Thoughts on this season...and where next... - Page 4 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 09.01.2013, 04:07 AM
Team Captain

Well there goes Rob Ryan...

I know JJ said big changes were coming but I honestly thought Ryan would still be here for '13.
Old 09.01.2013, 07:04 PM

Anyone else think the "change in philosophy" promised means a move more towards a 4-3 coach?

I'm not so sure as a lot depends on free agency and the draft. We need someone quite flexible, which is what Ryan was at least.

Sadly it appears his worst fault, lack of organisation has cost him his job.
Old 10.01.2013, 09:36 AM
Team Captain

do you not think that when everyone is healthy a 3-4 suits the team more? with carter playing really well him and lee together is surely desirable, what with us having limited d-line options?
Old 10.01.2013, 09:53 AM
Pro Bowler

Yeah I think we definitely have better personnel for 3-4 at the moment.
Old 10.01.2013, 10:06 AM

Oh I agree, I wouldn't shift. Its just trying to understand in what direction we are meant to be now going. Though I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Old 10.01.2013, 10:17 AM
Team Captain

On first impression of the talent coming into the draft, it looks as though the top O line prospects may not fall to where we are positioned.

There's every chance that an ideal player will, but if not do people think we should be going O line regardless?
Old 10.01.2013, 11:34 AM

No I think it needs to be D-line. If we can't secure Spencer then we may need to look at pass rusher. But the age of the unit and now the depth being an issue because of Brent, I think it needs to be the case unless a stud player lke Womack drops to us.

Everyone is excited about Barrett Jones and whilst I think his stock will rise hugely when teams get sat with him and talk to him, he's got to have surgery and he's not been graded as high as many expect for the NFL. So he may be a second round pick, and someone we could nip back in for.

But I think unless its a no brainer outstanding value pick on the OL, we need DL first.
Old 10.01.2013, 12:23 PM
Team Captain

Have we got 1 pick in each round this year?

One of the analysts on CBS sports website has us taking QB Mike Glennon in the first round! really???

If Spencer goes, can carter move to the outside like in college or do you think we should stick with where he looked really quality this year?
Old 10.01.2013, 01:14 PM
Team Captain

I like the possibility of a switch to the 4-3.

I think the pieces are there and are better suited. One of the biggest knocks on Ratliff was him being undersized for a NT. Going to the 4-3 would take the pressure off. Then you've got Hatcher, Lissemore and Crawford in the mix as well.

Lee would stay at MLB and Carter would move to weak side LB where he actually played in college. At the other LB spot, unless somebody else is brought in through the draft or FA, i'd go with Albright.

At DE you've got Ware and Spencer going forward every snap. No dropping back into coverage.

@ Lax. Picks in the first 6 rounds. We traded the 7th for Ryan Cook. Not sure about any compensatory picks we might have.
Old 10.01.2013, 01:14 PM

Carter can't be a 3-4 OLB. In a 4-3 he can shuffle outside. The personnel just doesn't fit a 4-3. We only experimented with it due to the injuries and the guys off the sofa we signed.

I'd be staggered if we took a QB first round. The talent isn't there to merit the picks and there's some teams who'll be desperate for them. The one I like the most is Ryan Nassib of Syracuse but again he'll likely move up and up the charts.