NFL names homes teams for 2019 international games - Page 4 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Old 02.01.2019, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird27 View Post
Three of the teams are based in California, which is an awful lot closer to Mexica than Florida
I too would be shocked if the Buccaneers were not playing in London, but roughly speaking

Tampa Bay to Mexico City – 1,200 miles.
Jacksonville to Mexico City – 1,300 miles.
San Diego to Mexico City*— 1,450 miles.
Los Angeles to Mexico City – 1,500 miles.
Oakland to Mexico City – 1,900 miles.

Mexico City is farther south than Cuba, let alone Florida, and is closer to Panama, the most southerly Central American country, than it is to California.

Mind, if the Raiders play in San Antonio, as is one of their rumoured options, that would only be a 700 mile trip.
Old 02.01.2019, 08:39 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
after letting the Mexican fans down last year and them missing the Rams/Chiefs don't think they would dare send the Bucs there and they will want teams in Mexico who will definetly still be play-off contenders which after week 10 onwards when this game normally gets played you cant guarantee the Bucs will be.
I agree. In fact other than the Jags (which are 100% London) I would say the Bucs are the next most certain to be in London and I'd put that at like 95%. Personally I think they will put the Rams in Mexico again to make up for last time.

Meanwhile we know now for sure each team's 8-game home schedule, since the final home opponent was confirmed by the final division standings in week 17. New addition in Italics.

Buccaneers: Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, New York Giants

Chargers: Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Pittsburgh Steelers

Jaguars: Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Tennessee Titans, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Chargers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New York Jets

Raiders: Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Chargers, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Cincinnati Bengals

Rams: Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Chicago Bears
Old 02.01.2019, 08:48 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldenavn View Post
I too would be shocked if the Buccaneers were not playing in London, but roughly speaking

Mexico City is farther south than Cuba, let alone Florida, and is closer to Panama, the most southerly Central American country, than it is to California.

Mind, if the Raiders play in San Antonio, as is one of their rumoured options, that would only be a 700 mile trip.
I can't see the Raiders playing in San Antonio. If you're gonna put up with Field Turf and a stadium that's not fit for NFL you might as well go to Las Vegas now and play in Sam Boyd stadium.

I don't think distance to Mexico City has impact any more than it does on who plays in London.
Old 02.01.2019, 08:54 PM
MVP

An article in the Daily Mail the other day (yes, I know, and they referred to Fox insider Ray Glazer too) says the Raiders are in talks with Tottenham Hotspur about playing a full 8-game schedule at their new stadium.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...d-Raiders.html
Old 02.01.2019, 09:52 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird27 View Post
Three of the teams are based in California, which is an awful lot closer to Mexica than Florida

I would put money on both Florida teams (Jags & Bucs) being two of the four 'home' teams in London.

As for announcements, last year it was on Jan 11th, but it does seem to have been moved back a little each year that passes. I would definitely expect something before the SuperBowl though as they will want to grab everyone's attention before the season ends.
Like I said, I sincearly hope the Bucs will be in London.
Old 03.01.2019, 09:29 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldenavn View Post

I stand corrected. I didn't take Geography at school so it's not my strong point haha.
Old 03.01.2019, 11:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
I can't see the Raiders playing in San Antonio. If you're gonna put up with Field Turf and a stadium that's not fit for NFL you might as well go to Las Vegas now and play in Sam Boyd stadium.
By all accounts the Alamodome meets NFL minimum standards whilst Sam Boyd Stadium would require expensive works. Which would obviously be a wasted investment when the stadium will no longer be needed at all from 2020.

Additionally, there is the issue of whether the team would want to launch themselves in Las Vegas in a small and basic stadium rather than at the new stadium. From a marketing perspective it is not ideal, which is why they would rather stay in Oakland for now rather than move at the earliest opportunity. The Chargers and Titans would not have done it the way they did had they the choice.

I would put them playing in Las Vegas this year as less likely than a season in London. And that seems more like a case of some owners seeing it as a chance to test the idea of a franchise here, and trying to encourage the Raiders to do it for the league. And with more time to properly plan it, that may have been a good idea. But at short notice it seems a bad idea to learn anything from, not to mention having a coach who will baulk at the flying involved.

Also if they did test a team in London for a year it would be better on its own (well, with the Jaguars) rather than in addition to two other games. It would look bad for the league to suddenly cancel the visits of two of the Buccaneers, Chargers, and Rams they have already promoted. And I still think the league sees the Green Bay game against the Chargers as their best chance to bring them over, so they would not want to squander that opportunity.

In most predictions and odds I have seen, San Antonio is second to San Diego as an option outside of remaining the Bay Area.
Old 03.01.2019, 01:39 PM
Rookie

Someone connected to the Jets posted on twitter last month that the Jets would be one of the teams heading over for an international series game. The only team they play on the road who have a home game is the Jags. Safe to say Jets @ Jags will be one of the games.
Old 03.01.2019, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTom View Post
Someone connected to the Jets posted on twitter last month that the Jets would be one of the teams heading over for an international series game. The only team they play on the road who have a home game is the Jags. Safe to say Jets @ Jags will be one of the games.
It was the beat reporter for the New York Daily News, Manish Mehta, and he only said to "expect the Jets to be play" when the league confirmed the number of games.

But when the league announced the international home teams, the Jets were not scheduled to play any of them. It was only the fortune of the final standings that matched them up with the Jaguars. That they would both finish bottom of their divisions was far from guaranteed when he tweeted, or when the home teams were announced.

With Woody Johnson being the U.S. Ambassador to the U.K. it is probably safe to say he would like the Jets to play in London, and so probably made that interest known to the league. But as a road team the decision is up to the London office, the home team, and the broadcasters.

If Jacksonville are willing to give up a home game I am sure the league would like the Texans, a playoff team and one of the remaining three teams not to have played in London. If not it is likely down to just the Chiefs, Jets, or Saints, given the Chargers and Bucs will be playing home games here, with the Saints having played most recently in 2017.

I would not be surprised if it is the Jets, given the limited choices, but as the Jaguars are trying to build support here too I think they would rather send something more attractive for British fans than their opponent with the worst record. They have never even played a team in London that was coming off a losing season.

2013: SF (11–4–1) at JAC (2–14)
2014: DAL (8–8) at JAC (4–12)
2015: BUF (9–7) at JAC (3–13)
2016: IND (8–8) at JAC (5–11)
2017: BAL (8–8) at JAC (3–13)
2018: PHI (13–3) at JAC (10–6)
Old 03.01.2019, 07:18 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
An article in the Daily Mail the other day (yes, I know, and they referred to Fox insider Ray Glazer too) says the Raiders are in talks with Tottenham Hotspur about playing a full 8-game schedule at their new stadium.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...d-Raiders.html
GM Gruden ain't having that,he is on record as not been a big fan of 1 London game never mind 8.think when this was mentioned the NFL Insiders did bring up that this story is nothing more than leverage for the Raiders as they look around California for a rental stadium for next year.

Petco park in SD is the hot pick at the moment.