Chuck Noll Passes Away - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 14.06.2014, 08:19 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers_wheelman View Post
Not only a fan, your lot drafted him. Think he spent his entire playing career with you, didn't he?
Yeh we drafted him and he was with us for 6 years, the reason i posted he was a Browns fan only was to try and divert anyone who did have a possible intention of coming on to have a pop, was trying to show he was one of us as well despite what had happened in past etc etc.

When events like this happen your always going to get one or two or even get some letting the emotions over ride the thought process and looking for something that is not meant to be there which is why im not replying to a certain post because my intention was not to come on and be disrespectful
Old 14.06.2014, 08:23 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebladedawg View Post
Yeh we drafted him and he was with us for 6 years, the reason i posted he was a Browns fan only was to try and divert anyone who did have a possible intention of coming on to have a pop, was trying to show he was one of us as well despite what had happened in past etc etc.

When events like this happen your always going to get one or two or even get some letting the emotions over ride the thought process and looking for something that is not meant to be there which is why im not replying to a certain post because my intention was not to come on and be disrespectful
Fair does.
It does get a bit sad on here sometimes, with everyone assuming the worst.
Old 14.06.2014, 09:13 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers_wheelman View Post
Fair does.
It does get a bit sad on here sometimes, with everyone assuming the worst.
Yeh as i said that wasnt my intention and i didnt belive that any Browns fans on here would come on either but i just had visions of someone posting something.

Anyhow hopefully both teams will do something on opening weekend
Old 14.06.2014, 09:50 AM
All Pro

One of the all time greats, a man who built through the draft to four superbowls and a defence that's been hailed throughout the ages and will continue to be hailed for as long as the league exists. A coach who also went against the grain whilst other coaches were sleeping in their office Coach Noll believed in family & football and taught his players and assistants the same.

RIP.
Old 14.06.2014, 09:54 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyRoller10 View Post
Noll has long been maligned by the NFL intelligentsia.

We love to latch onto innovators...and (rightfully so) - Don Coryall and Bill Walsh...(won 3, architect of 4 - closest comparison to Noll - taking over a crap-crap franchise) - but we celebrate Walsh...(again, rightfully so) and yet for the past 30 years - Noll gets the Bradshaw treatment. (Not rightfully so)

Sure he won...but...marbles. So the refrain went.

Hell, Madden gets more respect than Noll and Noll beat Madden 3 out of 4 times...albeit one was crazy cheating anomaly b.s. can we go back in time and use video technology to reverse this prevision!

All I can say is...as fans we love the gameplan and chess match...and in the 70's when Noll was great...it was seen as a game of pure aggression - rules allowed brutality and blunting of of so-called genius.

But that also occurred during Lombardi's reign...and he gets all the praise but Noll never did.

Even as a Raiders fan...I have to admit, Noll really not got his due...because the 70's were so brutal we don't look at that decade as strategic. Poppycock.

It was immensely strategic for it's time...and Noll knew early on and created the D can win a game, a SB concept...people think the NFL was all D before the 80's - it wasn't. It was pass happy.

Noll introduced the concept of D wins championships. He may not be remembered as a great offensive mind (which we love) but he introduced the standard for years and years and years...D wins championships.

I can't hate Noll...because the Steelers and Raiders were mirror images...but Noll - in the 70's did it better when it mattered - we were so close and so similar - but he took home the hardware by crafting a team that was going to suffocate you.

Before the 1985 Bears - there was Chuck Noll.

The man who used his first draft pick to take Joe Greene.

If Chuck Noll never existed, the Raiders would have probably won 5 Super Bowls in the 1970's...as a bitter opponent...that's the greatest compliment I can give...an amazing adversary, who had a vision for defense..and drafted like no other.

Steeler nation lost their papa bear. He made the Steelers.

Did you see the Al Davis "A Football Life" where he explains how he called up Chuck Noll and told him to start Bradshaw? and he laughs and says something along the lines of "I promoted the guy and he beat me"
Old 14.06.2014, 02:44 PM
Hall of Fame

RIP Chuck Noll

Old 14.06.2014, 04:04 PM
MVP

A football commentary this morning called Noll one of the Mt Rushmores of NFL coaches which they included Laundry and Lombardy,they did not name a fourth but for me it would be Bill Walsh.I attended one Steeler game while Noll was coaching when they played the Raiders in a play off game.Great coach for sure.

Last edited by 9erfan; 14.06.2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 14.06.2014, 04:09 PM
All Pro

I think it's very hard to not have a huge amount of respect for any coach with an eye for talent like Noll, whether you support his team or their most bitter rivals. Before my time but it's not hard just from a little bit of reading to realise just how influential and brilliant a coach he was, a true legend of the sport.
Old 14.06.2014, 04:26 PM
MVP

R.I.P Chuck Noll.

Certainly shocked and saddened to be reading this today. Can't add anything else to the good posts already on here about him. The Raiders all time nemesis. Even as a Raiders fan, you have to respect the guy of course. Another great gone.

Last edited by Smograider; 14.06.2014 at 04:27 PM. Reason: My daughter messed it all up for me.
Old 14.06.2014, 08:37 PM
Pro Bowler

Football is all about blocking, tackling and passing.

Cant find the exact Noll quote but it was somewhere along these lines.

It sometimes seems that Nolls fairly simplistic overviews caused him to be underrated as a coaching great..This does seem pretty unfair to me.

He also seemed to be pretty guarded with a lack of ego.I think this means his full genius was never fully appreciated outside his inner circle.

Yes, the Steelers were loaded with talent but that is only a part of the equation.To have a team maintain the drive and hunger to reach the top in 4/6 years requires something special.

RIP Chuck you will never be forgotten.