AFC Championship. Patriots @ Chiefs. - Page 6 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > Gameday Forum

Old 22.01.2019, 09:13 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post

whatever way you look at it was coin toss had a massive impact.
Exactly, and it is this I don't like. The coin toss should be a tactical advantage: would you rather go first or second? Not something that suddenly gives you triple the chance of winning the game.
Old 22.01.2019, 09:41 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Exactly, and it is this I don't like. The coin toss should be a tactical advantage: would you rather go first or second? Not something that suddenly gives you triple the chance of winning the game.
Perhaps the NFL may consider awarding the team who has the highest seeding the chance to choose if they wish to receive the ball or play Defense. And in a superbowl scenario where the seeding is the same then have other deciders like regular season record, divisional record, head to head if relevant.

Or just be sensible and let both teams posses the ball at least once.
Old 22.01.2019, 06:45 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
The Overtime rule’s fine. If the Chiefs had won the toss and scored a TD, nobody would be saying a word. Their Defense was hot garbage all season, and it came back to bite them on the ass in the end. If you can’t even hold the other team to a FG, especially when you have them facing numerous third and longs, you get no sympathy from me...
since the rule change requiring a TD to finish the game there has been 8 OT play-off games and 5 have been won by the team that won the coin flip scoring a TD after the kick off,the other 3 where all won on FG on the 2nd possession or later.

as pointed out during the game the Chiefs defence where gassed and Reid never called a timeout when we where in goal to go to give them a chance to rest and maybe put some fresh bodies on the field.
Old 22.01.2019, 06:52 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuhaide View Post
Perhaps the NFL may consider awarding the team who has the highest seeding the chance to choose if they wish to receive the ball or play Defense. And in a superbowl scenario where the seeding is the same then have other deciders like regular season record, divisional record, head to head if relevant.
the Chiefs ALREADY had the advantage of hosting the game using the better record so why should that be used later on for another possible advantage.

the Chiefs knew that we would have the right to call the toss but still played for a tying FG rather than take another shot at a TD with 12 seconds left.
Old 22.01.2019, 06:57 PM
Hall of Fame

so after last week when a Chiefs fan nearly hit the Colts punter with a snowball during a play and later in the half the officials had to ask Andy Reid to intervene when other fans where throwing snowballs it now seems that a laser pen was been used on sunday and pointed at Brady pre-snap at times.the NFL "are investigating(haha)" so expect nothing to happen.
Old 22.01.2019, 07:10 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
the Chiefs ALREADY had the advantage of hosting the game using the better record so why should that be used later on for another possible advantage.

the Chiefs knew that we would have the right to call the toss but still played for a tying FG rather than take another shot at a TD with 12 seconds left.

but it would make more sense that a random coin toss, since it would of at least of been earnt.

yeah silly them not risking disaster from a pretty unlikely situation, it was the right call not to throw it again. Pats had everything covered on the previous try and its not like Mahomes could even afford to extend the play to try and create an error.
Old 22.01.2019, 08:47 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Reid would have been criticised for the rest of his days if they went for it at that point and Mahomes forced an INT or a pass that was caught in bounds with then no time to get up on the line and clock it

Wholly the right decision. The problem was a coin toss and the achilles heel all season of a porous secondary up against the GOAT who was in the groove ended their season
Old 22.01.2019, 09:41 PM
GOAT

its funny how narratives can change so quickly, Brady threw a game killing pick and got lucky that Ford made a basic error and the already had 2 picks on the day with one on the goal line.

but he got that massive break and when on to be excellent, he went from goat to GOAT.

if he wins the SB it pretty much kills the GOAT conversation once and for all.

Bill is the key factor in the Pats success but Brady executes it at an elite level.
Old 23.01.2019, 01:19 AM
MVP

Quote:

I don't see what calling the toss has to do with it. It's 50-50.
Old 23.01.2019, 12:44 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
I don't see what calling the toss has to do with it. It's 50-50.
I wonder is it 50-50? I'd say most 'coin flippers' default to looking at 'heads', when they flip a coin. I know I can catch a coin flip, and deliver an expected result 8or9 times out of 10. Letting the coin hit the ground adds a spanner to the works admittedly, but are there any studies out there that have proven conclusively that coin flips are not impacted by which side is 'up' as you flip? As Brady said post match, 'heads was the call', which was an ominous enough observation in my opinion !