Break the bank for Dez? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 12.11.2014, 08:10 PM
Team Captain

Default Break the bank for Dez?

Hi all.

Does Jerry break the bank(if the cap allows) or play hard ball and let him leave if he does not agree.

After seeing him live on Sunday would love to see him stay.
Old 12.11.2014, 08:48 PM
Hall of Fame

Great question.

It all depends on what he wants. A little bit of salary chatter to set the scene, the top avg/year for WR's are:

Calvin Johnson - $16,207,143
Larry Fitz - $16,142,857
Percy Harvin - $12,849,000
Mike Wallace - £12,000,000
Dwayne Bowe - $11,200,000
Vincent Jackson - $11,111,111
Brandon Marshall - $10,000,000
Jordy Nelson - $9,762,500

The 'Total Guaranteed' in all those contracts bar Calvin Johnson (he gets $48.75m) ranges from $11.5m (Nelson) to $27m (Fitz & Wallace). The Wallace, Bowe and Jackson deals look pricey imo.

So look at the recent Nelson and Marshall deals. Now Nelson has Rodgers throwing to him, but he's still good. He got a 4 year extension, at age 29, which was more or less $40m over 4 years, with $11.5m signing bonus. Brandon Marshall, 3yr/$30m, got almost half his money guaranteed, Nelson closer to 30%.

Dez is 26. He's never been the fastest, so as he gets older you don't have to worry about his loss of speed affecting him as much as others. He's in his prime (as long as the back issues are behind him, pardon the pun). So what's Dez worth? He's better than Wallace, Bowe and Jackson, but those deals are crazy. Something around the $11m/year mark would be good imo.

What would i offer.......

6 year, $65m, with $24m guaranteed. That's an avg of $10.83m/yr. Keep the numbers pretty even from year to year salary cap permitting, $12m signing bonus, and $3m guaranteed over each of the first 4 years. The cap will go up, but we don't want to place ourselves back in 'cap hell' if we need to cut ties for any reason.

*I expect Dez would be looking at $12m+/yr. My offer would be laughed at, especially given current/future WR contracts. I think 6yr/$85m/$35m guaranteed would be closer to it. Although that's starting to get a little pricey for my tastes.

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 12.11.2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12.11.2014, 09:14 PM
Hall of Fame

Dez's comment on Wednesday according to ESPN:

"It's all about respect. It's all about respect," Bryant said Wednesday. "I am a very loyal person, but just don't test my loyalty."

Don't test my loyalty? This will get expensive. It surely won't take $15m/year..........would it?! Its hard to let a guy in his prime go, but where is the line? I don't imagine he'd take too kindly to being 'tagged'. Terrance Williams is a #2 WR, so if he left we'd be left with very little. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't?
Old 13.11.2014, 11:04 AM
Team Captain

Well, if you let him go then who do you replace him with?
And how much will a replacement of his calibre cost?
Does anyone know who may potentially be available next season?
So many questions...
Old 13.11.2014, 04:03 PM
Rookie

"Don't test my loyalty" equals "Don't try and under-pay me just because I love this team". Fair play to Dez. If you want a WR of his quality and age on your team for the next 10 years, it ain't gonna be cheap!
Old 13.11.2014, 05:14 PM
Team Captain

Agree. Cowboys should stick with what they have and pay the going rate. Suppose I should ask you all the same question about Murray?
Old 13.11.2014, 05:20 PM
Hall of Fame

The problem is the future salary cap jumps mean any figures out there today will become below market value before too long. That's the issue with all this, throw in the bloated contracts of some WR's who went to needy teams, like Mike Wallace and the Dolphins, and it's a nightmare I expect.

The 10 year thing is nonsense though. Dez ain't playing for the Cowboys when he's 37, never mind on the fairy tail contract numbers that a 10 year contract would give him in 2023/24.
Old 13.11.2014, 06:24 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMurphy81 View Post
Agree. Cowboys should stick with what they have and pay the going rate. Suppose I should ask you all the same question about Murray?
Depends what's left to go around once you sign Dez? If they have to tag Dez then there will be even less.

Romo's cap number next year is $27,773,000

Henry Melton will be $9,250,250 if they 'activate' the remainder of his contract.

Doug Free will need to rework his $11,020,000 cap number.

Brandon Carr?.........$12,717,000.

You get the picture.
Old 16.11.2014, 04:50 PM
Pro

If they let Dez go they would be stupid as he attracts so much attention and he is a part of the Cowboy branding already. He could be another Michael Irvin in years to come and look what he has done for the Cowboys along with Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith.

Murry is such a down to earth player that just wants to play football at the moment but he will want paying a big sum with the success he is bringing to the team at the end off the season (i.e. the Superbowl).

If these players don't get good contracts then there will be teams bending over backwards to have them in their team.
Old 16.11.2014, 05:06 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrik2002 View Post
If they let Dez go they would be stupid as he attracts so much attention and he is a part of the Cowboy branding already. He could be another Michael Irvin in years to come and look what he has done for the Cowboys along with Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith.

Murry is such a down to earth player that just wants to play football at the moment but he will want paying a big sum with the success he is bringing to the team at the end off the season (i.e. the Superbowl).

If these players don't get good contracts then there will be teams bending over backwards to have them in their team.
Did I read that right? The Cowboys are going to the Superbowl?

I don't think teams will be tripping over themselves to sign Murray to mega money, especially coming off a near 400 carry season. Don't get me wrong, he'll get a 'good' contract, either in Dallas or elsewhere, but all those carries, his fumble issues, and his lack of break away speed will keep the cost down. Plus, the draft has several good RB's this year it seems.

Dez won't go anywhere. He'll get tagged if they don't sort a contract. I get the feeling Dez won't be too happy about being tagged, so it could get 'interesting' to say the least.