Please can we stop with the Ryan-Love now please? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 18.10.2008, 05:52 PM
MVP

Angry Please can we stop with the Ryan-Love now please?

He has only played 6 games in the NFL..... He is 15th in the league for passing yards, Joint 15th for TD's and 17th for passer rating.... He arrived from Boston College expected to lose every game/sit on the bench this season and help the Atlanta Falcons rebuild. Who is this? Matt Ryan? Oh him! Wow... i thought he was the Tom Brady guy?!

Lets face it, the expectations for Matt Ryan were low. So to be 4-2 going into the bye week is a great situation to be in and nobody is happier about our start than me. But, using a specific choice of language, it is our start, not Ryan's. There are 52 other players on the roster all playing above expectations resulting in that winning record. Michael Turner has played a massive role in where we find ourselves. John Abraham is a possible pro bowler this year and is beating double teams to lead the league in sacks. Roddy White is 2nd in the league in Receiving yards, but more importantly all the receivers are catching the balls Ryan is throwing and making him who he is.

We were here a few years ago with a certain Mr. Vick and i can't stand here while people make the same mistakes. No QB is better than the rest of his team. The only person who comes close...

Matt Ryan is not Tom Brady. The difference? 219 games. 2208 Completions. 25,302 passing yards. 192 passing TD's.

Is it normal to hail a QB and compare them to one of the best ever before he has thrown 100 completions

I think not.
Old 18.10.2008, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by towen5 View Post
He has only played 6 games in the NFL..... He is 15th in the league for passing yards, Joint 15th for TD's and 17th for passer rating.... He arrived from Boston College expected to lose every game/sit on the bench this season and help the Atlanta Falcons rebuild. Who is this? Matt Ryan? Oh him! Wow... i thought he was the Tom Brady guy?!

Lets face it, the expectations for Matt Ryan were low. So to be 4-2 going into the bye week is a great situation to be in and nobody is happier about our start than me. But, using a specific choice of language, it is our start, not Ryan's. There are 52 other players on the roster all playing above expectations resulting in that winning record. Michael Turner has played a massive role in where we find ourselves. John Abraham is a possible pro bowler this year and is beating double teams to lead the league in sacks. Roddy White is 2nd in the league in Receiving yards, but more importantly all the receivers are catching the balls Ryan is throwing and making him who he is.

We were here a few years ago with a certain Mr. Vick and i can't stand here while people make the same mistakes. No QB is better than the rest of his team. The only person who comes close...

Matt Ryan is not Tom Brady. The difference? 219 games. 2208 Completions. 25,302 passing yards. 192 passing TD's.

Is it normal to hail a QB and compare them to one of the best ever before he has thrown 100 completions

I think not.
agreed 100%

It's natural people are high on him after a great performance against the Bears but y9ou are hearing so many people jumping to conclusions about the future.
Old 18.10.2008, 05:58 PM
MVP

Agreed.

Like I said though I really like Matt Ryan, loved him in BC and think he will be a very good NFL QB. Some of the comparisons being thrown out already though are beyond ridiculous.
Old 18.10.2008, 07:38 PM
MVP

People seem to be taking this post the wrong way elsewhere. My point is that we aren't giving him a chance to prove how good he is. The reason he has done so well is because expectations are low, so if we raise them based on 6 games i can see a lot of people saying i told you so.
Old 18.10.2008, 09:08 PM
All Pro

If anything expectations are becoming more realistic. If you draft a guy 3rd overall and pay him that type of money its would be suprising if people weren't getting excited about him.

I do take your point though. But I think having Ryan come in and play well, on a team which has stepped it up in just about every area from Elam as Kicker to the renaissance of Abraham and Jackson to Turner doing what very few former back-ups manage to do. It is just so exciting and fun. Ryan has helped make the NFL far more enjoyable by his presence and decent form. This has been a really topsy-turvy season so far and guys like Ryan have contributed to that.

If the Falcons can continue to put him in manageable game situations (unlike the game you got blown out and he couldn't outgun the opposition single handed) then we could be watching the start of a very good career.
Old 18.10.2008, 09:15 PM
MVP

Biggest thing from last week was Jamaal Anderson getting his first sack and the confidence he finally began playing with.
Old 18.10.2008, 09:17 PM
Hall of Fame

Smile

If they had the net in 83, people would have probably been making threads titled " can we stop with the Marino love fest please, he has only played 10 games "

Not to mention all the "Elway is a bust" threads
Old 18.10.2008, 09:24 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann_mcelroy View Post
If they had the net in 83, people would have probably been making threads titled " can we stop with the Marino love fest please, he has only played 10 games "

Not to mention all the "Elway is a bust" threads
So now Ryan is being compared to Elway and Marino...?

I don't want to be taken in the wrong way, i am delighted at the way he has played and i'm ecstatic at the start the teams made. Call me cautious but i don't want to have my hand in the cookie jar when the bottom falls out.

All i want is more acknowledgment for the rest of the teams performances and a little cooling on the Matt Ryan is one of the best QB's in the league coming from the younger (and some older) posters on here.

After all, we have recently experience the pain of V*ck.
Old 18.10.2008, 09:28 PM
All Pro

I disagree with you. I say go with it. This season has the potential to be the most exciting and even in years. Guys like Ryan coming into a team and being a part of turning it around are part of the storyline of this year. You can't go saying he's the next Marino or anything like that, but so far this year with the exception of one or two games, he has played well and shown a lot of poise to help the Falcons win. Its great to watch, exciting to see happening, and promising for the future.
Old 18.10.2008, 09:30 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by towen5 View Post
So now Ryan is being compared to Elway and Marino...?
Not by me, I am just making a comment on how people can overreact after a few games, and be both right or wrong in the long run.

Nobody would have predicted Marinos career after 10 games as a rookie any better than they would have predicted Elway would have become a HOF'er after what was at that time one of the worst rookie seasons in history.

Tags
atlanta falcons , matt ryan , tom brady