Who starts next season at qb? - Page 4 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Old 03.02.2010, 08:51 PM
Starter

Hi Greenarmy and Marcus85,

Yeah, think the eagles rate Kolb for sure, but as long as Reid is there I don't see McNabb going yet (although he should) and with Vick aswell surely the guy will take matters into his own hands unless there is a great promise to be starter within a year or two.

Think philli do like him (there fans do, read some of their thread!), definately but think a good trade offer would test their resolve with such a strong depth chart...good or not he's a third choice really.

Like the fact he would not be a stop gap, he's a great arm, a real thrower and I think it would raise a few smiles from our high flying offense if he turned up at preseason.......still think we'll stick with Leinart.......probably the right choice as I've said before but the Kolb idea is not bad either.
Old 04.02.2010, 05:19 PM
All Pro

Leinart could surprise. The only chance he had to be starter without any pressure was early in his career where he really hadn't learnt very much about not only the game but also how to carry yourself as a professional athlete.
If I were Ken Whisenhunt I would now take this opportunity to go to him NOW and say - 'Matt you're the number one in training camp', take the pressure off somewhat and encourage him to work hard on technique with his position coach and he better be a good one...if not then hire in someone proven to do the job.
Having said that if he can't make the step up by about game 4 or 5 then you have to think that perhaps he can't make that next NFL step, but until then.... support your quarterback!
Old 04.02.2010, 09:33 PM
Pro Bowler

I hadn't considered Kolb but he's a great option as well.

is he a UFA though or do we have to trade for him?
Q for Kolb????
Though I would rather use Q to get some quality on defence personally
Old 05.02.2010, 06:57 AM
Starter

Would have to agree with the need to improve personnel on defense, think Kolb would have to be a trade but it's a good shout isn't it.
Old 05.02.2010, 11:36 AM
All Pro

Kolb is decent QB with a few games under his belt, but the problem I find is that we need to find a back up that poses no threat in off season training camp. No controversy, It's Leinarts job and it has to be his job for at least a season. I think we need age in the back up. Culpepper, Collins............

On Q's trade value, worth very little in picks, he is 30 with injury problems. I still love the guy and would prefer to see a contract go his way, but he has lost most of his value on the past year. May be very dissapointed with the return on him if he's dealt
Old 05.02.2010, 07:21 PM
Starter

I worry about injury, Leinart isn't at all prone but say the worst happens in either week1 or after the trade deadline, it is probably the downside to Pennington or similar that he may not be strong enough to see out a season either. There are a few younger guys without a starter role....Leftwich (not really a fit but ok), Redman, Carr...

I just don't want to watch StP take a snap.....

With Collins doing ok at the Titans and still around it makes you wish Kurt had stayed another season.
Old 05.02.2010, 07:52 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I worry about injury, Leinart isn't at all prone but say the worst happens in either week1 or after the trade deadline, it is probably the downside to Pennington or similar that he may not be strong enough to see out a season either. There are a few younger guys without a starter role....Leftwich (not really a fit but ok), Redman, Carr...
Redman another reasonable option..but I would rather shoot myself than have Leftwich
Old 06.02.2010, 08:01 AM
Starter

Yeah, Letfwich isn't exactly my choice either as I think he just wouldn't get the best from Fitz etc.

Was just trying to think of qb's who weren't as injury prone or...well, old. Any back up would need to be a bit more durable as well as have something to offer. I might be tempted to take a chance on the very injury prone Pennington because I think he has everything we need to get our o moving, so even if Matt ends up sidelined with Penn it wouldn't be season over - he has the ability to get a good team to post.

Still think we'll be off the pace next term whatever happens, but ther 49ers aren't upto much or the Seahawks so maybe we could make it through by default. I think a winning season (whatever the numbers 9-7?) would be enough.
Old 06.02.2010, 11:46 AM
All Pro

Agree we'll be off the pace, no doubt. I think it's the niners year next year in the division.

Redman is a thought that entered my mind, by Atlanta like him and I don't know his contract situation.

Damon Huard? To my knowledge sitting behind Croyle and Cassell
J.P Losman? Just played UFL
Billy Volek?
Old 06.02.2010, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

I think Chad Pennington would be a good move for you guys as a safety net in case Leinart does not work out.

I wasn't sold on him after watching him all those years playing for the Jets... but seeing him in Miami, I was really impressed, and I'm a big Chad Pennington fan these days. He's not flashy, and doesn't have great arm strength (although it's better than many give him credit for), so most people don't really think he's that great. But his leadership (something I never noticed at the Jets) is great, and he's a general good guy to have around in the locker room. He makes smart decisions and his accuracy is incredible. He so rarely makes a dumb throw.

The biggest downside is his injury history... but if he goes into the season as the back-up, it might not be such an issue. I hope Leinart works out for you guys, and I still think he might do... but I think Chad Pennington might be the best option available (compared to most of the names being brandished around this thread) as a veteran safety net.

I'd love to see the Dolphins resign him to be our veteran back-up, but I just don't see it happening.