but close) games, last years UCF at Louisville and UCF at Penn State being two obvious examples.
I hate hight scoring close games as much as i hate blow outs. You might as well watch basketball if you're interested in seeing scores on nearly every possession. Give me good defence every time!
Old 22.08.2014, 04:14 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Presley View Post
I hate hight scoring close games as much as i hate blow outs. You might as well watch basketball if you're interested in seeing scores on nearly every possession. Give me good defence every time!
An interesting view Jack. Good defences certainly make for an 'interesting spectacle', in just the same way I guess as I've seen some 'classic 0-0 footy matches' over the years and have left the ground still feeling very satisfied. Having said that, give me a 3-2, or 4-3 soccer match any time. On this basis and also the fact that possession and scoring differs so much between the different games, I think my 'perfect' gridiron score would be along lines of 33-26. or maybe 26-23?
Old 22.08.2014, 05:53 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Presley View Post
for me good defence is for the pros, college is all about 80 yard runs, one handed highlight reel grabs and returning failed field goals with no time on the clock.
Old 22.08.2014, 07:43 PM
MVP

Having had all day to think about it I think what I like most about college ball is each team has it's own character, be it the conference they play in, SEC teams seem to have a collective identity which is separate to the collective identity of the Big Ten.

Be it the style of football they play, Alabama are worlds apart in offensive philosophy from Oregon.

Be it the traditions, nothing annoys me more than seeing Iowa do the Gator chomp wtf is that all about?

Or be it the stadiums, even watching on TV The Swamp "feels" different to Kyle Field, feels different to Broncos Stadium feels different to...

Every game in college actually feels unique, after a while NFL games merge into one, for me there's little difference to Steelers vs Ravens or Chargers vs Chiefs.

Don't ask me to choose between the Rams or the Gators though, that would be like choosing between my none existent children.