Terrestrial/Free To Air NFL Coverage Discussion - Page 34 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Old 03.08.2015, 10:14 AM
Pro Bowler

I hope there is still room for a weekly highlights package. Eurosports one is ok, but the timing of it is often skewed meaning if it is recorded by a Tivo box it doesn't pick up the whole show.

I thought the first year of C4 was great, but as soon as they relegated the highlights pakcage and tried to dress it up as a good thing I was concerned.
Old 03.08.2015, 10:17 AM
Pro Bowler

Aren't the Super Bowl, SNF and MNF sold as separate packages, though?
Old 03.08.2015, 10:43 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinoxx View Post
Aren't the Super Bowl, SNF and MNF sold as separate packages, though?
I think there's concept of an FTA package which the NFL wishes to place on terrestrial as a shop window for the sport. So the Super Bowl as it's biggest brand and live or highlights of the Wembley games are seen as the main things for this.
But there is a strong desire to keep a weekly live game FTA as well, for the last 15+ years, at various points SNF and/or MNF on C4 and C5. ESPNuk took the MNF at one point which subsequently led to the BBC ending up showing it last minute on the red button once they dropped it. Now it's found a regular place on Sky, SNF is still the game of choice to get the student/bleary eyed parent of young children/shiftworker/time shifted viewers engaged.

It's only since 2013 that the whole FTA package was with one terrestrial broadcaster. That happened in the early 2000's on Channel 5 but was split up in between that time. But if Channel 4 doesn't want it and Channel 5/ITV have other commitments then you're running out of options so probably makes sense to lump it in with the Super Bowl as part of the deal.

Last edited by jonno; 03.08.2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03.08.2015, 11:47 AM
All Pro

There aren't any fixed "packages" of rights for the UK market.
NFLUK will go with what they believe to be the best options available to them, for as much programming as they can get scheduled.

Clearly it's a policy of NFLUK to keep Live NFL on a major FTA channel, along with other support programming where they can.

Given the long-term deal with Sky which gives them exclusivity on the Playoffs and Sunday 18:00 and 21:00 regular season games, what's left amounts to SNF, Wembley games, the Superbowl, Live Radio, plus highlights and other support programming.

Overall (though not perfect - some issues with "on-demand"), C4 did a great job with the TV (and related) parts of this IMHO.

As to whether C4 "dropped" the NFL, or whether NFLUK went with what they considered to be a better option available from the BBC, we'll just have to wait and see. the politics and behind-the-scenes shenanigans can get a bit murky in these situations.

Personally, I wouldn't count my chickens here - assuming C4 are'nt jumping the gun when they stated the NFL would be on the BBC, I'll be pretty surprised if the BBC are willing to match C4's level of coverage on the TV, streaming, and on-demand side - it would also be a major coup pulled off by NFLUK if they did.

In short, I'll believe the BBC will cover it to near-enough the same levels as C4 have in recent years when I see it.... Until proved otherwise, we're still quite possibly in a "cobble together whatever we can at the last minute" scenario like last time....

Last edited by BigTone; 03.08.2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03.08.2015, 11:51 AM
All Pro

I tweeted Simon Clancy to see if he knew whether radio coverage would be part of the BBC rights. He said if it were America he'd 'take the 5th'. In other words, watch this space...
Old 03.08.2015, 01:20 PM
All Pro

OK then, waiting for an official announcement with interest...
Old 03.08.2015, 07:02 PM
All Pro

Would be a real shame if SNF gets the same treatment BBC offered the MNF coverage a few years back. Especially after the love and care Channel 4 and 5 have shown for those games for such a long time.

My trust of the BBC to handle any sports coverage competently plummets every day, so lets hope they can prove me wrong.
Old 03.08.2015, 07:07 PM
Rookie

After the tennis I dread to think what the Beeb might do to American Football.
I look forwards to more Care Balding trying to throw a hail mary.
Old 04.08.2015, 09:25 AM
Pro

Based on their coverage of the Open golf, I hope no SNF games go to OT.
They'd whip it off air in order to show a scheduled 4:30am rerun of Cash in the Attic!
Old 05.08.2015, 08:23 AM
All Pro

If SNF is behind the red button with no studio coverage it will definitely be a step backwards.