New To College Football - Page 48 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Old 11.09.2015, 03:54 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdav View Post
They are wearing special "Aggie Nights" blackout uniforms for South Carolina game complete with glow in the dark helmets. Would be pretty funny if they end up playing in daylight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_T View Post
Looking at the schedule for that week I would guess it's going to be 3.30et or 7et
I assumed it wouldnt be the late game with more enticing options elsewhere in the SEC. Hoping it isnt in the evening as supposed to be driving back to Arlington that night ahead of the Hawks@Cowboys game but sounds like it may be if they are going for glow in the dark helmets.

Cheers for the info guys.
Old 18.09.2015, 10:47 AM
Starter

does anyone know if the nfl cfb 24/7 podcast has been cancelled? there hasn't been a new episode for ages!

can anyone recommend any other good college football podcasts?
Old 18.09.2015, 11:36 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by essexdawg View Post
does anyone know if the nfl cfb 24/7 podcast has been cancelled? there hasn't been a new episode for ages!

can anyone recommend any other good college football podcasts?
My favourite is the Solid Verbal, good mix of analysis and humour.

Also recommend The Audible from Fox Sports.
Old 18.09.2015, 11:58 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin_Akie View Post
My favourite is the Solid Verbal, good mix of analysis and humour.

Also recommend The Audible from Fox Sports.
cheers. i'll give the solid verbal a go
Old 09.11.2015, 12:18 AM
Pro Bowler

Another new follower of college football and this thread has been an absolute godsend !
I just recently realised how many college games are shown on BT Sport each week, I always thought only 1 or 2 were shown so never really got into it before.

Im keeping an open mind and trying to watch as many of the games as possible (especially top 25) but I have come across a few which I seem to be leaning towards. Any background /advice / views / reasons to not support any of these teams ?

Clemson - watched them a few times and seem a good exciting team to support
Notre Dame - catholic and irish family roots ... enough said
Alabama - watched them against LSU last night and instantly supported them, great atmosphere & stadium
Ohio State - family member in US suggested them

I think they are all towards to the Eastern US so hopefully will be on tv at a semi reasonable time of night. Also, is it possible to get tickets to College games ? Iv read some teams have been sold out for years on end !
Old 09.11.2015, 10:29 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylee73 View Post
Another new follower of college football and this thread has been an absolute godsend !
I just recently realised how many college games are shown on BT Sport each week, I always thought only 1 or 2 were shown so never really got into it before.

Im keeping an open mind and trying to watch as many of the games as possible (especially top 25) but I have come across a few which I seem to be leaning towards. Any background /advice / views / reasons to not support any of these teams ?

Alabama - watched them against LSU last night and instantly supported them, great atmosphere & stadium

I think they are all towards to the Eastern US so hopefully will be on tv at a semi reasonable time of night. Also, is it possible to get tickets to College games ? Iv read some teams have been sold out for years on end !
Clemson is currently a good shout for a number of reasons, 1) At the risk of you becoming an immediate 'glory hunter', they're ranked #1, at 8-0. They have arguably the countries most in-form quarterback and great strength in depth across the team too, despite losing a number of players in the draft. Also, as you say they are Eastern time so they have been and I'm sure will continue to be a regular on BT over the next month or so as the season climaxes.

Notre Dame is a famously historied programme and if you have any remote Irish connection, could be a no brainer, However, despite a couple of recent BT slots, as an independent team with it's own TV contract for home games (with CBS I think) it's only usually their away games featured on BT.

Bama as you point out are a huge programme with massive support that DOES generate a great atmosphere at the 101,000+ Bryant Denny Stadium. However my impression is that supporting them is perhaps akin to getting into 'Soccer' and immediately supporting Man U or Chelsea! On the upside, they are on BT just about every single week.

Ohio State - ditto most of the above about Bama, except with slightly more limited BT coverage. The diehards on this board will attest to the fact that following a PAC12 team takes some dedication. A lot of their games are on Fox or their own PAC 12 Network, it can take years off your life, with the big time difference often meaning 3am kick offs.

Best of luck with your choice. For my sins, I follow 2 teams, Louisville Cardinals of the ACC and UCF of the AAC. The Cards are having an OK season and hopefully may be bowl-bound again, the Knights however have had one of the biggest falls from grace in history, following a recent Fiesta Bowl win against Baylor and a shared championship last season, they are currently 0-10!!!

Regarding college football tickets - I've not attended a US game yet, some on here have though, I get the impression that 'Stub-Hub' etc is the way forward, so expect to pay more and well over the odds for a big programme and a big game. More affordable possibly in the short term would be this, happening in Dublin - next Sept. I should point out that the atmosphere at last year's Penn State / UCF college game in Dublin was second to none. All who were there have said that with 20,000+ Americans travelling, it was way better than Nfl Wembley.

http://collegefootballireland.com/

Last edited by Northumberland Knight; 09.11.2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09.11.2015, 11:50 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:

That's the best way. My advice would be to keep watching as many as you can. This is the first season I've really tried to pick a team to follow long term, but I've found myself flipping from one team to the next, as like you say, there are a lot to choose from. I get the feeling after a whole season of searching you'll narrow the list down considerably, then over time you'll settle on one or two.

One thing I would say is look for teams that have a reasonable chances of recruiting decent players. Without that I'd imagine the long term could be quite a grind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northumberland Knight View Post
Best of luck with your choice. For my sins, I follow 2 teams, Louisville Cardinals of the ACC and UCF of the AAC. The Cards are having an OK season and hopefully may be bowl-bound again, the Knights however have had one of the biggest falls from grace in history, following a recent Fiesta Bowl win against Baylor and a shared championship last season, they are currently 0-10!!!
Ouch! Oh for Blake Bortles eh?
Old 09.11.2015, 02:06 PM
Pro Bowler

Northumberland Knight

Great stuff mate some good background info there, thanks very much ! I had a feeling they were all big/fairly big teams and as a lifelong Newcastle fan I tend not to do the glory following thing.
Thanks for the link, I hadnt even heard of college football being played in Dublin before, Iv registered on the site so hopefully can pick up a ticket when they get released.

How did you end up following Louisville and UCF (thats an impressive collapse !) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
That's the best way. My advice would be to keep watching as many as you can. This is the first season I've really tried to pick a team to follow long term, but I've found myself flipping from one team to the next, as like you say, there are a lot to choose from. I get the feeling after a whole season of searching you'll narrow the list down considerably, then over time you'll settle on one or two.

One thing I would say is look for teams that have a reasonable chances of recruiting decent players. Without that I'd imagine the long term could be quite a grind.
Yeah, I have kind of lost abit of interest in Premiership football lately and have been watching alot more NFL and college football so will see who stands out thru the rest of this season and next.
I suppose there isnt really an easy way to avoid jumping on the back of a big team as they will be the ones with most tv coverage.
Old 09.11.2015, 02:31 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Yeah, I have kind of lost abit of interest in Premiership football lately and have been watching alot more NFL and college football so will see who stands out thru the rest of this season and next.
I suppose there isnt really an easy way to avoid jumping on the back of a big team as they will be the ones with most tv coverage.
As you're a Steelers fan, you may want to have a passing interest in Iowa, if only for the fact that they model their uniforms after the Steelers!

Iowa coincidentally had the same colours as the Steelers but it goes back to the 70's when the new coach at the time wanted to turn around their 17 straight losing seasons, and one of the changes he made was if they wanted to be winners, they had to dress like winners. (So why not pick the example of the Steelers? ) So the coach got the Steelers permission to replicate the design of Iowa's uniforms to be the same as theirs.

Iowa are doing quite well this season too at 9-0 although that record may flatter them a little. The last few years, they've been an up and down team (not great but not bad either) and sometimes making the top 25.

Having said all that, I'm a USC Trojans fan for college football myself! But I always keep an eye out for Iowa because of the Steelers 'link'.

Last edited by Crusader; 09.11.2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09.11.2015, 02:32 PM
Starter

Quote:
Northumberland Knight

Great stuff mate some good background info there, thanks very much ! I had a feeling they were all big/fairly big teams and as a lifelong Newcastle fan I tend not to do the glory following thing.
Thanks for the link, I hadnt even heard of college football being played in Dublin before, Iv registered on the site so hopefully can pick up a ticket when they get released.

How did you end up following Louisville and UCF (that's an impressive collapse !)
Well as native of Middlesbrough, I'm even less of a glory hunter!!! Started following UCF as they were one of the teams played in Dublin last year, I knew there was 25,000 Penn State fans coming and only around 5,000 from Orlando, so as a Boro fan, I had to go with the underdog!

There is bizarrely a Boro connection with Louisville too. They caught my eye a few seasons ago with Teddy Bridgewater was their QB. I did a bit of research on the city and discovered that they have a bridge over there which is like a mini replica of Middlesbrough's Newport bridge, so the deal was done!