Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 14.06.2014, 05:32 AM
MVP

Default Chuck Noll Passes Away

RIP

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?story...co.uk%2F%22%7D
Old 14.06.2014, 05:41 AM
MVP

A true legend of the game. Very sad news.
Old 14.06.2014, 05:55 AM
All Pro

Absolutely gutted.
Seems to have been natural causes, so at least no long drawn-out suffering for friends and family. Today, black & gold are mourning colours. RIP chuck, and thanks.
Old 14.06.2014, 06:04 AM
All Pro

yeh gutted too...

It was this guys drafting, coaching and demeanor that moulded the Steelers that i fell in love with.

4 superbowl appearances, 4 wins. Nuf sed!

RIP CHUCK

"It was fun, it really was fun" Chuck Noll

Go Steelers! 2014 let's do it for Chuck!
Old 14.06.2014, 06:08 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible Towel View Post
yeh gutted too...

It was this guys drafting, coaching and demeanor that moulded the Steelers that i fell in love with.

4 superbowl appearances, 4 wins. Nuf sed!

RIP CHUCK

"It was fun, it really was fun" Chuck Noll

Go Steelers! 2014 let's do it for Chuck!
It's a real shame the last two seasons he saw were as poor as they were, and he'll miss what's looking like a bounce-back year for us. Let's hope this year we can buy jerseys with XLIX on one side and Noll memorial patches on the other.
Old 14.06.2014, 06:18 AM
Hall of Fame

I will remind all and any Browns fans reading this that Chuck himself was a Browns fan despite sleeping with the enemy, there will be plenty of times and places to discuss other issues surrounding him but obviously now is not the time and i know that all Brownies on here reading this have come on with no intention of anything other than being respectful
Old 14.06.2014, 06:18 AM
Hall of Fame

Good thing is he lives forever....

In 1969, Chuck Noll took over a Steelers team that had never won a title of any kind. By the time he left 23 seasons later, the Steelers had become one of the NFL's greatest dynasties, with four Super Bowl wins.

The man-mind behind the greatest draft class of all-time....
STEELERS' CLASS: 1974

Steelers history has two eras: things that happened before Chuck Noll arrived, and things that happened afterward.

In the first era, the Steelers were woeful losers. In the first 40 years of their existence the Steelers made the playoffs only twice and did not win a division title until 1972, while treating the NFL draft as if it were punishment instead of a chance to bolster their roster. They often traded away their picks, and they filled the choices they couldn't trade away with names of college players they read about in preseason college football magazines.

They were particularly fallible when it came to quarterbacks, trading away or cutting an impressive list of players, including future Hall of Famers Sid Luckman, Johnny Unitas and Len Dawson as well as Jack Kemp, Earl Morrall and Bill Nelsen, who quarterbacked championship teams in the AFL and NFL in the 1960s. Instead, the Steelers turned their offenses over to an undistinguished group that included Ted Marchibroda, Kent Nix and Dick Shiner.

The Steelers' philosophy turned 180 degrees after Noll was hired as head coach in 1969. He wanted the Steelers to build with their draft choices and set the tone by choosing Joe Greene of North Texas State with his first pick. The selection signaled two hallmarks of the new Pittsburgh Steelers: ferocious defense and terrific drafting.

Noll and his staff were at their drafting best in 1974, starting with Southern Cal wide receiver Lynn Swann with the 21st selection of the first round and not finishing until they had called the names of four men who would end up in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio -- Swann, Kent State linebacker Jack Lambert, Alabama A&M receiver John Stallworth and Wisconsin center Mike Webster.

I love that Mean Joe Greene was Knoll's first draft pick ever as a head coach...that just says everything about what the Steelers became, doesn't it?

1969: "Mean Joe" Greene (Round 1) was Noll's first draft choice, and it signaled the dawn of the Steel Curtain defense. Greene earned NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year honors in 1969 and Defensive Player of the Year awards in 1972 and 1974.

Chuck Noll - legend.

Funny how life works out - if JoePa takes the Steelers job...does Noll succeed elsewhere in another HC postion or get a chance?

He sure made the most of it.
Old 14.06.2014, 06:47 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebladedawg View Post
I will remind all and any Browns fans reading this that Chuck himself was a Browns fan despite sleeping with the enemy, there will be plenty of times and places to discuss other issues surrounding him but obviously now is not the time and i know that all Brownies on here reading this have come on with no intention of anything other than being respectful
i'm scanning this post for it's respectfulness?

Lame.

Maybe you could have highlighted the fact that he was a former Browns player, and you mourn his passing?

Just a thought.
Old 14.06.2014, 06:48 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebladedawg View Post
Not only a fan, your lot drafted him. Think he spent his entire playing career with you, didn't he?
Old 14.06.2014, 07:45 AM
Hall of Fame

Noll has long been maligned by the NFL intelligentsia.

We love to latch onto innovators...and (rightfully so) - Don Coryall and Bill Walsh...(won 3, architect of 4 - closest comparison to Noll - taking over a crap-crap franchise) - but we celebrate Walsh...(again, rightfully so) and yet for the past 30 years - Noll gets the Bradshaw treatment. (Not rightfully so)

Sure he won...but...marbles. So the refrain went.

Hell, Madden gets more respect than Noll and Noll beat Madden 3 out of 4 times...albeit one was crazy cheating anomaly b.s. can we go back in time and use video technology to reverse this prevision!

All I can say is...as fans we love the gameplan and chess match...and in the 70's when Noll was great...it was seen as a game of pure aggression - rules allowed brutality and blunting of of so-called genius.

But that also occurred during Lombardi's reign...and he gets all the praise but Noll never did.

Even as a Raiders fan...I have to admit, Noll really not got his due...because the 70's were so brutal we don't look at that decade as strategic. Poppycock.

It was immensely strategic for it's time...and Noll knew early on and created the D can win a game, a SB concept...people think the NFL was all D before the 80's - it wasn't. It was pass happy.

Noll introduced the concept of D wins championships. He may not be remembered as a great offensive mind (which we love) but he introduced the standard for years and years and years...D wins championships.

I can't hate Noll...because the Steelers and Raiders were mirror images...but Noll - in the 70's did it better when it mattered - we were so close and so similar - but he took home the hardware by crafting a team that was going to suffocate you.

Before the 1985 Bears - there was Chuck Noll.

The man who used his first draft pick to take Joe Greene.

If Chuck Noll never existed, the Raiders would have probably won 5 Super Bowls in the 1970's...as a bitter opponent...that's the greatest compliment I can give...an amazing adversary, who had a vision for defense..and drafted like no other.

Steeler nation lost their papa bear. He made the Steelers.

Last edited by HolyRoller10; 14.06.2014 at 07:49 AM.