New To College Football - Page 46 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Old 13.08.2015, 03:52 PM
MVP

Next thing in the competition is UCLA and Nebraska pretty much have the same uniform in different colours. I prefer UCLA powder blue/gold over could be NC state or Wisconsin or Louisville myself and the lettering/numbers are much better.
Old 30.08.2015, 10:33 PM
Pro Bowler

Looking at getting into college football. Which Texas team do most Cowboys fans follow?
Old 31.08.2015, 07:12 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopwood View Post
Looking at getting into college football. Which Texas team do most Cowboys fans follow?
Texas Longhorns. TCU plays very close to the Cowboys, in Fort-Worth. And they should be the best team in Texas this year, some say the whole country. But the Longhorns dominate the state of Texas in college just like the Cowboys do in pro football, as you will see by this map:

Old 31.08.2015, 07:23 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley_Man View Post
I'm backing away from Ohio State, I like the uniforms and it's my favourite players alma mater (Nick Mangold) but I don't like jumping on the bandwagon. A team like Michigan is more what I like, a sense of history but no recent success.

However I'm leaning more towards Nebraska. I like the uniforms, I like the history. I like the fact that Bruce Springsteen has a song called Nebraska (I sure hope that's the cornhuskers fight song). They've got a new coach so now seems like a good time to start rooting for them.

I'm still liking Texas, and I'm also a bit intrigued by UCLA. I'd imagine I'm much more likely to end up visiting LA than Lincoln.
Well those 2 are bitter rivals, OSU and Michigan. If you can it's nice to pick a team because of some connection or other, but not everyone has one. I picked Ohio State because we stopped over in Columbus where I friend of mine lived and went to uni, we were en route between Steelers games at Cincinnati and in Pittsburgh. Did a tour of the Ohio State campus, went into the stadium (over 100,000 capacity!), climbed right to the top of the stands - absolutely loved it! I didn't know a lot about college football prior to that but the Bucks became my team after that. The fact that it is close to Pittsburgh and we have so many players from Ohio State at the Steelers also helps (including 3 of our no.1 picks in recent years: Santonio Holmes, Cam Heyward, Ryan Shazier).

You're right that you're more likely to visit LA incidentally than Lincoln, but there is definitely some charm to visiting parts of America for football - i.e. places where very few tourists ever make it. Anyone who has ever been to the US beyond the usual east coast, west coast, Florida, Vegas etc will tell you it's a completely different experience. I took a non-football fan friend with me on a trip through Pennsylvania once and he loved it, still talks about it now, years on. It's really a great experience and so different from New York or LA or whatever. I would bet that Nebraska would be just that as well.

Then your other option is to link to the Jets somehow. The logical choice there is Rutgers as the big NJ football program.
Old 31.08.2015, 07:26 AM
Pro Bowler

[QUOTE=European Bob;2204395]Texas Longhorns. TCU plays very close to the Cowboys, in Fort-Worth. And they should be the best team in Texas this year, some say the whole country. But the Longhorns dominate the state of Texas in college just like the Cowboys do in pro football, as you will see by this map:

Thanks for that Bob, had a feeling it was the Longhorns and thanks for confirming that.
Daz
Old 31.08.2015, 09:30 AM
MVP

These maps are quite interesting actually. It measures team 'likes' on Facebook according to geography. Obviously Facebook isn't likely to give you a 100% accurate picture but it gives a rough idea of who is popular where.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-map.html?_r=0
Old 31.08.2015, 10:43 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
These maps are quite interesting actually. It measures team 'likes' on Facebook according to geography. Obviously Facebook isn't likely to give you a 100% accurate picture but it gives a rough idea of who is popular where.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-map.html?_r=0
Nice map!

A good way to see the 'islands' of support for teams in certain areas. For people looking for a team to follow it could help with the 'underdog' tag that some are drawn to. Like you say it's Facebook, so you have to take it with a pinch of salt, but it's a starting point.

I'm drawn towards teams in the North East. Penn State is my starting point, but this map gives me a few teams to keep an eye on.
Old 31.08.2015, 11:06 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Nice map!

A good way to see the 'islands' of support for teams in certain areas. For people looking for a team to follow it could help with the 'underdog' tag that some are drawn to. Like you say it's Facebook, so you have to take it with a pinch of salt, but it's a starting point.

I'm drawn towards teams in the North East. Penn State is my starting point, but this map gives me a few teams to keep an eye on.
There were a few things from that map that I hadn't realised before, like for example how much more popular South Carolina is than Clemson. Similar sized stadiums and Clemson probably gets more media coverage as well but they are very much the 2nd team. I also hadn't realised that Notre Dame's reach went into NYC as well. I knew ND was Chicago's team. Though it's true that in NYC people aren't really that into college football. Pennsylvania is probably the only state in the geographic north-east of America where college football is huge, except in Pittsburgh (I'm not sure about Philly) where it's really not and it is very much a Steeler town. Then your main areas for college are the southern states, Midwestern states and the west coast.
Old 31.08.2015, 12:04 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
There were a few things from that map that I hadn't realised before, like for example how much more popular South Carolina is than Clemson. Similar sized stadiums and Clemson probably gets more media coverage as well but they are very much the 2nd team. I also hadn't realised that Notre Dame's reach went into NYC as well. I knew ND was Chicago's team. Though it's true that in NYC people aren't really that into college football. Pennsylvania is probably the only state in the geographic north-east of America where college football is huge, except in Pittsburgh (I'm not sure about Philly) where it's really not and it is very much a Steeler town. Then your main areas for college are the southern states, Midwestern states and the west coast.
Clemson is sandwiched between the Carolina's, Tennessee and Georgia. In differing ways (success, geography, state allegiance) that is a lot to overcome in terms of support.

Notre Dame I've always assumed is a religion based following. Obviously there are other Catholic Universities, but I'm guessing Notre Dame is at the top of the tree in terms of following.

Funny how the 'State' teams aren't actually followed by most of the state. E.g. Michigan State has an 'island' of support in Michigan. Iowa State an 'island in Iowa. Oklahoma State, an 'island' in Oklahoma. Kansas State the same in Kansas. Arizona State is the only exception I could see.
Old 31.08.2015, 12:43 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Clemson is sandwiched between the Carolina's, Tennessee and Georgia. In differing ways (success, geography, state allegiance) that is a lot to overcome in terms of support.

Notre Dame I've always assumed is a religion based following. Obviously there are other Catholic Universities, but I'm guessing Notre Dame is at the top of the tree in terms of following.

Funny how the 'State' teams aren't actually followed by most of the state. E.g. Michigan State has an 'island' of support in Michigan. Iowa State an 'island in Iowa. Oklahoma State, an 'island' in Oklahoma. Kansas State the same in Kansas. Arizona State is the only exception I could see.
Lousiana, Penn and Ohio are the big state ones. But yeah it's interesting that in most states where there is a team with State in the name and team without, it's the team without that has the bigger following. Mississippi, Oregon, even Florida really.